Newly diagnosed - two weeks for insulin to show changes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bunny0210, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunny0210

Bunny0210 New Member

My vet indicated that it takes about two weeks for insulin and diet changes to show any changes in my newly diagnosed diabetic cat. Can this be confirmed? I, of course, think that is too long...what should I be doing in the meantime, I don't have any direction from the vet except to give her the insulin 1/2 unit two times a day and the diabetic wet food. I am giving her the food twice a day with the shot and then just a little bit about mid day. Is that acceptable. I have taken her Blood Glucose at the beginning - should I take that more often during this time or wait until the two week mark?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Giving a snack mid day is good. You can also divide up the daily ration so she gets a bedtime snack too.

Here's the basic testing routine we recommend:
    1. test every day AM and PM before feeding and injecting (no food at least 2 hours before) to see if the planned dose is safe
    2. test at least once near mid cycle or at bedtime daily to see how low the BG goes
    3. do extra tests on days off to fill in the response picture
    4. if indicated by consistently high numbers on your spreadsheet, increase the dose by no more than 0.25 u at a time so you don't accidentally go right past a good dose
    5. post here for advice whenever you're confused or unsure of what to do.
    Here's the link to the FDMB spreadsheet. It makes advising a lot easier for us if you set one up:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Yes, it can take a while to see the benefits of a food change and giving insulin. I think the testing routine above and logging numbers on the spreadsheet would allow you to follow her progress more closely.

krazy4kritters likes this.
  3. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

In your signature I see you have down your feeding 1/4 C dry food. Are you still or have you cut dry out of the diet? If you haven't cut the dry food, I would cut that out of kitty's diet first.
    Also, are you following SLGS or TR for regulation. The Lantus and Levimar support group has lots of info. I would head over and start reading the yellow stickies.

4. Bunny0210

Bunny0210 New Member

Thank you. Have two cats, the one with diabetes eats morsels of dry - the other cat eat's it - it's the DM formula. Not sure what SLGS and TR are - if you can point me in the direction of those and yellow stickies I will head over. Thanks

5. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

It is the first forum under the insulin support groups. Also check out catinfo.org. It is extremely informative on feline diet and why dry food is not so healthy. I believe the DM dry is still pretty high in carbs. I switched all my cats to wet food. Lots of us feed Fancy Feast Pate. Last food on the planet I thought I would ever feed but, good things have come of it.
    All of the insulin info, diet, home testing, etc. is A LOT to take in and will be overwhelming. I was glued to my iPad and this site every free moment the first month after Diamond's Dx. It will all get easier. I promise.
    http://catinfo.org/

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Reason for edit: Added link
    Laura & Bundy likes this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

krazy4kritters likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.