Newly Diagnosed & Overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KattyKay, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KattyKay

KattyKay Member

Hello,
    My 10 year old kitty, Caesar, was just diagnosed yesterday and I am worried/upset/overwhelmed...you name it! I am so happy that I found this forum because I am continuing to think of new questions. I started Lantis last night after a 503 reading at the vet office. I overnighted a blood glucose meter (Alphatrak) and started Caesar on Purina DM food. About how many days will it take for him to get better/get back to normal? Right now he just lays in his bed only getting up for food, water, and the litter box. Thank you, much appreciate hearing your experiences.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    We are all familiar with the overwhelming feeling :bighug: but you will find lots of support and advice here for YOU and Caesar! It's great that you are starting home testing, it is our best tool to help our fur babies. We use a Spreadsheet here and all you need is a Google account: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Also, setting up a Signature with some information helps before you head over to the Main Health Forum:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

And even though his numbers are high right now, it's good to have this: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

As for how many days it will take for him to get better/ back to normal does not mean make the diabetes go away but start to get his BG under control so he feels better :). Every Cat Is Different (ECID), it's not just a saying here but our kitties prove that. I've heard of some people seeing improvements in a matter of days, other's can take a couple weeks or longer. Are you feeding him the Purina DM dry or wet? The dry food is not the best but a lot of us are so overwhelmed that we purchase it right away, I did. The prescription diets are not necessary, for wet food most of us feed Friskies pate (not indoor formulas though) and Fancy Feast pate. You will find the test strips for the AlphaTrak meter a little costly (about $1 per strip) but if you can afford it that is perfectly fine :). If not, a lot of us use a human meter from Walmart, ReliOn Confirm or Micro because test strips are more affordable. We can help you interpret both numbers, just let us know which meter you will be sticking with or if you alternate, add notes ;). I still use my AT2 for curves so the numbers are better for the Vet.

Sorry for the bombard of information and startup here! Please post any questions you think of on the Main Health Forum. :cat:

KattyKay and Kris & Teasel like this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! Yong has given you a great over view. We'll look for you on the main health forum. :)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.