Newly diagnosed... Rocko

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LalaMeow, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LalaMeow

LalaMeow New Member

My 10 year old Turkish van mix, sweet boy was diagnosed this week with diabetes. I believe we caught it early enough as I noticed he was losing weight and acting differently. His other functions seem normal.

He is my ride or die baby, and been with me since I was in college. He even had some Internet fame, going viral in his earlier years.

He's been there for me through a horrible separation and moving from NY to Florida. I have 5 other rescue babies that are happy and healthy.

I spoke with the vet extensively about what is required for treatment. It couldn't have come at an absolute worst time... I leave for Chicago tomorrow and will be back on Wednesday. I don't know what to do. I got him a case of prescription food from the vet and I have someone coming to take care of my fur babies, and is willing to make sure he tries to eat the new food. But he can't give the injections. I haven't started the injections yet either.

I don't even know where to start. I am a nervous wreck. All I have been able to do is read the links provided on this site, the FAQs... Everything I can to be better educated. I just want to do the right thing.

Attached Files:

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi welcome to you and Rocko! Since you're leaving, I think it's best not to start the insulin, but to get him on a low carb, wet food. What food did you get from your vet? Believe it or not some of the prescription food is higher in carbs than over the counter pates like Friskies! When you get home post here and we'll help you learn to home test Rockos glucose an important step since the switch to low carb food may lower his glucose significantly and he may need less insulin than your vet prescribed.
    If you have any specific questions, you can start a thread on the Health Forum where more people will see it.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. LalaMeow

LalaMeow New Member

Sharon thank you so much for your response. I will be much better seated once I come back from my trip. I can't remember, I believe it is Purina brand though. I was in a rush to get it and had to get to work.

I appreciate your reply and helping me keep a stable mindset. I know it's gonna be a long road but willing to do whatever I need to do to keep him happy and healthy. And I will take all the help I can get.

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Purina DM is the best of the prescription foods, so that's great. When you get back we will be happy to help you get started on Rockos FD treatment.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

He will be ok for a few days. If he doesn't like the dm, many don't, most of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods.

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Rocko and his Mum!
    We'll be here to help you get started when you get home :bighug: I'm glad you know he won't get better overnight, we say FD treatment is a marathon, not a sprint. You're in a good mindset :cat:

Some link instructions for when you get back, Signature information - helps those of us with bad memories:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

The Spreadsheet we use to track BG numbers, we strongly recommend home testing: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

And it's good to be prepared with this: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

7. LalaMeow

LalaMeow New Member

Everyone.... Thank you so much for your responses and helpful advice as well as the links you provided. It is helping me ease my mind a bit. I will definitely be checking out those links probably during my flight, it'll give me some time to research those links and whatnot. Rocko and I thank you so so much!! I will keep you updated as soon as I get home next week when we start his treatment.

Sharon14, Yong & Maury GA and JanetNJ like this.
  8. LalaMeow

LalaMeow New Member

Okay, apologies it took me so long to respond. I was pickpocketed in Chicago and my phone with my wallet case, IDs and credit cards were stolen. But I managed to get home in time to get Rocko to the vet and start his insulin.

The vet hasn't given me his numbers and strongly advised against home testing. They are having me give him one unit every 12 hours. We started him on it on Thursday. First two days giving him his shot were a nightmare. However I am happy to report we found a way to do it where it is stress free and as pain free as possible and he doesn't even flinch. He loves coming up to cuddle me so as soon as he eats his Purina DM, I call him up to sit in my lap and my partner gives him the shot. He has shown a lot of improvement even in just a few days.

Next week he goes in to be monitored for a full day for his BG curve to adjust his insulin accordingly. My issue is I don't think he eats enough of the Purina DM. Sure he licks at it a lot but I really don't think he's eating it. Even tried friskies wet food and he licks up all the gravy with a couple of bites here and there. I guess I'm not sure how much he should be eating.

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no good reason for a vet to advise AGAINST home testing. would he inject himself with insulin as a diabetic without testing? i think not. I question his reasoning and motivation behind it.

10. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I'm also curious as to why the Vet is strongly against home testing :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.