Newly diagnosed / needle-sticking newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by OhLily, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhLily

OhLily New Member

Hello, I am new. Our lovely Lily (10 year old tabby) was diagnosed with diabetes yesterday :-( Suddenly our lives have become a whirlwind of expensive medication, needles and measuring cups.

Lily started seeming ill about two months ago and in hindsight she had all the classic symptoms... the thirst, increased urination, weight loss, lethargy. Thank goodness my mother opted for some random "well kitty" bloodwork because she was getting sick right around that time but we didn't really notice it. We had just brought her in for a checkup. The vet noticed the high sugar reading and was puzzled because Lily hadn't seemed sick. Her symptoms just steadily came on after that. We thought it was the heat or other new cats in the neighborhood upsetting her (she's indoor but several outdoor cats have been bothering her at her screened in patio). We took her back to the vet Wednesday morning and got the diagnosis.

She is on Lantus and we are really hoping to find another source for this because the 10 ml standard vial is going to be a huge waste of money (no way we can possibly use all the 1 unit doses before it goes kaput, even if it does last longer than 28 days). We are interested in the Lantus pens. If she has to stay on Lantus and not take some other kind of insulin.

Lily is a very good natured cat but she jerks and squirms whenever she feels the needle and I don't even have time to push the plunger. I am sure I am doing it wrong. It does seem to be going in and I don't feel any wet on her afterward. It looks so easy in the videos. (Who are these super relaxed cats and why are they always in these videos? :) ) Only have done it twice now :-( Practiced in vet's office but boy is it hard to lift up any skin on her, even with her favorite person (who is not me) helping hold her. I hope I get better at this soon.

My vet didn't say anything about us monitoring her glucose right now. She is on 1 unit twice daily. We are supposed to bring her back in a couple of weeks, keeping watch on her eating, urination and behavior. Since yesterday her urination and drinking seems less, but I am doubting treatment works that fast??

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome to you and Lily. Lantus is a great insulin but can be expensive in the US. Most here by the pens from Canada. https://rxcanada4less.com/search.php
    I really suggest that you home test Lily's glucose. It's easy to do and is the best way to keep her safe and tell how well the insulin is working. As far as giving the shot, when I first started I had problems too. I had the vet shave an area so I could see Colin's skin, it was much easier! Come over to the Health Forum and ask all your questions. There are more folks there, so more replies.

3. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Hello,
    I totally empathise with you right now as I'm in the same boat. Newly diagnosed. It's completely overwhelming to me too but I have to say everyone here has been lovely and helpful and I know I'm probably asking questions that have been asked over and over.

Like yourself I've watched the videos on how to and wonder at how easy they make it seem, I think it just takes lots of practice so bear with it and please be gentle with yourself you will get there :)

4. OhLily

OhLily New Member

Thanks for the welcome...

We do plan to monitor Lily with glucose testing, but the vet didn't say anything about that to us and only talked about how we should bring her in after 2 weeks or so for another set of blood tests. I am guessing that after the next check-up, home glucose monitoring will start being a thing.

5. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

You don't have to wait for the vet to start testing. You can get a meter for humans at Walmart. The majority of the people use one of Walmart's Relion brands. The strips are less expensive then any of the pet meters. You will go through a lot of strips.

If you do a curve at home, Lily's numbers will be lower then at the vet because the stress of going to the vets. The lower her numbers,the lower her dose will be.

6. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

What gauge needles are you using?

7. OhLily

OhLily New Member

They are 31 gauge

8. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

That gauge is fine - not too big. I'm sure that you cat, like you, will get used to the routine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.