Newly Diagnosed Kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karriann, May 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karriann

Karriann New Member

So I have 3 cats, my middle kitty Ginger is a Maine coon 15.5 years old. We found out about a month ago that she is diabetic. She is on 4 units of insulin 2 times per day, it was more but we were able to get it down. I am hoping over time with the wet food and just a tiny bit of low carb dry that it will continue to go down and get to a point where she won't need it.

She still pees outside the box daily and meows a lot so it's frustrating and we are trying everything to help her as well as figure out what can be done. Any tips would be great! We don't know what she is looking for or why she pees outside the box sometimes. I wish I could figure it out.

We are able to handle all of this so far.

My bigger concerns is having someone watch here late summer when we are away for 2.5 weeks! If I have to go out of town for a few days and my boyfriend is with me so he can't watch her I don't mind leaving her at the vet for a short time if there is no other choice, but this diagnosis was the first time I ever had to leave her and even after two days she was so sad. My sitter is great but can't come twice a day let alone give the shots, so we are trying to find someone who can.

My Russian Blue Cassidy will be 19 soon. My feral rescue kitten who looks calico and part Maine coon Princess, is gonna be 10 this year.

How do you tell if the diabetic cat is doing okay? I mean she seems a lot better so far most days. Quality of life? I don't want to put her down before her time, I am also feeling a little overwhelmed.

Thanks,
    Karriann

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! The best way to tell how well your diabetic kitty is doing is to home test her blood glucose. It will keep her safe, save you money (no more paying the vet to do it), and tell you how well the insulin is working. Here’s some info
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/
    Come to the Main Health forum and ask your questions. There are more folks there to give you answers.

JanetNJ likes this.
  3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Welcome!!

There are some things that you'll notice as he gets better, he'll drink less water, be a little bit less hungry, probably more active, more like his usual self, but I agree the best way of really knowing how everything is going is by home testing, it will keep him safe, save you of some very scary moments if he goes too low and save you money also

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. That's a really high dose for a newly diagnosed cat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.