Newly Diagnosed Diabetes & Probable Acromegaly

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Maestro's Mom, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Maestro's Mom

Maestro's Mom Member

Hello. My 10.5 year old male Maine Coon (Maestro) was diagnosed with diabetes, and a heart murmur. My head has been spinning and my heart breaking as I watch my once healthy boy refuse food, have difficulty walking, and lose weight. We started at 2.0 units of Lantus every 12 hours and I have been home-monitoring his BG with an AlphaTrak 2, calibrated for cats. Switched him to Hills Glucose/Weight Management m/d canned food and have also offered raw fish. He is now on 4.0 units of Lantus every 12 hours and consistently has readings in the red and black range. The doctor suspects acromegaly. He will be going in for more blood tests and a possible ultra sound on Monday to determine the underlying cause. From what I have read, blood glucose levels in cats with acromegaly are extremely hard to regulate and patients are often on very high doses of insulin. It is so hard to know what to do. The only treatment options seem to be radiation or surgery to remove the pituitary gland. Unfortunately those are both very expensive options.
    I would be grateful to learn about your experience treating this. Thank you.

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I posted on your other thread.