?Newly diagnosed tested 60 at PMPS help

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Caseylg89, Jan 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Is your Purina DM the regular flavor or the savory selects? There's a difference in their carb %. The latter is higher.

2. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

I can feed her now but only have 10 mins to spare. I get done with work in an hr and a half

3. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

I did have purina dm wet but now using friskies pate classics

4. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Not sure what you mean by this question. This number (115) is her +6 number, meaning 6 hours after the shot.

5. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

From reading this thread, I'd probably say skip since we're still learning your kitty's reactions.

BUTTTT i am far from an expert. So hopefully the others check in.

Eta: walked away and forgot to hit post... glad to see others are here :)

6. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

What flavors of Friskies do you have? Mixed Grill is the highest carb. That would be good.

7. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

@CassAndGordy she isn't asking about shooting. She's asking what to do now, at +6.

8. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

I see that now. Wow... I have had a long day LOL.

(Ill stay out of it for now, but youre doing awesome Casey!)

9. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Casey, I would feed her now and check her when you get home. An hour and a half isn't long. Just be sure she's eating before you leave. Friskies Pates are on the higher end of the Low Carb category, so any of them would be good right now to keep her from dropping too low while you're gone.

10. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Right now have chicken and tuna

11. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

That's fine.

I just realized you were asking why I wanted you to test now, is that right? It's to see how low she went. The dose is based on how low your cat goes. If she goes really low, it may be too much insulin. 110 is not too low, and +6 is about when most cats hit their lowest number. BUT some cats go lower a little later, so to keep her safe I want you to feed her. That should do the trick till you get home and can make sure she is still in good numbers. Does that make sense?

12. Lincolns Mom

Lincolns Mom Well-Known Member

cheering you on Casey... so happy Tricia and Marje are here to help... they are a wealth of knowledge :) i know its a lot to learn fast but you will get it all

13. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Yes that makes sense. So im heading home now to check her. Then have to go stay at my parents bc my daughter is there. What time should i wake up to go back to my place to check on Chloe?

14. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Assuming the number you get when you check her is safe, you need to go back to give her the shot. So you won't be staying there with her after that?

15. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

No my daughter is 2 and i don't want to pack her up at 1am to bring her home but i will set my alarm to come back in the morning. Thats why my original shooting time worked best

16. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

It is 106

17. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Ok. Can you hang out there for 10 or 15 minutes while I talk to some other veterans to see what it is best to recommend?

18. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Now what do i do before i leave? And do i need to download something to do my spreadsheet, it wont let me edit it.? @Marje and Gracie

19. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Yea i can thank you sorry im so difficult

20. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Are you working on a laptop, table, phone, PC?

I sent an SOS for input to the other veterans. Let's give them a couple of minute to get back to us.

21. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

It's okay. We all have complications in our lives. FD is not a very convenient disease. We'll figure it out.

22. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Uggh thank you all for your patience and understanding. And i am working on my phone

23. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

That might be the problem. See if you can download Google Sheets to it.

24. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Casey, while we wait, keep an eye on Chloe and if she heads for the litter box, see if you can check her for ketones. You can just stick the strip under the stream if urine.

25. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Sorry....I was off for a while.

If you are working from your phone, you must have google sheets app downloaded as Tricia said. I’ll add the numbers; looks like it was about two hours between the 115 and 106?

26. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

@Marje and Gracie, what do you think? Should she come back at +11.5 (2:30 am) to test and possibly shoot? She won't be there to monitor overnight.

27. Marje and Gracie

Is there any chance you can stay at your house for a while and let your daughter sleep at your parents’? I’m just worried she is going to continue down and give you a number at PMPS that you can’t shoot again. Is it possible to take Chloe with you to your parents so you can test her there?

This is a quandary because I don’t feel comfortable with you shooting and leaving her all night unless she zooms up suddenly. I’m also worried about not giving another shot to a cat that has had DKA and you haven’t checked for ketones.

You can feed her even MC right now to get the numbers to go up but you would have to stay there long enough to test her again; I would just worry about you leaving until shot time; she hasn’t come down a lot but sometimes, they can pick up a bit of steam at the end of the cycle, especially if they get a second dip.

28. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Yes 2 hrs in between the 115 and 106. I just cleaned the liter box hoping it would make her pee but nope. Like i can come here early morning which would be +17

29. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

If you shot then, would you be able to shoot again 12 hours after that?

30. Marje and Gracie

You mean don’t shoot again? Or shoot at +18? That would be a possibility that might work.

I have to leave this decision with you because I don’t want to be responsible for giving you advice that could endanger your kitty. I see your options as:
    --stay with Chloe, feed her and test her about 30 mins later and see where’s she headed; if she’s headed up pretty good, you could go to your parents’ house and be back by +11.5
    --take Chloe with you so you can shoot on time and feed/test as needed
    --stay with Chloe all night so you can shoot on time and feed/test as needed
    --feed her a MC food and test her in 30-45 minutes; if she were my cat, unless she was headed up really fast, I personally wouldn’t leave her until +17
    --if you do the above and she’s headed up into the 200s pretty fast, you could come back and shoot at +18 but your schedule is going to pretty far off from 10:30/11 approximate shot times.

31. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

If i shoot at +17 yes i can shoot 12hrs after that. Ok i can stay here until +11.5. But im not to sure what to do

32. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Ahhh i dont know what to do. Im a single mother and havent left my daughter overnight yet. And i cant bring Chloe with me because my parents have a 15yr dog which would cause stress in him.

33. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

The problem with planning to shoot at 11.5 is that, if her numbers haven't come up a lot, it wouldn't be safe to shoot and then leave her for 5-6 hours.

The safest options, for Chloe, would be to either take her with you or stay there with her all night.

34. Marje and Gracie

At +11.5, you would have to decide whether you are going to shoot or not, or wait until +17/+18. Waiting is fine as long as she is on the way up at +11.5.

I’m sorry for this difficult decision. I’m sure it’s very hard. If you leave her at +11.5 to come back and shoot at +17/+18, you have to know she is on her way back up ....and not just a little. You could leave out HC food but do you know for certain she’ll eat it?

Have you fed her and did you feed her a MC food?

35. Marje and Gracie

Also....I don’t know who will be around at +11.5. I am no longer a night owl and will be headed off to bed here very shortly. We can leave you some guidelines but I don’t even think the east coast folks will be on at your +11.5.

36. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

I will be here.

Will your daughter be asleep when you get there, whether you go there now or at 11.5? What time does she wake up in the morning? How far away is your parents' house? Perhaps we can figure this out so you can be there when she wakes up and still be able to watch Chloe.

37. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

What is an MC food? She likes the purina DM dry.

38. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

MC means Medium Carb. That is anything that is 11-20% carbs (Correct me if I'm off on the upper end, Marje). I'm not sure where DM dry falls in that. It's not on Dr. Lisa's list.

39. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

11.5 is in 30 mins. My parents live 5 mins from me.

40. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

I also have purina indoor dry

41. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Well, how about you stay and test at 11.5 and post here and we'll see what makes the most sense. What is your work schedule tomorrow?

42. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Is Chloe not supposed to be eating right now?

43. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Is Chloe not supposed to be eating right now?

44. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

45. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Tomorrow i work 12- 1230am i get a break at 4 and a break at 1030

46. Marje and Gracie

No...don't feed her. I'm sorry. I thought you were just at +9.

MC is about 11-16%.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  47. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Crap she just ate a little bit. Omg lol i stink at this

48. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Purina DM dry is listed on p 31 of Dr Lisa's chart.

49. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Ok so the purina DM is good to leave out for her.

50. Marje and Gracie

It's ok...it's not your fault, it's my fault.

I was reading your post at three hours ago where you said it had been six hours since you shot 0.5u. If that was the case, then you would just be at +9 and it would be ok to feed her at +9.

I'm trying to figure out, based on that post #100, how it is now +11 for you.

51. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

I was going by this post

52. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

I don't see it there. She has DM which is 3% and Savory Selects, which is 10%. But I found it on Binky's and you're right it's 13%.

Yes, that would make it MC, Casey. Not ideal, as dry isn't good for cats in general, but for these purposes, it would have worked.

53. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Marje, at 1:13 your time she posted that she had fed and shot. (post #72) That would have been 2:13 her time. Casey, check your meter's memory. What time did you test and get the number that you shot?

54. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

At 130pm got 227, took food away, at 3pm tested got 209, gave her food and then .5 insulin. Tested an hr later at 4pm got 242. Then on break from work tested her at 11pm got 115, finally got home from work checked her at 1am got 106

55. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Okay, that's odd because the time stamp when you posted that you got the 209 and shot was 12:13 my time, which I believe is 2:13 your time. Are you taking that off your notes or off the meter? It is 1:20 there now, right?

56. Marje and Gracie

K. Thx!! I was just going based on her post 100.

So 1 am your time was +10. In that case, it's just about +10.5.

It would really help if we could talk in hours since last shot since the three of us are all on different time zones :)

I probably have the numbers on the SS messed up then. I'll fix.

57. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

No it is 220 am. And she got .5 at 3 and it is now 225 which is 11.5 after the .5

58. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

My mistake. I guess I don't know where you live! You must be on the East Coast. Now it all makes sense. @Marje and Gracie. She's at +11.5 after all. I'm sorry I confused us all. I don't know why I thought she was on CST.

59. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Haha its ok and yes im in newyork

60. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

When you get a chance, can you please add that to your signature? We have members from all over the world and it gets confusing, as you see. That's why we talk about +11, etc. instead of 2:00. I was helping about four people at once today and thought somehow you were in Texas, like some of the others. I'm sorry.

Did you get that +11.5 test yet? Sorry. I missed that.

61. Marje and Gracie

Ok...now I got it. I was also assuming you were on central time. I know you sent it in a PM but I'm just looking to see if you are in US so I know what SS to do. I do so many, I don't remember what time zone everyone is from.

What it boils down to, Casey, is there isn't any data for us to know what dose is the right dose for Chloe. You skipped a shot and then shot a reduced dose and she still came down to 106.

She also had DKA which makes skipping another shot not ideal especially if you have no ketone tests. Yes, if she's eating, that's a good sign because cats who are eating are not in DKA. But things can change quickly.

She could come back down while you are gone.

This has to be your decision. I'm sorry because I know you are exhausted, worried, away from your daughter, etc. But I just won't put Chloe's safety at risk.

62. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Right now well 1hr and 45 mins ago she was at 106

63. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

+8 after her.5 she was at 115

64. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

The huge jump in numbers could be due to the food she ate. Which means when that food wears off, she could drop again.

If you shoot now and leave until morning, you run the risk that Chloe would drop too low, possibly hypo. That can be fatal if no one is there to help her.

If you wait until +17 or +18 to shoot, you run the risk she will go high and back to DKA. Granted, she is eating now and seems fine, so that is not super likely, but it is a possibility.

Only you know what makes the most sense for you. No one will judge you, whatever you choose, and we'll be here to help you, whatever happens.

65. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Ok i have 10 mins and itll be +12 i just tested her and it is 117. She hasnt eaten in almost 2hrs

66. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Which means that number is probably not food influenced, but we can't be sure since it was dry you gave her, right? That lasts a little longer in the system. If she did not have DKA in her past, this would be a no brainer - we'd tell you to skip. However, she does have that issue, so it makes it harder. You will have to make the call.

Gill & George likes this.
  67. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

No she was eating friskies pate classics last

68. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Well that's good news. But the options are still the same, I'm afraid. I wish I could make this easier for you, but it isn't my cat or my child involved here.

69. Marje and Gracie

That is the same number. I'm concerned that even if you do not shoot but you leave for six hours, she will come down more. You can carb her up with HC food and leave more down and hope she will eat it.

It just makes me a little uneasy.

70. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Could i leave her some purina DM dry out and give her. 5 then come back and see what she tests at at +5? Uggh idk what to do its +12 so now im more confused lol

71. Marje and Gracie

I am not able to advise you to do that in good conscious. We don't know what dose of insulin she really needs. We don't know how carb sensitive she is.

I'm sorry I am not able to be more helpful. If you could be there to test, it would be different but as Tricia said, we understand you need to be with your daughter and there are no judgments. I just can't advise you on something I don't think is safe.

I know Tricia will be up a bit and Gill is also watching so I'm going to sign off. I hope the night goes well.

72. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Well, you could, but you run the risk that she will keep dropping, and the added insulin would increase that risk.

If you decide to skip, you could leave the MC out (make sure she eats some before you leave), and come back and shoot in 5 hours (assuming her number is okay - post and ask). The risk of her going back to DKA is probably lower than the risk of her hypoing if you do shoot.

Sorry I'm not more help. I know you are really between a rock and a hard place. If I lived nearby I'd volunteer to come over and watch her, but I'm in CA!

@Gill & George lives in Spain, so she will likely be about when you shoot, if you choose to skip and shoot in 5 hours. There will be other members around, too.

73. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Ok i guess i wont shoot her bc you saos lower is worse than higher. I will leave down the friskies pate classics and then come back in a bit and test her. How is that?

74. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

Ok i will leave her some MC and come back after 5 hrs of sleep and test then jump on and seek help.

75. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

It's a tough decision, especially without the data.

If you decide to shoot and leave bear in mind that the onset will be at around +2, so she could take a big dip, as Marge says without knowing how sensitive she is to insulin, or if even this is the right dose, she could really dive even with the 13%, my kitty needed 28% carbs to stop him if he dove in the early part of the cycle.
    The risk of Casey going hypo in this case possibly outways that of Casey going into dka (as she is eating), but no gaurantees, if you can check back in 5 hrs perhaps shooting then if Casey is high enough !Ay be a preferable option.

76. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Okay. Great. When you come back, start a new thread, because this one is WAY too long, and we ask that everybody do a new condo each day. You can link this one in your first post so anyone can come back here to see what was discussed. If you need help doing that, ask and some one will walk you through it. In the subject line of the new one, put the date, Chloe's name, the reading you have just taken, and if you need help, something like "Shoot or not?" Okay?

77. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

It will be just about lunchtime for me, IL be watching.

Tag me in your new thread so I get a notification and don't miss it.
    (You can tag me by writing @Gill & George )

C u later

78. Caseylg89

Caseylg89 Member

I will do that. I skipped the shot, left her MC which she was eating as i left. I will come back in a few hours and test then create a new thread!

79. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Good. Sleep tight.

I'll check in when I get up, but it will be a little later than when you are shooting. Not a morning person.
    :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.