Newly Diagnosed Toby

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LizW., Dec 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LizW.

LizW. New Member

Hi,
    My name is Liz, My cat Toby was just diagnosed as diabetic. He is 7 years old best guess, I have had him 5 years. I noticed Monday morning he was not standing up or walking on his back legs. He didnt seem in pain and acted fine outside of that. My vet wasnt in the office so I dropped him off at a previous vet I have been to. I have his labs but it all looked good other than his glucose was 376. Vet tried to get a urine sample but wasnt able to. She suggested starting him on prozinc but would have to order it. I was able to get him into my regular vet today she didnt want to start any insulin until we tested urine and/or fructosamine. We were able to get urine from him and his urine glucose was 1000 with ketones at 15. she mentioned doing a urine culture as well as a protein/creatinine ratio since we had the urine. Not sure I will do that. She uses vetsulin and that is what i will start him on for now anyways. One unit every 12 hours. Im going to work ona glucose curve at home at some point but right now we need to get his glucose under control and get him walking again. He isnt much interested in eating right now does anyone give mirt or cypro to help with appetite? Anything else I should do right at this moment? Oh and he eats canned friskies, no fish. prior to now he ate a very small amount of earthborn holistic but he likes canned.
    Thanks
    Liz

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

3. LizW.

LizW. New Member

Thanks Just posted it
    Liz

4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

@LizW.

Welcome! I’ve got a few comments for you and will find you in main health.

5. LizW.

LizW. New Member

Thanks. I sent an update after his visit to Exclusively cats.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.