Newly Diagnosed Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mushman, Aug 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mushman

Mushman Member

Hello,

My Mush was diagnosed with diabetes most likely steroid induced. Mush is a 14-year-old cat, and he’s been on steroids since 2005. He gets 5 mg of prednisone (chewable treat), and two puffs twice a day of 250/220 mg Flovent.

Today, vet said it will be a roller coaster ride because he has asthma. Right away he said we have to reduce his steroid pill to 2.5mg(keep same dose of puffers), and then after ten days start him on insulin. I don’t know which insulin.
    I asked him about pricking the ear to get a reading, and he talked about testing the urine for readings.
    From the reading I’m doing it looks like it’s better to prick his ear.
    Right now I’m very disturbed as one gets with any new diagnosis.
    We only want what’s best for our fur-baby because we love them so much.

Thursday I’m going to the office to talk about the diagnosis, and to show me how to give him an injection.

Thanking you in advance for your knowledge and support.

Laura and Mushman
    Iphone ^~^

2. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Laura and Mushman to the best place you never wanted to be. It is upsetting to get the diabetes diagnosis, although with effective diabetic treatment Mush can live a happier healthier life.

Yes, it's better to test the blood sugar than sugar in the urine. Urine testing only gives results for whatever has been in the bladder, for however long it's been collecting. Pricking the ear and getting the blood sample tells you what the BG is right now. We can help with many suggestions about testing, because we all had to find out what worked for our kitties.

You can start looking at the process HERE and JanetNJ made this wonderful video testing her kitty CC How to test your cat's bg at home: Video I made showing how to test your cat's blood sugar

You can start getting Mush used to the process by choosing a testing station that is comfortable for both of you, with good lighting. Take him there, stroke and rub his ears, give a low carb treat and let him go. Do this as often as you can. You can use little pieces of poached or baked plain chicken, or a low carb freeze dried meat treat like Pure Bites or Orijen brands. Sometimes a treat before is helpful too.

You can get a ReliOn Prime meter and a box of 50 strips at Walmart for about $10 each, lancets are very inexpensive. Get 26 or 28 gauge to start with. Vet may tell you to get an AlphaTrak pet meter, they are good meters, but much more expensive and strips are about a buck apiece and you have to order online. But that's your choice. The important thing is to test and see the trends and patterns to verify how the insulin is working. People had to use human meters before the pet meters came out and they worked just fine. This all doesn't have to break the bank, the vet bills are enough! When vet tells you what insulin, come and tell us. Don't just go out and pay pharmacy prices (in U.S.) If it's Lantus or Levemir, you can order from a Canadian pharmacy and pay much less. If it's Prozinc there are outlets members order from.

Regarding the steroid use, Mush needs what he needs and there are experienced people here that will work with you on insulin dosing to help keep things balanced and Mush feeling as good as possible.

Effective diabetic treatment has three basic components, proper diet, insulin therapy and blood sugar testing. Don't get the "prescription" food that vet may suggest. It's not good for a sugar cat. Depending on what Mush's regular diet is/was a low carbohydrate wet diet is best. You can change the diet a little more quickly before starting insulin, as the change to all low carb can significantly lower BG and there is more chance of too low BG if you are using insulin and not testing to track how it's all working. We can help with suggestions for low carb food that you can get at the grocery store, pet shop or order online.

It's going to be some work Laura, I won't lie to you, but it's doable..every person here is doing it at some level or another. And we all started at square one. We will help out all we can, you aren't out there alone wondering what hit you and what's next. :cat:

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Sorry about the diagnosis. We are here for you. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Lots of help and support here. It’s a great community.

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome Laura and Mush.

The diagnosis is a tough pill to swallow, we get that. It is manageable though. I took in my parents kitty that was diabetic, after a year my vet said there wasn't anything more they could do. He was on Vetsulin 5 units and not making progress.

I googled found this site, spent 3 days reading everything. Had to get a feel of "internet" people vs vet. And 4 yrs later I'm still here with another kitty (by choice) who is even more involved medical wise. My vet changed some of his beliefs regarding feline diabetes.

Start a routine that includes making this site a daily visit. Mush will be better for it.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  7. Mushman

Mushman Member

Thank you Idjit’s mom.
    Especially re testing with the meter versus the urine and all of your knowledge. I’ll probably have a war with the vet tomorrow, but it won’t be the first time I’ve disagreed with a doctor.

Thanks for the video Janet.

Thanks Bron - or should I be saying thanks Sheila - I knew someone online years ago from down under.

Paula, I agree it’s a tough pill to swallow. Wish there was a pill for Mush to swallow.

Thank you CandyH.

Laura and Mush

8. Mushman

Mushman Member

Hello Everyone,

Since my last post, I want to update everyone and maybe ask a question or two.

The vet visit went pretty well. His script is 1 unit two times a day of Lantus.
    With the help of Peggy's (Oliver), who used to be on this board and another friend's advice and help, Mush got his first injection tonight. His glucose reading was 338.

What should his number be that I don't give insulin? I'm thinking no less than 200 for the beginning.

I only have honey. I hope that will suffice in a crisis. Looking for the Karo Syrup.
    Do you rub it on the gums?

It didn't feel like it went in - but it definitely went into the back of his neck.
    It might have been (from what I heard) a furshot. Hope not.

Thinking of testing him six hours later, to see if his number goes down.
    If it doesn't, should I assume the shot didn't go in?

Thank you.

Laura and Mush

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you touch the neck and it's dry it went in. Good job getting the test

10. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

You might want to get a test in before the +6 (6 hours after shot). Not all cats experience the lowest part of their cycle at the midpoint. Get a +2, then a +4 to see what's happening. The more information you have, the better idea you have of what's going on.

Honey is fine. "Karo" is a brand name for corn syrup. Maple syrup works too. Running your sweet covered finger along the gums is if the cat will not eat for you or the cat cannot eat.
    Food is divided in low carb (LC), medium carb (MC), and high carb (HC). Fancy Feast gravy is high carb. In slightly low numbers with no symptoms, you want the HC. Squeeze out the gravy and use that with a drop or two of honey on top. Keep a couple of cans in the back of the cupboard for such an event.

Here is the information about what to do in case of low numbers. Do post, changing the title of your thread to a 911 (go up to the top where it says "edit title") and someone will jump in to guide you through the process and keep you company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.