Newly diagnosed diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FranklinsMom, Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Hi everyone. My Franklin, who is about 7 and 1/2 years old, was diagnosed a week ago Friday with diabetes. His blood test came back with a 449 glucose level.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Franklin and his Mum!
    Such unique markings on his face, Love them!! :woot::woot::woot: Head on over to Main Health forum and post any questions you might have :)

3. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

I'm having trouble posting my entire note attempt to post it in parts and spacing out character by character the names of products in case it is considered spam.

The vet prescribed the L a n t u s S o l o star pen, which I found Sam's Club will sell one at a time. I learned that either from here on this site or another site. He is doing well with the injections so far, although there have been a couple of times when the dial did not go back to zero.

4. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

I plan to use the pharmacy in Canada that I have seen mentioned here to get insulin in the future.

The vet also recommended the A l p ha T r a k 2 meter. I know a lot of people on here use the Relion from Walmart and I hesitated about getting the A l p ha T r a k 2. I am unemployed so all of this extra expense is not good timing. The vet is aware of this but still wanted me to get the A l p ha T r a k 2. I saw somewhere about buying the human strips made by the same company as those will be cheaper. So I will start out with the A l p ha T r a k 2 and will move to the R e l i on as I get used to the process and understand everything a little bit more. It sounds like the A l p ha T r a k 2 will be good to have on hand if I have to do a curve. I haven't started using it yet. I may take Franklin to the vet today so they can teach me how to use it.

The vet put him on S c i e n c e Diet W/D. The vet tech gave me an option of dry or canned. I chose dry just because he and his sister have always eaten dry and then after reading here, went back and bought cans of W/D. Currently mixing both of them to use up the dry food they no longer want because they are getting canned food. His sister, Ellie, started going crazy when I fed him canned food and she wasn't getting any. She went on a hunger strike for the few days it took me to get organized and buy some low-carb F a n c y Feast from the grocery store. I printed out some pages of Dr. Lisa Pierson's chart to take with me as I made my selections. I'm hoping the vet will work with me as I plan to have both of the cats on F a n c y Feast.

Just can't say how much I appreciate coming across this site and the forum with so much information. It has been a big help. It seems like the vet should have given me some hand out on having a newly diagnosed diabetic cat. I asked Google and there are some out there. I think my search phrase, which returns only PDF files, was: handout newly diagnosed diabetic cat filetype: pdf ( I noticed in the preview mode it converts part of the filetype part to an emoticon so that should be filetype : p d f but without spaces.)

Thanks again everyone.

5. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Thanks Yong! I see from your signature that apparently I can go add more information to my, uh, I mean Franklin's profile. So I'll go do that.

JanetNJ likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome!! Good job on the food change! DM food is not necessary. Most of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods.

I use an alpha track, but no lie, it's expensive. Relion strips are about a third the price.

If we can help with any questions just ask!

7. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Thanks! I just clicked on the link to your video for testing your cat's blood sugar and it's one that I have already watched. :)

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome and glad to see you finally were able to post albeit with a bit of creative typing. ;) I'm sure you will be fine from now on!

Good job getting your signature set up. Come join us over on the Health forum (link above in message #2) and ask any and all questions because the only silly questions around here are those that don't get asked. We're here to help with technical and moral support!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.