Newly diagnosed San Diego cat....vacation questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by oreosmom, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oreosmom

oreosmom Member

Hello Folks,

My cat Oreo has GI Lymphoma and was also diagnosed with diabetes. We will be starting his insulin tomorrow. Since I am new to this, what do you if you need to leave town? I need to find somebody to help with his medication while we are gone. Also, should we leave at all...does insulin or diabetes need 24 hour management???? SOS!!!!

Thanks, Carol in San Diego

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Most people here hire a vet tech from the vet's office to take care of a diabetic cat. Ask at your vet office. Many vet techs do pet sitting on the side.

Some people hire a pet sitter who has experience with diabetic cats.

Boarding is an option. Some vets will board cats. Some regular boarding places will take in pets who need daily medicine and other special care. Ask lots of questions before choosing a boarding place (Do they have a trained employee who can give insulin injections? Do they or are willing to learn how test a diabetic cat's blood glucose level before giving insulin? What are their procedures for handling medical emergencies? Is the place staffed 24/7? etc)

You're actually pretty lucky - there are FDMB members who do live in San Diego and the surrounding area. Someone may be able to help you out if you need to go on vacation. I'm sure the CA members will be posting shortly.

A diabetic cat doesn't need 24 hour monitoring :smile: It's overwhelming and scary for the first couple of days after the diagnosis. Just breathe and read all the articles on how to manage your diabetic cat at http://www.felinediabetes.com/ Diabetic cats need insulin twice a day, blood glucose testing at least twice a day (before the insulin shot), and lots of love :D

3. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Carol.

I live in SD and just recently found a pet sitter who can give medications. I'm without a car for three days already, and just learned my car is in need of big repairs. I have not used this petsitter but spoke with her briefly. She has a pet sitting business called Precious Pets. I stumbled on her also on Yelp.com and you can read her reviews. Here's her info. She's in Clairemont which is central SD. Which part of SD do you love? Her tel# is
    (858)354-6693

http://www.yelp.com/biz/precious-pets-pet-care-san-diego-2#query:molly's pet sitting

I hope this helps. Squeem also mentioned someone from your Vet's office, too.

Ann

4. linda and guinness

linda and guinness Member

Hi Carol,

I have a diabetic/acro cat named Guinness. We have managed to go out of town a few times now for short trips and have used a very reliable, reasonably priced pet sitter who can shoot insulin. Usually, I try to go out of town when Guinness' numbers seem stable, but that isn't always the case. My pet sitter does not test and does not usually come for the am shot (mine is at 4:30am and I am unwilling to move the shot), so I usually have her skip the am shot and just shoot his pm shot. I have automatic feeders for wet food that feed him 3 times a day (when she's not here). I've done this a couple of times now and he's always done pretty well, even with the skipped shot. I know people might tell you you can't trust a sitter or you shouldn't leave, but for me, it's a matter of balancing my life and my cat's diabetes. Sometimes I just need a break from the whole thing and that's when I try and take little weekend trips with my family.

Here is my pet sitter's information -

San Diego Pet Pals
    Sonya (she's in business with her husband, but I prefer to work with her)
    http://www.petpals-petsitting.com/

If you contact her, please feel free to use our name and mention the diabetes, etc.

Linda Morreale and Guinness and Harp (Civvie)

5. Lisa & Mary

Lisa & Mary Member

I'm in Sacramento but agree the vet tech petsitter is thd best way to go. He'll be more relaxed at home and 2 visits a day costs about the same as boarding at the vets. My petsitter visits morning and evening and does the glucose test and shots. She even texts me his glucose results so I can keep his spreadsheet and condo posts up to date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.