Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BlackJackMAMA, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJackMAMA

BlackJackMAMA New Member

Hi All,

This is my first post to the group!

My cat BlackJack, was just diagnosed with Diabetes. I am living on a low income, and really need advice on how I can keep his meds to a minimum amount. Also is there anything else I should be doing to help him.

Here are his stats:

Male, 20IBS.

I cant afford prescription foods, so through online research I read that Fancy feast classics are a good alternative? How many should I be feeding him a day? I also read that its good to keep corn syprup in case of an accidental overdose? Is that true? If so how much do I give him?

Also he is currently on 5 units of Lantus, 2 x per day. My vet (close friend of mine) gave me a sample of Lantus, but there is not much left. She said she would be happy to call it in, to any pharmacy of choice. I have no idea who has it the cheapest? Costco? Walmart? I wish I could shop around, but I work very long hours and never have time.

Do i need to buy a glucose meter?

Has anyone used the walmart reli on syringes? Are they the cheapest?

Im sorry this post is a mess, im just very confused and tired right now!

Thanks In Advance for any replies!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

Welcome! Take a good deep breath. There are lots of people here to help.

The first thing I would do is hometest. Your kitty is on a fairly high dose of insulin and you don't want to change over to a wet low carb diet until you can monitor his numbers. (our Oliver went down 100 points overnight when we switched from dry to wet. If we hadn't been testing, we would have overdosed him). We have free hometesting kits (click on the picture at the top of this page)

I don't know your insulin but others will be along with advice. When you do switch to wet, Fancy Feast or Friskies are good inexpensive choices.

3. Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

Has anyone mentioned Diabetic Cats in Need to you? They may be able to help you, they provide help to those who need help to treat diabetic cats! Here is a link that will tell you more:
    http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=29083

Carl

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Welcome :smile:

Fancy Feast is fine :smile: Make sure to feed only the low carb ones. Here are the lists/charts people use:

Binky's canned food charts
    Pet Food Nutritional Values list
    Hobo's Guide To Nutritional Values
    Dr. Lynne's Wet Food list
    List of low carb gluten free Fancy Feast

On Binky's charts, stick with foods that have a number 10 or less in the carbs colum. On the Pet Food Nutritional Values Chart and Hobo's Guide, look at the %kcal from carbs column and choose foods that have a number 10 or less.

Here is the hyp treatment sheet: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1122

Here is a list of things to keep on hand in case your cat hypos: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2354

There is no set amount of corn syrup to give your cat. Give as much corn syurp as needed to raise the blood glucose levels. Corn syrup works pretty fast but doesn't keep blood glucose levels up for very long. For a mild hypo, most people feed small amounts of gravy based canned food. Dry food takes too long to work to raise blood glucose levels.

5 units twice a day is a huge dose. How long has your cat been on insulin? What was the starting dose?

By "sample of Lantus", what do you mean? Lantus only comes in 2 forms: a 10 ml bottle and as a 3ml SoloStar pen. If the vet provided you with anything else, then the Lantus was repackaged and the sterility and effectivness of the insulin is questionable.

Most people here buy the box of SoloStar pens. The box contains five 3 ml pens which is essentially at least a 5 month supply. There is a $25 coupon for the pens here: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=36964 You can use insulin syringes with the SoloStar pens. There is a picture here of how to do that: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151

Call around to check on prices. Some people get the best price at Costco, others at other pharmacies. The pharmacy at Costco has a free prescription drug card you can use to save some money on Lantus. Here's another prescription card you can sign up for to use at any pharmacy: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53397

Buying Lantus from an online Canadian pharmacy is the cheapest. There is info here about that: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11530

You can request a free starter kit from here: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=60261

Not testing your cat's blood glucose levels can be dangerous. Without knowing what your cat's blood glucose level is and blindly giving insuiln can result in a hypo af ew hours later.

The Relion insulin syringes are good and inexpensive :smile: You want the 3/10 cc ones with half unit markings.

Here are more tips on how to keep costs down: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/frugal.html

5. Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

20 lbs? Is he overweight, or is he just a really large kitty? If that's about what he should weigh, then he should be eating between 400-500 calories a day. That's a lot of cans of Fancy Feast Classics. But you'll see plenty of other good low carb choices on the charts that would be even more economical. If you look at the "Binky's canned" charts that Squeem3 linked you to, the calories per can info is on the right-hand side of the chart. And the FF classics are listed on the "old canned list". They aren't listed using the word "classics" - I think Purina added that word to the labels when they repacked them last year. The classics would be those on the Fancy Feast section that are less than 7% carbs.

Carl

6. BlackJackMAMA

BlackJackMAMA New Member

Thank you all so much for your input! Its wonderful to have some help with this new world of cat diabetes!

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I posted this in your other thread.

8. nwnews

nwnews Member

Everyone else has done a great job on other points. Just one other quick suggestion on Lantus - sometimes people sell unopened bottles on Craigslist. I got two boxes of pens from a lady who had switched to an insulin pump and didn't want to throw out the unopened pens she had. I did ask if they were kept refrigerated (they were) and verified the expiration date on them. I wouldn't depend of this method but sometimes you can get lucky. Jan

9. BlackJackMAMA

BlackJackMAMA New Member

Thanks everyone,

My cat is on the tubby side of 20ibs, so I think thats why the vet started him on 5 units. In regards to the sample of Lantus given to me. It was in a small tube, with a rubber stopper on the end. I am able to use the syringe by inserting it into the stopper and drawing the Lantus out that way. Im not sure how she separated it though to begin with. It appears to be working, as some of his symptoms have already disappeared ( excessive drinking, urinating etc.)

Prior to his diagnosis, I had always fed him dry food and table scraps. Now I give him just 2 cans of fancy feast a day, one before each dose. I do hope that is enough. Tommorow I will go to Walgreens to buy the glucose meter. Are there any symptoms I should look out for at the moment? I hope his numbers are not too low, especially with his diet and the Lantus.

10. Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

I really think he needs more than two cans of FF a day. Did your vet recommend that he shed some weight? If twenty pounds is overweight for him, then in the long term, a diet might make sense. But as long as his diabetes is not controlled, he would need more food than a non-diabetic cat would require. You should ask your vet how many calories he should eat every day, then we can figure out how many cans per day makes sense. I'm thing at least four...but ask your vet.
    Carl

11. BlackJackMAMA

BlackJackMAMA New Member

It took forever, but I got a glucose meter, and his reading was 49ml/mg. Is this good or bad?

12. Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

When was that in relation to eating and his shot? Um, a 49 is sort of the perfect number? "Normal" is between 40 and 120 on a human meter. :smile:

Carl

edit to add. a 49 is an awesome number, but it really depends on where he is in his 12 hour cycle, so let us know when the test was taken in relation to his last shot time? And if it's time to shoot right now, DON'T on a 49!

13. BlackJackMAMA

BlackJackMAMA New Member

he had his last shot at 6pm, but he had eaten before I took the reading. I thought under 50ml was a sign of hyperglycemia? should I still give him a shot at 6am?

14. Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

How much was his dose, and you're on Central time, correct?

Carl

15. Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

BlackJack's Mom,
    If you're still on, can you test his BG again? That number is low for this point in his cycle, and you want to make sure it isn't dropping any more.
    Do you have any gravy style food in the house, or some karo syrup?

Carl

16. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

Great job testing and getting a number. It is a little low, so I have a few more questions for you - hope you don't mind.

When was your last insulin shot? Something like this?

5 PM - 1 can FF
    6 PM 5 units Lantus

When was his bg number of 49 taken? Have you taken another reading?

My guess is that you are going to need to test and feed small amounts for a while tonight so that he doesn't go any lower. The lowest point in his 12 hour cycle for Lantus should be between 6 and 7 hours, and you definitely don't want him to go any lower than 49.

Do you have lots of test strips?

17. Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

If I'm reading the timeline correctly, she's in Texas, so I think the 49 was at +4.

CArl

18. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

BlackJackMAMA - Hope that you are ok. To answer your original question - I would say 'no' to an insulin shot at 6 AM. And certainly not 5 units. Perhaps 1 unit, after testing to see that he is above 200. He may be very high, but do not give more than 1 unit until you have more data or someone with Lantus experience comes along and offers other suggestions. I'm a little concerned about your dose and this low number.

19. Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

Hi,
    A few days ago, Sienne posted some great links for you to take a look at that are specific to your insulin. Not sure if you've had a chance to read them yet, but the one that's important right now is the one on Handling Low Numbers.

Having a 49 at 4 hours past the last shot qualifies as "handling low numbers", and here's what that link says in part. If you see this tonight, the very first thing you need to do is test his BG again. After you read this:

There are a couple (at least) of people watching for you to post again, so you won't be out here alone with this.
    Carl

20. Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

I, one of many I'm sure, would love to hear an update on BlackJack today...

Carl

21. BlackJackMAMA

BlackJackMAMA New Member

Thank you for the fast advice. Blackjack seems happy, and has an appetite. This morning I fed him one can of fancy feast, but did not give him the meds. I just stopped by about 12 for lunch and gave him another half a can of ff. When I get home I am going to get another glucose reading before I feed him his last meal of the day. Is this the best time to test? If he id under 50 again I wont dose him. What is a normal level for a cat? Sorry about grammer im using my droid. When I get home from work I will re read some of previous comments. I have not had anytime to click on the links yet ;(

22. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

Normal levels for a diabetic cat being diet controlled is 50-150- I think.

You may be lucky that all he really needed was a change of food and some jump-start juice to his pancreas. Have you been writing down your test/shot times? It could read like this:

AM test __ and shot ___u
    +1 hour after shot __
    + 2 hour after shot __
    +3 hour after shot __
    so on to...
    + 11 hour after shot __
    PM test ___ and shot ___u
    +1 hour after shot __
    +2 hour after shot __

Since so many of us are in different time zones it helps to know how long after the shot you tested rather than the time you tested. Most pick up the food 2 or 3 hours before the shot time to get a number that is not elevated by food.

here is a link to setting up the SS
    http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopi ... =6&t=18207

Hope this helps.

23. Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

Normal BG for cats is considered to be between 40-120 on a human meter (70-150 on a pet specific meter). So the 49 you saw last night was "normal". The concern is when it happened during the 12 hour cycle. Usually, the lowest point in the cycle is somewhere close to the middle, like +6 hours from the shot or so. What I was worried about was that he would continue to go down for the next couple of hours or more, and get to the point where his BG was too low.

When first starting treatment and first getting test data, we usually advise that you not give any insulin on a preshot test number below 200. In the future, once you have collected lots of test data, it will be safe to do so, and with Lantus, it is what you would do.

Knowing what Black Jacks number was just before you gave him the shot last night would have been extremely helpful, because then we all would know how far he dropped in the 4 hours after the shot to get to that 49. Of course, last night that wasn't an option, because you were able to get the test (which is great!) only after time had passed from shot time. Going forward, you will always want to test him just before you feed him and give him a shot. Knowing what his BG is just before his shot is critical.

You also will want to test him before feeding, not an hour later. Once he eats, the food will make his BG go up within an hour or less. You want his preshot test to not be influenced by food, so we normally test, feed, and shoot, in that order. With Lantus, you will also want to test him around 6 hours after his shot. That is when the insulin should be at peak efficiency, and it will tell you a lot about whether the dose is too high, too low, or just right. The "+6" number is the number that the dose is based upon.

Best thing to do....when you get home and it gets close to shot time, test him, and post his number here. Then we can give you some advise based on that number. My gut says 5u is too much insulin, but we need data to make that call.

Hope that helps,
    Carl

24. squeem3

Always test BEFORE giving insulin. That way you know what the blood glucose level is and can make a decision whether insulin can be given or not. 200 mg/dl is the recommended cut off number for newbies. If your cat tests below 200, then do not give any insulin. If the reading is borderline (like 190) and you have time, don't feed the cat, wait half an hour, and retest the blood glucose level. If the level goes up over 200 then give insuiln and feed. If it's still borderline or you don't have time to wait and retest, then just skip the insulin shot. Your cat will be fine until the next insulin time.

Normal non-diabetic blood glucose levels are roughly 50 to 150. Obviously if your cat is in the range before the insulin shot, then skip giving the insuiln. As a newbie you do not have any data to back up giving even a tiny token dose of insulin.

Please start a spreadsheet so that you can track your cat's blood glucose levels and members here can better help you :smile:

Hypoglycemia is generally a blood glucose level under 60 sometime after insulin has been given. Some cats may not show any sypmtoms until the blood glucose level drops very very low, others only show very subtle symptoms that are easily missed. Have you see the hypo treatment info? http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1122 A hypo can happen within a few hours after the insulin shot. Testing before giving the insulin can prevent many hypos but not always. My diabetic has dropped to as low as the 30s within 3 hours of giving the usual amount of insulin on a pre-shot in the 300s :shock:

25. BlackJackMAMA

BlackJackMAMA New Member

Thank you for helping me!

When I got home from work at 6:30 I checked his level it was 46ml this time. He had eaten about 6 hours before the glucose test ( around midday.) I did not give him his shot this am, and did not give him one tonight either as his numbers seemed low. I hope that is the right thing to do. Im wondering if I should give him a small portion of dry cat food, just to bring his level up some more? I will try and test him in the am, to see where his glucose level is at then. I work very long hours, and have a little one so its very hard to keep up with the testing. : ( my cat hates the ear pricks, and its so hard to get any blood..he runs away!!

26. Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

Wow, you could be on your way to a diet controlled kitty! So he hasn't had a shot for 24 hours and his BG is in the 40's? You don't need to give him any dry food (ever again, in fact). If you were trying to force his numbers up, a better way is to buy a couple of cans of "gravy style" canned food since they are usually higher in carbs. And you would just give him a TSP of gravy as needed. But right now, he should be okay and not need any.

Yes, in the morning, you need to test him if you are thinking about giving him any insulin. If his numbers are still below 200, you should probably hold off. Definitely don't shoot if you see a number like this! And if you have any questions at all about giving insulin, post here first.

Carl

27. squeem3

When are your injection times? 6:30 AM and 6:30 PM?

Since you did not give any insulin in the morning and your cat tested at 46 at the next insulin time, it is fine :D A cat that does not get any insulin cannot hypo. It seems that low carb food is helping to keep blood glucose levels in a normal range :smile:

How was your cat's diabetes diagnosed in the first place? Was your cat showing classic symptoms such as urinating a lot, eating a lot of food and always hungry but losing weight, and having sugary smelling urine that prompted you to take the cat to the vet? Did the vet do a fructosamine test or a simple blood glucose test? A fructosamine gives the average blood glucose levels over the past few weeks. A simple blood glucose test is often inaccurate at the vet's office because many cats get so stressed out that their blood glucose levels just skyrocket.

No need at all to give dry food :smile: Your cat is doing just fine with not having any insulin.

Just seeing this now. Your vet definitely repacked the insulin. IMO, it's not safe to use sterile medicine that has been repackaged outside of the manufacturing plant. You're lucky that the repacked insulin is working for your cat :smile: You might want to ask your vet why she repackages the insulin and how the sterility of the insulin is maintained. Does your bottle have an expiration date on it? Someone recently got a similar repackaged Lantus from the vet and there was no info on the label, no expiration date or even the name of the insulin, just the cat's name and instructions to give twice a day.

FYI, here is what bottle of Lantus looks like:
    [​IMG]

And the Lantus SoloStar pen:

[​IMG]

ETA: If the vet used a syringe and needle to remove the Lantus from the original bottle, know that the inside of syringes are coated with a lubricant. The lubricant can negatively affect the potency of the insulin and may cause the insulin to break down faster. This is why you should never inject excess insulin back into the bottle or pen. It's better to waste a small amount of insulin (that is, squirt excess insulin out of the syringe into the sink or paper towel) than to potentially ruin an entire bottle or pen.

28. BlackJackMAMA

BlackJackMAMA New Member

You all are so wonderful with advice, I appreciate it. I did not have any time to get a reading this am, but didnt give him any insulin either. When I get home tonight I will get his numbers before hia evening meal.
    I think the reason my vet repackaged the lantus, was because I couldnt afford to buy any at the time. She is a great friend and really helped me out with the lantus,.and syringes to get me started. S he finally called me today, and told me not to shoot any more if he is under 70ml. Initially I took him in for a blood test and his number was in the 500 range. I was told if his glucose level gets high again to give him 3units instead. Heres hoping it can be controlled with food alone one day!

The reason I took him to get tested was the huge amout of water intake and urinating.

29. Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

How is blackjack doing?
    Carl

30. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Your vet may not have repackaged the Lantus. There also are Lantus cartridges (the pack of five in the image), although they are no longer sold in the US retail market. The vet may have had one left over from before they were discontinued. (There is nothing wrong with them. I think it was simply a business decision to discontinue them.)

[​IMG]

31. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

That is too high of a starting dose. Lantus is not prescribed based on weight in cats. I strongly recommend that you greatly lower his dose or your risk hypoglycemia. This can be very dangerous and the risks for your cat are coma, brain injury and possibly death. This is also critical since you are changing his diet to a low carb diet of Fancy Feast. Most cats are only on 1 - 2 units twice a day. Please lower your dose back to 1 unit and gradually increase it until you find the optimal dose. If after at least one week after lowering the dose you need to increase, only increase it by 1/2 unit and wait at least one week before determining if you need to increase again. Also, if you are not already doing so, you should learn to hometest. That is the only effective way to determine if a dose is working. Readings at a vet's office are misleading since they are normally higher than normal due to vet stress.

32. Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

Can one of us help you with setting up a spreadsheet to record all your data in?

Carl

33. BlackJackMAMA

BlackJackMAMA New Member

Thanks for asking! Black Jack is doing great! He has had numbers under 50 for the last four days, and has had no insulin since the first time I took a glucose reading!! Im really prating that I can control this just on food alone. Has a cat ever been cured? On a side note, he seems to have a flea allergy and missing some fur and some dandruff. I gave him a 1/4 off a pill of comfortis, I know im terrible as it is for dogs. But he has a ton of flea out of no where, and after the investment for insulin etc, he has left me broke lol. He seems to have some relief, and ill be purchasing some revolution asap next month! Also yes, I would love to know how to set up a chart. So far I have been writing it down in a diary.

34. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

No, cats cannot become cured from FD- but they can become diet controlled- which is what Black Jack seems to be doing :D :D :D . Just remember that he can NEVER have dry food again or his numbers will start to soar and will need to go back on the insulin.

We consider a kitty OTJ once they have gone 14 days without insulin- just remember to record it and after OTJ you can do spot checks every few days, then weeks, then maybe once a month.

Flea stuff- over in Lev we've been having this discussion about fleas and if you have access to diatemacious (sp?) earth that is what one person is using on the cats, dogs, geese, and her for use against fleas and other parasites.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=73944

35. squeem3

The spreadsheet instructions are here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207 There are two different ways to get a template to use. If one doesn't work (usually the one from the Google Template Gallery), try the other one.

36. Shari and Max

Shari and Max Member

Each Cat is Different, but my vet wanted my cat to start on 5u twice a day. His initial BG level was 604 and he weighed 23lbs. The vet did a weight calculation, but he did not really understand Lantus.

I started his dosing at .5 and never had to go higher than 1.75, and that was for a very brief time. He ended up being OTJ in 3 months.

So please just be careful with such a large dose and keep testing.

37. Re: Newly Diagnosed, need advice about funding need for Lant

Extremely happy to hear that he hasn't needed a shot since then!!! "Cured", no, but he can live the rest of his life without needing insulin. He'll just need a good low carb canned diet from now on. They can go into remission, but they can also relapse for various reasons, so even if it's just once a month, you'll always want to keep an eye on his BG and on any physical symptoms (excess drinkin, peeing, weight loss, etc). If caught quickly, sometimes just a short stint on insulin will get him back to "normal" quickly.

You can try a product called "Capstar" on the fleas initially, until you can get the Revolution. Your vet should have some. It's just a pill (cost around $5) that you can give him that will kill all the live fleas on him. The product says it lasts for 24 hours, but the fleas will start to die and drop off within an hour or less. It will kill adult fleas but won't do anything to the eggs. But it can result in an immediate improvement by getting rid of any live fleas.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.