Newly diagnosed - I don't know if I can handle this

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TrixieBelle, Jun 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrixieBelle

TrixieBelle New Member

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes on Wednesday. Yesterday (Thursday), I brought her to the vet to learn how to treat it.

I almost passed out when they brought out the needles. I am not a needle person at all and I can't believe I have to use one on my kitty for the rest of her life. I spent almost an hour at the vet crying and when I tried to do a test injection with saline, my hands were shaking and I have no idea if I actually got the shot in her or not.

Her first dose at home with me was last night. It was a nightmare. After all the trips to the vet this week and all the poking and prodding, Trixie was understandably upset. When I reached down to give her the shot as she was eating her after dinner treats, she bolted away from me. I chased her around my place for five minutes before I got a handle on her and maybe gave her the shot. I don't know. I don't know how I'm supposed to know if it worked or not.

After the shot last night, she won't let me near her. She runs away from me when she sees me walking towards her even if it's to go sit on the couch.

This morning was a disaster and I maybe gave her insulin.

I'm going back to the vet by myself to practice. I'm not even sure that I'm using the syringe the right way and I dropped three of them this morning. I'm a bit mad at my vet because she had me practice with a vial but the prescription is for a pen.

I know this is a long rant but I don't know how I'm going to manage the 12-hour schedule. I work two jobs and my schedule isn't predictable. Sometimes I'm home every 12 hours and sometimes I'm out for 15 hours. How am I supposed to manage this? The vet suggested that I get a pet sitter to come in every day to give her the insulin. Does she have any idea how expensive and impractial that is? Is she kidding?

I have had cats with kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, cancer, and other major illnesses and have been fine with all of them but I don't know if I can handle this.

2. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

First. B r e a t h. I had the same reaction, like many others - when I first found out last Thanksgiving of 2018. Today I am well equipped to handle it when I thought I could not, but as a cat parent you buck up, make mistakes, learn and get better. Today I believe, 7 months later I have a fur baby that is in total remission or close to it. He is his old self again. For how long, I dunno. But I am dedicated to facilitate what is needed, as you are. YOU CAN DO THIS. Best wishes. We have alot of caring help here online that will hold your hand like they did me. When you know better, you do better. ~Maya Angelo

3. Robert Vittetoe

Robert Vittetoe Member

You can do this. My cat was diagnosed 6 June. After the diagnosis I was very depressed, stressed and full of anxiety. I felt there was a good chance of getting the shot in him but poke his ears and do a blood test. I would have bet you my house there was no way he would let us do that. He doesn’t like to be handled. I have to put on motorcycle gloves just to get him in a carrier for vet visits. My hands were shaking all over. Now 15 days later we have managed at least one blood test a day and many days two. What is working for us was finding a treat he really likes. We use the Purely Fancy Feast Naturals Treats 10 to a pack. I did several days of just practicing. I would show him the treat get him close and go through the motions of either a shot or blood test. I used a needle with the cover still on it. Scruffed his neck, simulated the test and gave him the treat. After doing this for several days he started just coming over and it got easier. It’s not perfect but we are getting it done. Today’s blood test was a tough one. Several attempts and no success. Finally after hitting the vein in his ear and blood everywhere we got it done. You just want to cry for doing this to your cat but it has to be done. My attitude is one test or one shot at a time. Hang in there. You can do this!

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. You have already had two responses from members that weren't at all certain they could do this. Count me as the third. It is "bad news" when you get that diagnosis. Now for the good news: you know what the problem is and you are in a place where you can find out what feline diabetes is and learn about effective treatment. Knowledge is power, and you obviously care about your cat or you wouldn't be doing research and trying to find support and answers.

Feline diabetes is a very treatable and manageable condition, and of course the ultimate goal is remission (being diet controlled with no insulin therapy). But right now, right here, getting your kitty to the best health and well being possible is the aim of every member of this community.

If you have not already read the information on the Home Page, the Getting Started and the Education sections to the right of the page, go back, read through slowly with deliberation. It is understandable to be nervous about injections, but with practice and patience this can just become one more routine in your life. You didn't always know how to cook, or read, or do the jobs you do. You learned. And we will help you learn.

Going forward, it's best to post in the Main Health forum HERE so that more members can read and respond. This Introduction forum is only the welcome mat and more members actively monitor the Main Health forum to answer questions and offer suggestions. We will be able to tell you a bit more about the proper diet, what we feed our fuzzy feet kids and how to help keep your kitty safe while being treated with insulin.

I found this quote somewhere along the way in my feline diabetes journey and want to share it with you. It helped me and I hope it helps you.

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible. Saint Francis of Assisi

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I know it seems impossible, but you can do this. If you think you are hurting your cat when giving the injections, you are not. The syringe needles are so thin they rarely feel it. And the insulin will make them feel better.

Can you tell us what insulin you are giving and the dose for each shot?

While we encourage everyone to test before every shot, let's get you comfortable with doing the injection first. Some people suggest practicing using an orange or apple. I am going to recommend something different. Take a hand towel or wash cloth and lay it flat on the table. In the middle of it, pinch a little of the material and lift it up about an inch. This is how you will lift the skin on the back of your cats neck. Lifting it will form a small "tent". Fill your test syringe with water up to the level that matches your dose. While pinching the material with one hand, insert the needle of the syringe about midway in the tent and press the plunger like you would when giving the insulin. Keep practicing until you feel comfortable with giving an injection.

It is important that you give the insulin after you cat has eaten food. If you give the insulin when your cat is about half way finished with her meal, and while her head is still in her bowl, she probably will not even notice the injection. You can always reward her with a low carb treat after her shot. Freeze dried chicken is a great one. By rewarding her, she will associate getting her insulin and later testing with something good.

Then reward yourself too. :D

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Just curious she said sometimes she has to work 15 hours , and works 2 jobs how will she mansge the 12 hr schedule?

Lisa and Witn (GA) likes this.
  7. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

That's a good question Mamakin. And as soon as we can find out more information like what insulin, what dosage, diet etc we can bring this to the attention of veteran members for suggestions and input.

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Just worried about the kitty and how she will manage it

9. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

It will be easier when she learns to home test. My schedule used to be similar when I had diabetic cats. I used Lantus then and was able to be more flexible with their schedule. But in order to do that, you have to be testing before every shot.

10. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Hugs to you!!!! We all each went through some mix of all these feelings, doubts, fears. I stumbled along the way but my cat is still okay, in fact she is great now, and it’s because there is support here, and because I also practiced and learned. You can do it, simply because you must because you are the one who can learn to help your cat best. There is a steep learning curve at first but please don’t let that scare you, as so much becomes routine after awhile and becomes an easy part of the day. You can do it!

11. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

First of all, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty's diagnosis. Don't feel bad for crying, expressing grief, feeling loss or helplessness. We have all gone through those emotions when we got the diagnosis for our cats as well. When you feel that you've got it all out of your system, take a deep breath, and just start reading though a little information on this site at a time. @Idjit's mom and @Lisa and Witn (GA) have already given you a great place to start. You'd be surprised at just how many people are/were terrified of needles and were just as devastated to find out they would have to be confronting their worst fear with their beloved pet only to become experts at what they do! I am only 2 weeks into doing the home testing (and joining this forum) and I felt like I had absolutely butchered my cats ears while I was learning. BUT believe me it DOES get easier! For both you AND your cat! There IS HOPE! And this community will help guide you along and offer as much support as possible for you and your kitty. Hang in there and keep in touch with us!

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.