Newly diagnosed.....refusing wet food. Help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Paula Brunswick, Dec 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paula Brunswick

Paula Brunswick New Member

My rescue boy, Shadow, was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago. It has been very rocky for us. He was rescued from a drug addict, and has always had food security issues. We have always had dry food available, as he would become frantic if there wasn't a good amount available at all times. We have been trying to get him to go to we food (Fancy Feast and Sheba) and he often turns up his nose and walks away. He likes the "gravy" and will lick the food dry, leaving the meaty bits. We are trying to tempt him with the Fancy Feast Natural Treats, which he will eat. This could get quite expensive, however. I would appreciate any suggestions.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Paula and Shadow, welcome to FDMB! I'm sorry to hear that things have been difficult for both of you since Shadow's diagnosis. We will do our best to offer suggestions to help you manage the diabetes and treat Shadow so he feels better. Diet is a very important component of good diabetes management in pets, as well as for humans.
    I suggest you copy and paste your post here in a new thread on the Main Health forum, so that more members can view and offer some input. Here is a link to the MAIN forum.
    I know it's holiday time, and there may not be as much activity as usual on the board, but you will get answers. Since you are only into this for the last 6 weeks, it might be helpful if you could revisit the Home page and read the "Getting Started" and the "Education" sections on the right side of the page. Great, helpful foundation information that you can use.
    It would also be helpful to know what kind of insulin you are using, what dosage and if are you home testing so that you can see how the insulin is working for Shadow, and to help prevent dangerous hypos.
    We can help in so many ways as you find your way on this new adventure. Best wishes going forward. :cat:

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Are you feeding pate? Wet food with gravy is high in carbs.

4. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Hi Paula,

My kitty was on dry for the 7 years I have had her. Never knew it was not the best diet for cats until recently. It was grain free and not cheap, so I thought I was feeding her something that was good for her.

I have tried foods before in the past with gravy (before I knew about carbs) and my kitty would do the same, lick the juice and leave the rest in the dish for mommy to throw out.

After her being diagnosed I started researching and found this board (thank goodness!) and learned about looking for wet food with lower carb content.

Recently tried the Fancy Feast Classic Chicken Pate (pink can) and she loves it. She can't eat it straight, it is too thick for her, I take 1/2 of the 3 oz can and add a teaspoon or so of water to make a thick "soup" and she will lick the bowl clean without coming up for a breath, she loves it. If cold leftovers in fridge, I heat for about 4 seconds in microwave, stir up and test with my finger to make sure no hots spots, the warming up will make the smell come out more and that may get Shadow's interest.

I found a 12 pack of the FF Classics chicken pate at Walmart for about $6.50, about the same price as Amazon and less than Petco. Not sure how much he needs to eat. My kitty is only 7 lbs now and I am trying to get a little weight on her. I am trying to feed her about 2.5 cans a day or 7.5 ounces throughout the day. I am home now and able to give her 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day. Not sure what I am going to do when I go back to work. I used to leave dry food out all day, won't be able to do that anymore. Hoping if I get her sugar down she won't be so hungry all the time and can feed her before I leave for work and when I get home.

Hope you find something he likes.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Paula( and Julie)
    Have a look at the auto feeders online. A lot of us use those for when we are not home to feed our kitties. They are fine for wet food.
    Bron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.