Newly Diagnosed DM

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tomlin, May 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Hi. I just joined the group. My cat is 12 years old & was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis Fall 2014. He only had 2 issues with it (a year apart) but has been stable with no problems since his last issue in August 2015. He has been on Prednisolone & attempts to decrease it beyond 3.75mgs daily result in issues with his illness, so its not an option to change it. He's also eating mainly prescription Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Moderate Calorie wet food & occasionally snacks on the dry formula. He went in for his yearly exam on June 14 & his glucose was high so a frucotsamine test was done & that was also high. He was not symptomatic at all. He was started on 3 units of Vetsulin on June 17, but a Cornell U vet that specializes in pancreatitis was consulted & he suggested lowering the dose to 2 units, so he's been on the 2 units 2x/day since evening of June 19. We were asked to do some glucose measurements:

5/26 6+ it was 266 (he did eat some dry food 2h30mins before)
    5/28 6+ it was 288
    5/30 Pre Injection A.M. & Before Pred given it was 253 (ate some dry food 2h45mins before)
    5/20 6+ it was 250 (ate some dry food 3h20min before)

The suggestion is to increase the dose to 3 IU. I've read quite a bit on this forum & it looks like people aren't fans of increasing the dose by 1 unit vs .25 or .50.

Would love thoughts. Obviously it also concerned me to see the advice not to shoot when BG is 200 or below & we aren't that far from that. Note: the readings were done using AlphaTrax AND my cat was definitely stressed for the last 3 readings because of multiple pricks to get the blood :(!!

2. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hello, and welcome! You've come to the right place for help for your kitty :) My Willow was diagnosed last November, and I don't know what we would do without the experienced people on FDMB!

I'm not a Vetsulin user, so can't help with that, but there is a forum for Vetsulin kitties, you're likely to get quicker answers to any questions you have regarding Vetsulin there:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/caninsulin-vetsulin-and-n-nph.19/
    Also, putting the word "question" or using the "?" Prefix in the title draws attention more quickly.

I see you've started your spreadsheet, awesome! But I don't see the data added... Can you double check that you did put the info in the SS?

Lastly, if you could set up your signature with the info indicated, it's really helpful ... It tends to be the first place we look at for the basic info, such as insulin used, food, age of kitty, etc and saves you having to rewrite it every time!
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

Again, welcome:) Keep asking questions, and read the yellow stickies. You're in a great place! With love, Nikki

3. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reply & helpful info! I just tried to add the info to the Signature section but it says it too long?? I also couldn't figure out how to put the info in the spreadsheet--UGH!

4. nslade001

You're very welcome :) unfortunately, for me to give advice on the SS or signature would be like the blind leading the blind... I'll tag a few longer term members who I think I've seen around today, to see if someone can lend a hand! @Christie & Maverick , @Ti-Mousse , @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

5. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome, I'll try to help you with your signature and SS!

For the signature:
    you are allowed a certain length (number of characters) so try to abbreviate if possible and put only the most important info. Anyway, your signature can be changed anytime! Just look at our signatures, it will give you a hint!

6. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

I'll be back in a few minutes for your SS!

7. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

I'm back Amy! Can't wait to meet your little kitty ! :cat:

For your SS:
    Here are the instructions on how to complete it; it explains each field.
    The SS you are using now is for US.
    If you are outside of US, let us know, as you will have to use the WORLD SS !

You will notice that we are not using time because we deal with people all over the world with different time zones, so that way it makes it easier for help and support!
    AMPS is where you enter YOUR time when you give your morning insulin (let's say 6:00 a.m. your time);
    if you test your kitty at 9:00 a.m., you will enter your results in the +3 column in the AMPS section !
    PMPS is where you enter YOUR time for your night insulin normally 12 hours after the morning one (let's say 6.00 p.m. your time);
    if you test at 11 p.m., you will enter your results in the +5 column in the PMPS section!

Hope that's OK and let me know if you need anything else, it will be a pleasure for me !

nslade001 likes this.
  8. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Thank you! I think I've managed to fix signature. I can't even find the SS :(. I created the link but I have no idea how to access it to put info into it!
    I appreciate your help!

nslade001 likes this.
  9. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Instructions to get your SS back and to publish it!
    You're almost done! After, it's just gonna be a matter of filing out numbers!

Signature is perfect !!:)

10. nslade001

Hi Amy, I think you have to sign in to Google drive in order to access your SS for editing; you can't just click on the link in your signature to edit (ask me how I know that lol). Also, I can't edit on my phone, just on a computer, but I think that's an app issue on my phone. Good luck! And your signature looks great :)
    With love, nikki

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  11. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Thank you!! Let me find the SS again & then figure out how to add numbers!

nslade001 likes this.
  12. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I don't know what I do without you guys! Thanks again!

13. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Mr. T, you are so handsome !! :cat::cat: Beautiful little kitty!!

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  14. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Thank you! He's a big baby....super sweet & not one ounce of stoicism in his body! If he's not feeling well he is not going to hide it!

15. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Welcome Amy and Mr. T :), sorry I just was out for a walk with my drooler (aka the dog) and saw the tag from Nikki. Unfortunately I have only used Lantus and only have minimal knowledge of Vetsulin, based on what I read on that sub forum. It is faster acting than Lantus, and you need to get food on board 20-30 mins, before shooting. The pred may be affecting his BG levels, but since you can't change his dose, there isn't much to do about that. The dry food is something you might want to consider, since by its nature is high carb (probably at least 30%) and ideally you want to find a lower carb wet food (under 10%). Those numbers aren't terrible considering you are newly diagnosed and still feeding dry. Just a few thoughts, hope it helps. Keep asking questions, as you can see many of us are very happy to help when we can.

Edit to add: just noticed we're still in the welcome/intro forum, so when you have more questions, come on over to the main health forum http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Reason for edit: as noted
    nslade001 likes this.
  16. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Thank you! I love "the drooler"!! Fortunately the food we have isn't bad & he doesn't eat it much at all. Its a serious balance because he needs to eat what works for his pancreatitis/gastro issues.

17. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

I just tried to look at Mr T's spreadsheet but access is denied!
    To give everybody view access, you just need to click on the Share button on the top right of the screen in Google Sheets and give permission to anyone with the link to view the spreadsheet. (view only, not edit)!

18. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Hi Lyane. I just changed it. Please let me know if it works now :)! I ended up increasing his VetSulin by 0.5 last evening & we will do checks on him on Sunday as per the vet.

19. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Another great job done! We can now see Mr T's SS !

When you give your insulin at night, if you can enter the amount given in the U column like you do for the morning. That way, whoever will help you, if needed, will see the whole picture and it will make it easier!

Hope Mr. T does well on the new dose!:)

20. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I just added the insulin amounts. Thank you!

Me too :)

21. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome Amy and Mr. T!

Lots of support and knowledge here to help you and your fur baby:)

Looks like you have gotten some good advice. Also check out the yellow stickies at the top of the boards for info from food to testing tips to other health issues.

Feel free to post general questions to the main Health forum and Vetsulin specific questions you can post in that forum.

22. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Thank you Julie & Honey :)! I've read quite a few of them. We continue to work on blood glucose testing. He obviously doesn't like it. Going to try to Neosporin with pain relief "trick" I saw a member post. Maybe cut down on any pain he may feel when sticking the sweet spot on his ear!

23. Julie and Honey

Great! You have low carb treats to give him when testing? Freeze dried treats (all meat or fish) work well or even a plain cooked chicken breast cut in little pieces. Very important he associates the poking with something good so he will learn to accept it easier. My cat does not even care anymore, I even poked her when she was sleeping once and she did not wake up:)

You can alternate ears and I try not to poke the same spot twice. Also after poke hold the ear where poked with a scrap or paper towel or cotton pad for at least 10 seconds to reduce bleeding and bruising. I hold ear with one hand and scratch the top of her head with the other and she is distracted by the head scratching so she lets me hold the ear long enough.

24. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

He actually snubbed his treat the other day. He flattened his ears out, gave me "the look" & walked away. He came around within a few minutes & then ate the treat & his wet food. We will use the Neosporin pain cream & try to switch ears. We tried to do the opposite ear & it would not bleed after 4 tries. I pet, rub, scratch & he is NOT distracted!

25. Julie and Honey

Are you using 28gauge lancets? If lancet is too thin (higher the number, skinnier the needle) that can make it harder to get blood.
    Are you warming ear first? When I first started I would take a washcloth damp with warm water and hold ear with that for a few seconds to warm it, just make sure ear is not wet when you poke or that will dilute blood sample. Some people use a rice sock..

If ear is warm it will make a big difference. After awhile their ears bleed easier, I don’t need to warm hers anymore.

26. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Good Question. Just looked on the AlphaTrax 2 lancet bag but I don't see the gauge on there. Will look. We are warming the ear first with the rice in the sock.

27. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Just looked online & they are 28 gauge.

28. Julie and Honey

If they are AT lancets that came with it, those are 28g.

Please don’t buy AT lancets, way too expensive. Can find other brands at Walmart, etc for cheap, most are universal and fit in any lancing device.

I have an AT lancing device and I use these in mine..

https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/8014/trueplus-sterile-lancets-28g-100ct-pack-of-2

The Relion Walmart brand also fit in AT lancing device..

29. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Good to know ;). We put in in the device but don't put the top on anymore. Too difficult to aim & its one less click/noise to startle my boy doing it free hand.

30. Julie and Honey

That is exactly how I do it too:)

31. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I posted on Vetsulin to a thread. Have you ever tried or heard of Tiniboy lancets? I found some journal articles on PubMed & they are supposed to be much less painful. I ordered some & will see. They are a higher gauge so don't know if it will cause any issues getting adequate blood. I also am trying to research the Genteel lancet which actually vacuums up the blood drop. Very high reviews, but it looks like it might be an issue with a cats ear because you have to hold what looks like a small circular seal down for the vacuum to work & as you know, theres not much area between on the edge of the ear. I think that may be a deal breaker (except for someone who uses the paw pad). Makes me cringe when I even type paw pad, but maybe its just me!! I also wonder about risk of infection being they are in the litter box with a tiny hole. Seems like an added risk

32. Julie and Honey

I initially bought the Relion 30 gauge at Walmart because I figured the thinner would work, but ended up using the 28’s. I think once you have done it a few times and their ears bleed easier and you warm, the thinner ones will work. I am still using the 28s because I don’t have to warm ear anymore, so was not sure if I tried the thinner ones again would get enough blood, might get some next time.

Also if you look at lancet, there is a beveled edge, same as syringe needle, you always want the longer edge on the bottom and the shorter edge on top, that way it pierces skin easier.

upload_2019-6-1_13-26-26.jpeg

33. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Thats VERY helpful! Will look for that! I will let you know how we do with the other lancets as well when they get here!!

Julie and Honey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.