Newly diagnosed. How to live your life with a schedule such as this?!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura-Myko, Jul 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura-Myko

Laura-Myko New Member

I adore my kitty Myko. Our first experience with cancelling plans has already happened! I'm still trying to figure out the best 12/12 hours to pick! There seems to be no right answer! When a dose of insulin is expected at 8:30, can a HALF dose be administered earlier, and the other half when we return? His numbers are still quite high; we only started treatment a week and a half ago. I want desperately for this to be a success; I'm still so scared.

2. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hi Laura, I can (so as everybody else here) relate to the cancelling plans thing.. We all have to deal or dealt with it, that’s something you will work around as soon as you feel like you have everything under control. What type of insulin are you using?
    It’s not recommended to give a half dose earlier and then later some more, because insulin works in the body for around 12 hours, so if you are giving more insulin you are giving an overdose, do you understand what I mean? I used to use Prozinc and if you use that, you can play a little with the insulin times, but max an hour earlier or later, but you still need to know if the numbers from your cat aren’t dropping, if so you can’t give extra insulin because of the same reason I’ve mentioned earlier.

3. Ruby&Baco

And btw, do you home test? That's something that's also recommended to do so you know in what kind of numbers you fur baby is..

4. Laura-Myko

Laura-Myko New Member

Thank you for your response. He is taking Lantus/Glargine. Yes, I'm testing at home; the 3-day curves, all that. Plus! I'm having to poke his ear a couple of times to find the right spot. I want to get too perfect about this too early, I suppose. I'm so anxious! Thank God he's a laid-back kitty! I did just find an illustration about the "sweet spot" on kitty's ear though; hope it helps me!

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

First of all welcome to FDMB. Now take a deep breathe because as overwhelming as this seems right now, there are lots of folks here with busy schedules who manage their diabetic cats just fine. It does take a little planning and organization but it can be done and it does get easier.

This is the welcome forum and doesn't get a lot of traffic so I suggest you post over on the Health Board HERE where there is a lot more traffic to get lots of helpful input from others with busy schedules. When you post there, it would be helpful if you would include what type of insulin you are using, when insulin was started, at what dose, any other health concerns your cat might have and any other pertinent details as to how the 12/12 insulin schedule might get impacted by your schedule. All of this will help us give you appropriate feedback and suggestions. :)

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  6. Ruby&Baco

You will get a routine in this, hey @MrWorfMen's Mom and I also did, so can you ;)
    I work 40hours a week, and had to manage Baco's diabetes all at once, also have a BF and friends and family I wanted to see.. Yes you have to give up some things, but everyone needs some time off right?!
    You will get there Laura, trust us, the beginning is overwhelming, heck I cried my eyes out for days! But with the help off all these beautiful people here on FDMB I managed everything and even got my kitty Baco of insulin!

Laura-Myko likes this.
  7. MrWorfMen's Mom

I have friends who live an hour or more away from me and sometimes I have to adjust shots around those visits but I have very rarely had to cancel or turn down even last minute invitations. We work around them as best we can. It's important to remember that you need to keep yourself in good condition to be able to look after kitty to the best of your ability and that means you have to find a happy medium between your needs and kitty's needs. Sometimes that means a shot may be a little late or you have to alter the schedule for a couple of days to get back to the shot times that works best for your normal routine, but it is possible.

Laura-Myko and Ruby&Baco like this.
  8. Laura-Myko

Laura-Myko New Member

Oh, *sigh*...thank you, folks. My devoted friend here is willing to alter some plans so she can help me! God bless her! I have many questions about lethargy, etc. It seems that since he started the insulin, he barely moves around at all! He almost seems worse! This is my imagination, right? I'm following the instructions to the letter! I'm trying to post his picture, and I can't even get that done!!

9. MrWorfMen's Mom

Laura, I really suggest you post on the Health board to get more input. Without a few more details about history (when diagnosed, when insulin was started), type and dose of insulin, any other health concerns that might be in the picture, and if you are home testing or not and if you are what meter you are using and what kind of readings you are getting, it's really difficult to give you useful feedback. Our kitties can be lethargic because their blood sugar is high. They can be lethargic because the insulin is pulling their sugar numbers down and they have become used to higher levels and they are just adjusting. There could be something else going on. We can help you but a little more information is needed to do so.

You are obviously blessed with a wonderful friend as am I. I took a trip to Nfld for a week and while I usually worry about my kitties when I am away no matter what, knowing my friend was looking after my furkids and especially my extra sweet one, gave me a peace of mind I never knew when away before. Please take a few good deep breathes. You can handle this but first you need to calm down and take it step by step.

10. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome. You dont need to do 3 day curves. There is a lot of information about lantus and how to dose it and test etc on the forum. There is also a spreadsheet to setup so we can see what the numbers are. When you are home testing do you do it before you give the injection to see what his number is and make sure he hasnt eaten for a couple hours before that? Can you tell me what food you are feeding and how often? I am also interested in how your vet told you to treat your diabetic cat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.