Newly Diagnosed Tortoiseshell - A Tough Customer

Discussion in 'Welcome to the Group - Post an Introduction Here' started by CaliAlli, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaliAlli

CaliAlli New Member

My 13 year old Tortoiseshell, Darla, was recently diagnosed with Diabetes. She has gained weight (great!) and is definitely drinking and urinating less (great!). I have had her into the vet for 2 BG curve tests and, well, let's just say, she's not cooperating and the vet does not feel she can get an accurate reading. Darla is miserable about it, wants no part of the testing, hisses at the vet, and has to be isolated from other animals. The vet has recommended that Darla come back in in 3 weeks for a Fructosamine test and, in the meantime, wants me to do BG testing at home where Darla's stress level will be lower. I am scared to death. We have had a difficult enough time giving her insulin. She is generally quite happy and content at home, and I don't want to her to be miserable at home like she is at the vet.

The vet started her at 2 units, then increased it to 3 units after her first BG curve test, then decreased it to 2 and a half units after her second BG curve test. During this time, we've been SLOWLY transitioning her to a wet food lower carb diet. The vet also wants me to try to make this transition to an even lower carb wet food (almost no carb) than I have been feeding her. I am afraid to do this too aggressively given that we still don't seem to have good numbers from her BG curve tests and are still changing around her insulin units. This is compounded by my fear of home testing, even though I know it is important.

Recommendations on glucometers and any tips that may make testing more tolerable for her would be appreciated. I would prefer whatever is the quickest and least painful for her (ie. there's a big difference between 5 seconds and 7 seconds). Affordable would be nice, but quick and painless is the priority. Has anyone had positive experiences with urine testing instead? I know it's not ideal, but right now I feel like it might be my best option.

If you have ever had a Tortoiseshell, you probably can empathize. I would really appreciate any advice!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi welcome to you and Darla! Since you are transitioning to a lower carb food, it's important you learn to home test because the switch can lower Darlas BG and she would need less insulin. Any human meter will do, just look for one that takes the least amount of blood. If you're in the US, a popular meter is the Relion Confirm from Walmart. Start by desensitizing Darla to the process by choosing a spot that will be your testing spot. Take her there multiple times a day, rub her ear and give her a treat, then let her go. Soon she'll look forward to that and you can start testing. Come to the Main Health Forum and let us know what kind and how much insulin you're giving, what you're feeding and if Darla has any other health problems. We will be able to give you more help when we know more about her.

3. CaliAlli

CaliAlli New Member

Thank you, Sharon14! I reposted in the Main Health Forum with the additional info.

4. Yong

Yong Well-Known Member

Welcome Darla and her Mum!
    Will be heading over to read your post on Main Health :cat:

CaliAlli likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

CaliAlli likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.