Newly Diagnosed Sugarcat - Tigger

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by QTL, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QTL

QTL New Member

Hi Everyone

This site has been a godsend. Thank you everyone for this labour of cat-love.

Tigger's Specs:
    Rusty Tabby with white paws and chest patch - Male
    Diagnosed: Sept 4, 2010
    Weight: 13 lbs
    Insulin: Lantus, 1 unit, twice a day
    Glucometer: Accu Chek Aviva

Our darling Tigger was diagnosed Sat. Sept. 4, 2010. Since he was previously slightly overweight, he was on Medi Cal Reducing formula dry (Canadian company) for 1 year. After diagnosis and information from this site, we switched him immediately to canned food - first the recommended Fancy Feast varieties because we used this as a treat and knew he would eat it. He's now on canned Purina DM. Thank goodness he's so hungry that he actually gobbles it all up. I have a second non-diabetic cat Sushi whom I'm having trouble getting to eat the low carb varieties. She will eat only specific fishy Fancy Feast varieties. This of course makes it difficult for me to keepTigger on a controlled diet.

After the shock and worry, we started him on his therapy. We begain injecting the night of Thurs. Sept 9. The vet has instructed us to perform a glucose curve 7-10 days from the start of insulin injections (this weekend! I hope I can do it!). But asked us to take readings 6-8 hours after injection. I've finally successfully tested his blood twice, once with hubby holding him and once solo (after multiple tries). The first, on Sunday, was 5.5 mmol (100) 7 hours after the injection. Today's reading was 3.0 mmol (55) 8 hours after injection. Should I be worried about this one reading? Tigger seems to be acting normal and I gave him some food right after I got this reading (as per the Mild Hypo recoemmendation).

Our Specs:
    Queenie & Andrew, Sushi & Tigger
    Toronto, Canada

2. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur Member

55 is low, but it sounds like you are on top of things. Just keep an eye on him and keep feeding him. Continue to test over the next several hours until his BG comes up and stays there. As an added caution (just in case there is a further drop in his BG), you should have honey or Karo syrup and some high carb food at the ready.

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Queenie,

Can you get some more tests in? How long is it since you last tested?
    Gettin a 55 after 8 hours would suggest he needs less than 1u and he quite possibly went lower.
    Lantus nadir (lowest bg number in the cycle) is usually around +6. In some cats it can be later but you only find this out over time.

Best bet is if you can get a +2,+4 and if this is dropped to under 80 say test again at +5 and definitely at +6.

Swapping to low carb food could have made such a difference to Tiggers numbers which is great.

You really don't need the Purina DM, it isn't a particularly nutritious food (expensive too), fancy feats, wellness and Evo are all good varities and cheaper I beleieve (I'm in Europe)

Fish varieties all the time are not good, mainly because of the mercury build up is why it isn't recommeneded.

Don't be worried, you did exactly the right thing, just that he could of dropped low or be close to dropping low.
    Your doing great :mrgreen:

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You are doing everything right! Fantastic. Sounds like you have the hypo sheet. As others have said, that is not dangerously low, but since he is new to insulin, you want to err on the side of caution. Every cat is different, and cats react to insulin in different ways. You want to be sure he is continually headed up over the next few hours. If he dips, try feeding him some higher carb food (wet is better if you have it) After you get past this cycle, I would sure head over to the Lantus support group, tell them what has been going on and get dosage advice. viewforum.php?f=9

Tigger is responding very well!

As far as food, you can pick up any wet lo carb - one flavor of each- and see what your other kitty will eat. Fish is not good for every meal.

5. QTL

QTL New Member

Hi everyone

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement.

I've been struggling to get another BG reading as I am solo and very new to the pricking of the ears, and don't have anyone to hold Tigger down.
    I just managed to take another reading and it is only 3.1 (< 60) at 6:11 pm. I am assuming it is valid as I did not get an error on the Glucometer). I just fed him some more food. I don't think I should give him his next injection (scheduled to be at 6:48 pm). I wonder if it is the "shed" that's causing this.

Going to call my vet.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Wouldn't shoot at that number. If you can't reach your vet, ask the people on the Lantus page for direction,

If you have trouble testing, you could try the burrito. Wrap him up in a towel with only his head showing. We put Oliver down on the couch next to the arm so we could gently push him into the arm and he couldn't get away.

7. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

This believe it or not is very promising :mrgreen:

Tigger is effectively surfing :mrgreen:
    You are right to hold off on next shot (60).
    You must hold off feeding too as this will artificially inflate bg number.

From what info you have given you've only had the few tests mentioned in these 2 posts?

If so his nmber needs to go over 200 really as you just haven't got the data to see where he will go. That could be another hour or more.

As I don't know yourtime zone you need to decide how long you can wait (and if Tigger starts crying with hunger). Then it will be a decision of shooting a smaller dose (but still at a higher number than this 60) or skipping the dose entirely.

You are right this is the shed and it will empty by delaying, reducing, skipping shot-keeping him safe is your priority.
    I sense your still a bit sticky on the testing so need to take account of that. Don't be afraid you are in control and he's way past his ;ast shot so he can't hypo right now even if his number fell again. Only once you have given the insulin does the hypo risk kick in here.

I'm afraid I'm in Europe so way past bedski for me.
    A Sue has suggested I'd copy this thread and open a new one in the Lantus isg-lots of eyes there who will guide you through.
    Honestly your doing fine, Tigger is a lucky kitty :mrgreen:

Good luck

PS-As Sue has suggested, burrito-Lucky was very fractious and it was the only way I could ever test her. Hold it quite tighet, talk soothing words (helps calm you too) all the time, eve if it's 'did I tell you today how much I love you :mrgreen: '

Paws crosed

8. QTL

QTL New Member

I managed to get hold of the vet's office and they were surprised how low the BG was.

Will be bringing Tigger to the vet's tomorrow morning and they'll double check what I'm doing, give me remedial training and give him a checkover.
    No shot tomorrow morning either.

Gotta keep an eye on him tonight.

Will let you know how it goes.

Time zone is North America EDT.

9. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi from soggy Calgary!

Thakgoodness you are testing! Tell us your testing method or routine and perhaps we can help you tweak it. Also there are tons of members in the GTA so perhaps a separate post with toronto in the heading might snag you some local help...

Jen

10. QTL

QTL New Member

An update on Tigger

Did not shoot him last night. Took another reading at 9:55 pm and it was 3.6 mmol (65).
    Fed him around 6:40 AM and took him to the vet for a 9:20 AM appt. No shot given.
    Vet tech took a reading at about 9:15 am - BG was 5.9 (105).
    Unfortunately I had to leave him at the vet for them to do the BG Curve as I need to go into work today (I feel so guilty). It has been less than a week on 1 unit Lantus.
    The results seem promising, The Dr. is being cautious and thinks we still should shoot 1/2 unit, but will depend on the BG curve. Will know better at end of day.

The lesson - get used to BG testing pre shot and spot testing at home. It saved my Tigger and me from a terrible event.

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Just be aware that sometimes kitties get stressed at the vet (strange noises, strange people, odd smells and lots of people who are "not the mommy".) and stress can raise bg levels. So even if he is high enough to warrant insulin with the vet's curve, if I were you, I would take several readings at home before giving insulin. Cats can be 100 points lower at home than at the vet. It is not always safe to base dosage on curves from the vet's office, but especially when you are talking such low numbers anyway.

12. QTL

QTL New Member

I think it's too good to be true.

Late Wednesday night I took another BG reading at 9:58 pm and reading was still only 3.6 Was fed at 6:30 pm.
    No shot was given in the morning, but was fed. At the vet's at 9:20 am, the reading was only 5.9. Kitty stayed the day to get BG Curve.
    Results: Flat in the mid 5's. No juice yesterday either.
    Vet advised to take another reading prior to shot time and if over 15, then Tigger should get 1/2 unit - took BG his morning at 7:20 am, reading was still only 6.9. No juice today.
    I really hope it stays this way. Vet sems very cautious and says she has seen this type of remission early in treatment and the cat reverts to diabetic shortly thereafter.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    The mummy wrap definitely works better to keep Tigger still

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.