Newly diagnosed...feeding issues

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Eliza Jane, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eliza Jane

Eliza Jane New Member

My cat Eliza is 6 years old and has just been diagnosed in the past week. I am currently giving her 1 unit of Lantus every 12 hours after feeding. She is having 1.5 pouches of Royal Canin Diabetic cat food sold to me by my vet. I have just purchased a glucose monitor and have an appointment with the vet next week so they can show me how to use it/do it. A bit nervous about that!

However, my main issue right now is my girl is VERY hungry all day. She is used to being demand fed all day and was a bit of a greedy guts and this twice a day feeding is quite hard for her AND us! She gobbles up her food quite quickly and I'm pretty sure she wants more but I have been very strong and not given in. Does anyone have any advice for me & her? I'm wondering if I can maybe keep aside the two half pouches and give them to her in the middle of the day or will that wreck everything? Maybe I should just wait until I do the blood monitoring.....

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

ALso frequently weight Eliza to see if yo should be feeding more or less. If BG is not well controlled the cdat will need more foot to maintain weight.
    My BunBun's BG is well controlled and he is always hungry and if I am not careful with portions he gains weight.

4. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

My Callie is always hungry regardless of how much I feed her or what her BG is. My granddaughter always snuck her goodies for most of her life and got her into some really bad habits.

5. Eliza Jane

Eliza Jane New Member

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm just feeling a bit out of my depth at the moment. We have two other cats & keeping them apart from Eliza for feeding is a bit tricky. They all used to graze so Eliza's a bit annoyed I think. ;) She actually needs to gain a bit of weight to get back to her 'normal' weight as she lost about .5 kg before being diagnosed so I'm not that worried about weight gain at the moment. I will come back later & read all the stuff and maybe try to do a BG this evening. Wish me luck!

Alison in Sydney, Australia.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

My Smokey has times he's super hungry and times when he isn't. He is fed every 3-4 hrs. Sometimes he walks away and sometimes he wants more. It also depends on his glucose reading. Since he needs to gain I fed him when he wants it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.