Newly diagnosed Rufus kept no no no no

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by injuredrabbit, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. injuredrabbit

injuredrabbit Member

Hi all - sorry about the weird heading above, I don't know how that happened and I don't know how to fix it. :) I am the recently diagnosed parent of a diabetic loverboy named Rufus. he will be 13 in April and has never been overweight. It took almost two weeks between his blood work and an official diagnosis, a long story which involved a second opinion from a different veterinarian. I have an appointment on Monday afternoon to go in with him and receive all supplies and instruction on how to be a good diabetic pre mom. My concern, which I will post in another area asas we, is whether he will be okay until Monday. His numbers on Wednesday when he was diagnosed didn't seem sufficiently high for the vet to recommend him starting treatment immediately, but he seems worse since Wednesday and I'm concerned. It may be that I am just more watchful of his behavior. he is alternating between periods of extreme lethargy and periods of almost normal energy. He is eating small amounts of food multiple times during the day. Litter box is still indicating copious amounts of pee. Glucose in urine was 500 on Wednesday. He is exhibiting some hock walk but he can still easily jump up onto furniture. Will he be okay until Monday, in your opinion?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Reason for edit: Correct dictation
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! As long as there are no ketones present, he will probably be fine until Monday. You can pick up ketone test strips at any pharmacy, and test for yourself. What are you feeding? It’s a good time to get him on a low carb wet food and teach yourself how to test his blood glucose. It’s easy and we’ll help you along. Come to the Main Health forum and ask any questions you have.

injuredrabbit likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. Sorry about the diagnosis. start him eating ONLY low carb wet food such as fancy feast classic. There's a link to a food chart in my signature. Pick foods under 10 percent carb (under 7 is even better). No kibble and no party mix /temptations. How did everything go today

injuredrabbit likes this.
  4. injuredrabbit

injuredrabbit Member

5. injuredrabbit

injuredrabbit Member

LOL I spent a ridiculous amount of time at Petco the other day, feeling like I was totally anal-retentive, looking for foods that would meet the requirements on the list you referred to. He doesn't really seem to care for any of them and I think the transitioning is going to be very difficult. My vet actually said today, when I commented that he wasn't eating much, that it was more important at this point to make sure he keeps eating and to try and get the blood sugar under control with the insulin before focusing on converting him over to all wet, low carb food. I'm already getting the feeling that this is going to be a marathon, not a sprint, and that the learning curve is going to be very long!

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Try putting some of the kibble he’s used to on top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.