Newly diagnosed needs help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kryzewski, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kryzewski

kryzewski New Member

I just received a phone call from my Kitty's vet setting up an educational meeting on treating my 11? year old cutie....scared like crazy!

2. Janet & Binky (GA)

Janet & Binky (GA) Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

Welcome, Kathy! Can you tell us more about what led to the diagnosis?

3. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Hi Kathy....

Please note that all of us have been in your shoes... shocked at a diagnosis and sometimes overwhelmed with the shock of what the treatment includes... But we can help you through all the steps so that you can see that this is a very manageable disease and one that will bring you closer to your kitty.

Can you tell us a bit more about your cat...?

What does he/she eat? Sometimes food makes a big difference in why a cat became diabetic and how you can help him feel better.

There is a lot of information on this site... you'll be given links and direction on a lot of reading....

Should your kitty need insulin, for the most part, we chant the mantra "start low and go slow". This means a low dose of insulin and slowly raising the dose if needed as you go along.

You'll also read about home testing... this is just like what human diabetics do... and we use the same meters. This is a great way to monitor you cat and save on vet bills.

I'll stop there... Please read and ask questions.... Ask all you want.

4. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Welcome. (((hugs))) Oh that phonecall, is it so overwhelming and scary, but you are not alone.

Go ahead and read what you can take in about feline diabetes..here are the faqs to get you started...http://www.felinediabetes.com/fdmb-faq.htm

Ask lots of questions and reach out anytime you are worried or need a reassuring voice.

Diabetes is not the end, it is just a new kind of normal that you will learn how to live with.
    Hang in there.

Kimmee

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I'm in Milford, CT

Welcome.

Looks like we're neighbors, I'm in Milford, CT. If there is anything that I can do to help you, please feel free to ask. Are you in New Haven or New Haven County?

6. kryzewski

kryzewski New Member

Thanks for all of your good wishes! I live in the Westville part of New Haven, fortunately about a 3 minute ride from my great vet. I haven't replied in a while because of the intensity of getting Kitty from being lethargic to "not yet" stabilized. She's rooms with two boy cats who free fed - especially dry food. She was also accustomed to that. Her numbers fluctuated anywhere between 27 and 390 just this week alone! Her twice daily feedings that caused a drop in the numbers has now been increased to three times daily. I'm testing her, since yesterday's 27 (really spooked me since she exhibited no physical signs), twice daily. Presently, she has 3-units of insulin bid. I vowed to make this my daily visiting place. Again, thanks for being here! :smile:

7. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Kathy

3 units is a very large dose for a newly diagnosed cat...what type of insulin are you using? Kudos for you for hometesting by the way!

Jen

8. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

Welcome back..............!

I know it's a lot to absorb, but PLEASE read all the info on here. And one of our favorite members (Jennifer, who is Tucker's mom)is right in your city. Please communicate with her. Sometimes it's hard to believe people just typing things on a message board. Every single person here has been in your shoes, that's why we came here!

With that being said....there is a lot of knowledge here. From experience.

Please do every thing you can you read up on everything. I believe that 3 units BID is too much to start with.

9. tuckers mom

Hey neighbor :)

What insulin are you using?

I'd be happy to help out any time, as mentioned, I'm close, right off exit 40, easy access to the Merit also.

I have two FDs now, one that is diet controlled and one that is insulin dependent, but have had other FDs all on different types of insulin.

10. kryzewski

kryzewski New Member

I'm using Lantus and as of this morning's BG the vet and I think we have the answer to her outrageous numbers...her early morning BG today was 181 compared to yesterday afternoon's of 390!!! The reason - she needs to be tested without food in her and the 29 reading of Thursday was a result of a twice daily feeding. When she eats 3 meals, her BG is more reasonable and the dosage is down to a manageable 2 units bid. I used to be terrified of stabbing her ear but now have graduated to a no fear testing. This board is my encouragement :RAHCAT ! Thanks

11. tuckers mom

That's wonderful. Keep up the great job with hometesting :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.