Newly diagnosed...what's next for us?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Octopodes, Sep 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Octopodes

Octopodes New Member

Hello, everyone. I started lurking a few weeks ago when I noticed my girl was losing weight, drinking frequently and urinating constantly. I took her to the vet for tests and the first round came back as normal, but further testing on Friday confirmed the diabetes. We have an appointment next week to get her started on insulin and go over what the next few months will like look for her, but I have some questions about what the doctor said.

I was told that she would need insulin twice a day at twelve hours apart. My work schedule is 8AM-5PM M-F, so 95% of the time this won't be an issue. But sometimes there is an emergency and I can't get home until late and on those days I'm really, really late. Sometimes I'm not home until 2 or 3 in the morning. I do understand the importance of regular dosing, and I'm usually only late getting home 2-3 times a month. So how bad would it be if she didn't get an evening dose or got it late?

The vet said she should only eat 2X a day, in the morning and evening when she gets her shot. From what I've read here, frequent small meals are better than two larger meals. Do I mention this to him or feed her the smaller, more frequent meals and pretend I'm following that advice?

She only eats grain-free food and has no preference if it's dry or canned. Would it be terrible if I left some dry food out for her on the days I'm late? Usually I have no notice when I need to work late, but sometimes I do. She will be fed a primarily canned food diet.

We live in a rural area and there would not be anyone else who could/would come over and feed her or give her the evening dose.

I've learned so much from you all, thanks to everyone who reads this.

Some quick info: This is Sophie. She turned eight in July. She was 13 pounds, but dropped pretty quickly to 9.5. She has a sister from the same litter with no issues. Sophie was always my chunky baby, while her sister was slimmer. She's been on grain-free food her whole life.
    [​IMG]

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Welcome! What beautiful eyes Sophie has! I will try to answer some of your questions.

1. Insulin: I would post your question about timing and delays to your specific insulin page. You will get more experienced answers there.

2. 12 hour feeding: I and many others free feed. All of my cats eat small portions at a time. I have tried q12hour and q4hour feeding without success. You just will need to pick up the food about 2 hours before shot time. You want to get a pre shot reading not based on food. I will admit I rarely do this.

3. Vet: Your cat, your choice. I just nod and say sure then go home and do what I feel is right for me and my cat based on my research. My Doc insisted I obtain the Pet glucose meter (Alpha track I think). I refuse to pay outrageous prices for strips, $1.00 per strip. I never get Fructosamine tests or curves in the office. I can do the same stress free in my house. I also tested myself several times and my other cats to get a baseline meter reading.

4. Grain Free Food: These are NOT low carb. From my own research the grains were replaced with HIGH carbohydrate potatoes, lentils, peas and other stuff I can't remember. I would highly recommend Dr Elsys dry kibble at about 6% carbs. https://www.drelseys.com

5. Canned: Friskies Pate and Fancy Feast pate are good choices for low carb canned foods at a reasonable price. Check out Dr Lisa's link about canned food for other choices.

Best wishes to you and Sophie. Keep asking those questions! :smuggrin:

3. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

4. JeanW

JeanW Member

Welcome! Your kitty does have very beautiful eyes indeed.

@Harley Baby & Michele has given you lots of good info.

About 12 hour feeding - I tried it and it was not good at all for my diabetic kitty. I now mostly free feed and my kitty is soooooo much happier and healthier, no longer painfully thin. I feed 2 main meals - 6 AM and 6 PM and then leave the wet food out for the rest of the day and sometimes on the weekends put out a smaller portion of fresh wet food at the 6 hour mark. Yes to picking up the food before shot time. I do this with few exceptions.

The vet - for me with most vets it's just better to nod and say yes and then do what I think is right, is best for my kitty and/or is recommended here. I wish it wasn't that way - I would rather have a more open conversation - but the vets I've seen lately do not have an open mind at all and are sure their way is the only right way.

Many people feed Friskies Pate and Fancy Feast pate and I did for quite a few months. I've since found a high protein low carb food that both I and my cats prefer and they are thriving. It's not inexpensive though.

Keep us posted on how it's going :)

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. Sophie is a lovely girl and we want to help you take good care of her. It would be helpful if you created a signature so that Sophie's pertinent information is available with your posts. That saves repetitive asking and answering. Here's a link on how to do that: SIGNATURE
    If you have been reading information and posts for the last few weeks, you know how important home testing is. Here are a couple of links to information on home testing:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-home-test.htm
    @JanetNJ has a wonderful video she made testing her cat CC, and there are all kinds of videos on YouTube also. It may seem daunting at first, but we all learned to do it and it's the best tool you have to keep Sophie safe.
    We record all the insulin shots and blood glucose tests on a spreadsheet, and it is linked to our signatures. That way when you need advice or have concerns all that information is available to experienced members for recommendations. Just FYI, here is the link about the SPREADSHEET
    There is a lot to learn, but it's one step at a time and then you get there. We will help all we can.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

7. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome, wonderful advise above. Personally I feed very small meals more frequent but then my sugarbaby has pancreatitis and IBD. But with our sugarbaby especially, the body can't get the food it needs so it was told to me, it's like they are starving. Until they can get regulated feed them. Vets these days are not as "diabetic savvy" for lack of education. So I have a nod my head and do what I've researched and been advised here. She takes care of all the other issues. This is the best place you never wanted to be. :bighug: welcome again.

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

9. Octopodes

Octopodes New Member

I want to thank everyone for your replies. It's nice to know that so much support and knowledge is here when we need it the most.

Unfortunately, my Sophie took a turn for the worse and we had to say goodbye to her Thursday afternoon. I'm going to forever miss her greeting me at the door when I came home, her gentle pats on my leg when she wanted up on my lap and her need to play fetch at 3AM.

Thank you all again.

10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So sorry to read this. Be free little one. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. :(

12. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Oh god...so soon.... too soon, oh god. I'm so sorry! Jesus Christ I'm so sorry...... so short, the time was so short. I'm so sorry... your poor baby, I'm so sorry.....

13. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Fly free sweet girl so sorry for your loss. May her light and love guide you in the darker days. cat_wings>o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.