Newly diagnosed: Lucas

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by erica zuniga, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erica zuniga

erica zuniga New Member

Hi everyone! My name is Erica. My cat Lucas was diagnosed with feline diabetes last Friday.
    The vet/my parents actually wanted to euthanize Lucas because they thought he would be too expensive/time consuming to take care of (my parents have a number of health issues of their own) so my sisters and I took him and are currently taking care of him. My poor baby was separated from his brothers (my parents other 2 cats) and is adjusting to his new home while also trying to get his health back on track.
    It's been a long week, but we changed his diet to low carb/high protein/moderate fats (like the website suggested) and he seems to be doing okay so far!
    We'll eventually get his insulin once we have the funds, and hoping his glucose levels go down once we change his diet so he wont require more insulin.
    We're really happy we found this forum for advice and people to relate to. Lucas is happy to meet everyone too!
    PS: the vet shaved a piece of his neck for blood-work. I'm sure he misses his fluff.
    42619383_322215181661733_930921727477678080_n.jpg 42614802_320656918514251_63109253015011328_n.jpg

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Erica and sweet Lucas. He’s so cute! I’m glad you are willing to give him the care he needs. Come to the Main Health forum and we can help you with money and time savings tips and tricks. Hope to see you there!

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I'm glad you saved the little man.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome, Erica and Lucas. He is absolutely darling. You are so right to come to the board to find out how to help Lucas live a long and happy life. Thank you and your sisters for taking him in, diabetes is a very treatable disease for cats as well as for humans. Changing the diet is a very positive first step, and can lead to lower BG (blood glucose) levels. If you haven't already, go back to the Home Page and read the "Getting Started" and "Education" sections. It will help you to understand what you are dealing with, and education is power. The members here can help with further food recommendations, home testing to track the BG and see how the diet has affected or made changes, and if he does need insulin, to make recommendations on type and costs. I sure wish I had known more when Idjit was diagnosed and we could have saved a great deal of money on supplies and insulin.

5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Wellcome and is really a great thing you and your sisters are doing.

Diabetes is totally treatable so hold on, you're on to a very good start your next step probably should be getting a glucose meter, so that you can start testing at home keep him safe, save money on vet labs and see how he really is doing, even before starting insulin, a human meter is perfectly ok and testing strips which you will need a lot of them are a lot cheaper than pet one's we can help you learn how to do it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.