Newly diagnosed & worried about costs- advice needed!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by GatorsRBst, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

I just got the call from my vet that my cat, Scamper, has diabetes. In reading info about it, I'm worried about high costs of treatment. Being a teacher limits my income, so any advice from those with experience with pets with diabetes about how to cut costs, save money, get inexpensive supplies, etc., while still giving the best care to my sweet cat would be appreciated!

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Welcome to the FDMB, the best place you never expected to be. Breathe, take deep breaths and release. Again. Again.

This is so very stressful. What happens next? How can I deal with this? Will my cat be ok? We live and breathe feline diabetes 24/7. Our collective knowledge is invaluable and we can help you with the day to day management. You don't know us "strangers on the internet" but we have helped a lot of people.

First off, would you please tell me your name and where you live. USA, Canada or international. country, state general area would be great.

Yes, we can help you with ideas for saving some money in the treatment of Scamper and his diabetes.

1. commercial cat food. low carb, Fancy Feast classic pates or Friskies pates are more cost effective than the prescription diets and as good as or better than the prescription diets in ingredients and wide range of flavors.
    2. long lasting insulin like Lantus, Levimir, PZI or Prozinc. They cost more than Humulin or Novolin but are so much better for your cat.
    3. appropriate low starting dose of insulin.
    4. Home testing. Of Urine to check for ketones. Of blood to test the BG's and adjust the insulin dose. Scary thought, to poke your cat's ear to get blood, but it saves you the cost of having curves done at the vet and Fructosamine tests at the vet.

We have lots of more detailed information available, but I did not want to overwhelm you.

How are you feeling? Stressed? Panicked? Shocked? A state of bewilderment? This is natural. We can provide emotional support and help you every step of the way. Please let us know how we can help you.

3. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

Hello and Welcome :)

As we all say here, this may be the last place you want to be, but the best place you can be when your furbaby is diagnosed with FD.

Initially, the cost might be a bit high, mostly due to the insulin and the vet bills :p

Other equipment like a home testing meter is a one time buy. You will have to keep up with strips and lancets and of course low carb treats (most of us here use freeze dried chicken, like PureBites).

I use a WalMart brand ReliOn Confirm. The meter itself is less than $20, and the strips are quite reasonable. I actually made my first ebay purchase of strips...and found a great deal...100 strips for $22.00, so shop around, but just make sure you check the expiration date on them.

WalMart also has their own brand of syringes, which are much cheaper, and have the 1/2 unit markings which is, in my opinion, a necessity.

Did your vet say the type of insulin your kitty will get?

On this site somewhere also there is a link to a coupon for Lantus pens. You can buy 6 @ $25.00 each, either one at a time or at once, I believe. Of course, that will only help if Lantus insulin is prescribed.

There will be much more experienced members coming along shortly I'm sure, so I just wanted to say welcome and give you an idea :)

4. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

You can avoid some of the vet bills depending on how much you are willing to do at home for example

- Vet wants to do a "curve" at regular intervals.. can be $300+.. Home testing is more accurate and much cheaper!
    - Vet says ok to home testing but tries to sell you an expensive Alphatrak meter -people meters are cheaper and just as accurate ie the Walmart relion brand ( if you are in the US)
    - Vet recommends prescription wet food that your cat wont eat after a couple of days. Fancy feast pates, friskies pates and wellness grain free canned are just as good and cheaper.
    - The bottle on insulin has a 28 day expiry printed on it - Not accurate - Lantus , Levemir and prozinc last up to six months if kept in the fridge

If you give us more info we can help more.

Wendy

5. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Thanks so much for your quick and helpful replies. I have an appt this afternoon with the vet to learn how to give the shots. He didn't mention the kind of insulin, but did warn me both about price - abt $150/bottle - and that it would say only good for 1 month, but actually can last much longer if stored in the fridge. From everything I've read so far - been on a big learning curve the last couple of hours (thank goodness it is summer & I have the time!) - and so I feel more confident going into the vets with knowledge. Thanks so much fir the support already given, and for the great info! Yes, I live in the US, Florida, Orlando area, so I see a trip to Walmart in my very near future!

6. Deb & Wink

What is your first name?

7. terriy

terriy Member

It does seem like a lot to handle at first however it will get better. I thought that I would not be able to do it or afford to do it however that is not the case. The biggest thing for me was that I had a feral cat and I was scared! All I knew is that if I did not learn to do it then I would have no choice but to put her to sleep. At first it was not easy since I had hardly ever picked her up. Over the months and years that I have used her as a guinea pig she has come to trust me. My message to you is this - you can do it, its going to take time but don't give up. There are also plenty of experts here that can walk you through anything and answer a question about anything!! You have all the help you can ever need! Welcome!!

8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. You will be able to learn the most economical methods both to treat Scamper and to care for Scamper from the people here.

First thing I would suggest would be to get yourself a human blood glucose meter. You can easily test Scamper at home and avoid the costly trips to the vet for testing and curves. The most economical meter would be the Relion meters, so pick up a Relion meter, the test strips and lancets for the meter, and also get yourself a container of KETOSTIX from the pharmacy, to be used to test Scamper's urine for ketones.

I would not rush into spending money on insulin and syringes because you want to be sure that Scamper truly needs insulin..... there are a great deal of cats who are found to be DIET CONTROLLED cats. It has been found that feeding a diet of low carb wet food will bring those high glucose numbers tumbling down, so if you can post what you are feeding Scamper, you can be helped to ensure that Scamper is eating what is best for health.
    A very good site to read, all about nutrition and good diet and why dry is bad is Dr.Lisa Pierson's site.
    http://catinfo.org/

On her site, she has compiled a list of wet foods and their fat, protein, and carb %. Look for foods that are 10% carbs or less and feed them to Scamper.
    http://catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

Now, if you have been feeding dry food or high carb food, give the switch to wet food a chance to settle with Scamper, maybe a week on wet will give you an idea how the diet change has affected Scamper's numbers. Keep home testing with the Relion meter so you can see the progress.

Once Scamper's diet is correct, you will then be able to see if the numbers are still high and you may need to give insulin. Any food change will result in Scamper needing more insulin than if the food had not been changed.

Aside from fixing the diet and starting to home test, it's important to know if Scamper has any other health issues or is taking any meds that may be causing higher BG numbers. Other health issues like infection, pancreatitis, dental problems, can all cause higher BG numbers, so you will want to rule out those problems.

Last, if you can tell us a bit about the reason Scamper was taken to the vet, and also how the vet tested for diabetes. Did the vet do a fructosamine test or did the vet just state Scamper was diabetic because of a high glucose number on a blood panel? One number is not good enough, but the fructosamine test is an average of Scamper's glucose over the last few weeks and if that number's high, then Scamper may well be diabetic (hopefully a diet controlled one).

If you fix his diet, and get a Relion meter, your expenses will be the test strips, syringes, and insulin (Lantus or Levemir are the best ones), and members here can tell you the best places for prices on insulin and syringes. There is no need for expensive vet visits and curves at the vet. you will be perfectly capable of treating Scamper yourself at home.

Gayle

9. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Sorry I didn't say earlier - my name is Janet. I read much information today, most on this site, and I'm definitely changing the diet of both my cats. My other cat, Domino, has had several instances with Crystals, so for many years I've been feeding both my kitties Hill's Prescription diet c/d. It definitely stopped Domino's crystals - he hasn't had problems since - but today I've read how bad dry food is for cats. I'm sad to say I wasn't aware if this previously, but I'm now committed to switching both my cats to wet food and twice a day feelings instead of using the perpetual feeder. I thought it would be a problem, since that's pretty much all they've eaten for most their lives (dry), but tonight both of hem ate & enjoyed wet food! The vet prescribed Lantus insulin without me having to ask. I was happy, since that seemed to be one highly recommended here. Scamper does not have other medical problems, is not obese (underweight, actually, which is one of the main reason I brought him to the vet), and is 13 years old. Recently he'd lost a significant amount of weight, was drinking & urinating much more than usual & just seemed off. He got a full screening at the vet's, but I'm not sure if he got the specific test mentioned above. I'll call the vet tomorrow and ask. I do know that the measurement in his blood was very high - in the 400s - when it was supposed to be in the 100-200 range, I believe. It was a lot of info to take in & I'm forgetting some of those details. I truly appreciate the help you've offered! Thanks for the advice. I'll purchase the ketone six and home measurement relion meter tomorrow. Thanks again!

10. terriy

terriy Member

I use the ReliOn Prime meter because a box of 50 test strips only cost $9. You will find that the strips for the meter is what cost so much and not the meter itself. I can go through a box as fast as lightning so that's why I use the Prime. The only thing is that it is a WalMart meter and strips and thats the only place you can buy the strips. If you have a Walmart nearby then its not a big deal.
    It seems like a lot to learn at first but its not really that hard. There is someone on the board to answer any question and walk you through anything!
    What part of Florida are you from? I lived in Florida for about 20 years. My sugar cat is a stray that I found while living in Palm Bay, FL. I also lived in Ocala and Kississimme for a while. Florida is my second favorite team. I was lucky to live there when Tebow was in his hayday! Both my cats were from Florida. My cat George who recently passed away was 15-17 years old and I found him while I was working in Zepherhills FL and a few years later Chicken Little was found in the woods in Palm Bay. I sometimes really miss living in Florida!!
    Terriy

11. Deb & Wink

You can still free feed your cats. Just remember to portion control. Maybe put out 1/4 of the food in the morning, 1/4 before you leave for work, 1/4 when you get home and 1/4 before you go to bed.

This will help your sugarcat also, to have the meals spread out over the day.

When you are ready to learn how to home test, add a question onto your post here and we will give you the tips and tricks and videos to watch. I'd do it now but don't have all those great links on my work computer.

12. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Terri, I live in the Orlando area. I got my degree from U of F & am a die-hard Gator! Go Gators!! I also feel lucky to have attended many a game when Tebow was Q-back, including his last home game - a superb win against Florida State!

I have purchased a ReliOn home testing unit, but I need instruction. When us the best time to test? Before Scamp eats, after eating, after the insulin shot?? Also, how do I prick to get blood? I read to do his ear, but when I tried tonight, I just hurt him & didn't get any drops of blood. :shock: Is there a specific place in his ear? Please help! My mother has diabetes & I've seen her pricking her finger, but don't know how/where to do it on a cat! I'd appreciate any guidance & help you guys have. Thanks again! Janet

13. Deb & Wink

Ear testing tips document here with picture of the cat's ear and lots of tips to make it work better. https://docs.google.com/document/d/13c_CPZVKz27fD_6aVbsguadJKvjSrSAkD7flgPPhEag/pub

Testing psychology here: https://sites.google.com/site/michelangeloprofilefdmb/feline-diabetes/ear-testing-psychology

Test before every shot, to make sure the BG is high enough to give insulin. We start at a threshold of 200 for shoot/no shoot status.
    Test mid-cycle, to find the nadir or lowest point the insulin takes your cat. +5 to +7 is typical but ECID.

14. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Hi there

Testing can be challenging at first depending on the cat and how much of a bleeder they are. Deb provided good tips so have a good read of those and watch the videos etc.

It doesnt hurt them as much as it hurts your mom because a cats ear has less nerve endings than your moms finger. if scamp was objecting it was more to having his ear held etc.

a few key tips from the tips deb gave.

1. always warm the ear first
    2. Have something firm behind the ear to press against
    3. Always give a low carb treat afterward whether successful or not

Are you using the lancet on its own or the device? And what size lancets?

Wendy

15. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Watched the videos & got up the nerve to do testing again, but wasn't successful. After poking several times & still not getting a big enough drop of blood, I gave up for now. :? Will try again later today. The lancets I'm using came with the testing kit - I will have to go buy more soon b/c it only came with a few. They say 30g - is that the size? For now, I'm trying to do it freehand. Gave Scamper a treat afterwards just b/c he was such a good boy to let me try!

The vet prescribed 2 units of insulin 2x a day for now. From reading info on your forum, I know that seems high, but I'm afraid to not follow Dr's instructions without being able to get a good home test!

Thanks so much for the links to the videos and psychology for home testing. They've been VERY useful. I'm not giving up, just taking a break for now.

Your help and advice has been fantastic. Thanks for all of it! :cool:

16. Deb & Wink

When you buy more lancets, look for the ones labeled "For alternate test site". Those are larger gauge, 25-26, so make it easier to get blood when you are first starting out.

Those 30 gauge lancets can be more difficult to use at first. The ears will 'learn to bleed'. They actually form new capillaries over time, angiogenesis. :cool:

17. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Yay! Finally got a drop of blood big enough to get my 1st reading!! :D it's been about 6-7 hrs since his shot this morning & was pretty high - 324. :shock: I guess he's making progress from the numbers in the 400s that he had at the vet's last Thurs, but I'd been hoping it was already lower than that! Guess he DOES actually need the 2 units of insulin for his 2 shots a day that I've been giving him since Friday night...

He'd been drinking so much less, I was hoping for a better/lower reading, but since his diet is now all wet food maybe that's why he's been drinking less water? Scamper's been voraciously hungry, which I think is great b/c he'd lost so much weight before being diagnosed. AND it's also great b/c he seems to LOVE lost every flavor of the wet food I've given him so far! Please tell me if that's actually a bad sign?!

Tomorrow I'll be headed out to the stores to buy some 30g lancets (anything to make this easier!) and some more wet canned food that will serve both my sweet kitties needs - low carb, grain free, and low phosphorus! Whew! Hopefully not to many more expenses to do with all this for the next couple weeks... The checkbook is quite depleted! Any suggestions on the best place to buy the 30g lancets? Walmart, Target, or some other store! I'm looking for the best buy...

Thanks for all the help! I can't believe how excited I still am from getting that blood drop! LOL

18. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I would look for the 26 gauge for right now http://www.relion.com/diabetes/lancets I use a 28 gauge and always have. The smaller the gauge number the thicker the lancet and the easier it is to get a blood droplet big enough for a test.

19. Deb & Wink

Welcome to the Vampire Club!!!

My 3 don't drink out of the water bowl any more since they have been on wet food. I keep refilling them everyday just in case they want a drink of water instead of in their food.

Sorry, I can't tell you that loving every flavor is a bad sign. It means he's hungry. Once the BG's get under control, the appetite will diminish. Back to a more normal amount. We tell people that diabetic cats can need up to 50% more calories because their bodies can not process the food properly until the insulin doses start to regulate the cat.

Actually, you want the larger 25-26 gauge lancets. The ones labeled on the box "For Alternate Site Testing".

Walmart usually has them. Like $3.74 for a box of 50 .

Lancets - the larger the number, the smaller the size of the pin to prick.

20. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Sorry- my mistake! I meant that I already have a few 30 lancets & I need to go get the larger ones (26-28) tomorrow. The link you provided showed me how inexpensive they are at Walmart - thanks so much! Walmart & Petsmart, here I come!

One more question - I want to purchase some low carb (probably freeze dried?) treats for my sugarcat tomorrow as well. Do you guys gave any suggestions for a good brand/flavor and where to get them?

Thanks - I have so many, many questions! Good thing you all are so smart and knowledgable! :smile:

21. Deb & Wink

Good low carb treats suggestions for your cat in this post. Basically, anything that is pure meat is good.

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9172

My kitties love the Halo Liv-a-Little freeze dried chicken, the Pure Bites brand freeze dried chicken, and the Whole Life brand freeze dried liver.

Some people say they get the Pure bites at Walmart but I have never found them at my local WM. Petsmart, Petco are good places to check.

I mail order mostly. I do have a local specialty dog and cat store but they are more expensive there.

Just paying it forward. Someone else helped us when we were new here.

22. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

So, I think I've gotten the hang of the ear testing a bit better now & Scamper seems to love the treats he gets afterwards! I'm a bit panicky though - first time I've tested & found his levels so low - 50. :shock: ! It turns out he at VERY little this morning - found a flavor of wet he doesn't like so much (Friskies Mixed Grill Pate) and Domino left most of it, too. Tested poor Scamper 2x to be sure the reading was correct - thought it had malfunctioned. Got a 50, then a 51. Am very worried. Just finished giving him a few extra treats for letting me do his ears twice in a row & he ate another 1 oz or so of a different kind of wet food. Should I be panicky? I'm keeping a close eye on him, just wondering when I should test next, if it will be thrown off by the food I gave him now, if not eating this morning before his shot may be what caused it to drop so low? I'm worried b/c it is only +3-4 after shot & I know from reading you said it will go even lower the next couple of hours?? Help!!

23. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

he has two hours before the lantus hits its peak. Get another test in 30 minutes and see where he is and let us know. The food may take him up but he might come down again after that.. or it might not affect him and we will need to break out the high carb HC food. Do you have HC at home? Anything with gravy.. You dont need to worry quite yet, just keep an eye on him though.

Wendy

24. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

I am also thinking thats a sudden drop. I am not sure its just because he didnt eat. You might want to reduce his insulin to 1 unit and see how that goes for a few days to a week. 2 is a high starting dose anyway.

25. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

No, what is High Carb HC food? Can you name some brands for me? I'm going to the store later today (after I'm sure Scamp is OK), so I can pick some up then. I have Karo Syrup, honey, and dry Hill's c/d if any of those would help?

26. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Ok the karo syrup will work if he drops below 40. But for now just test - please get another test 30 minutes from when you got the 50 and let me know and we can decide what to do.

If he drops again we may feed him a tsp of his regular low carb food with a single drop of syrup but we will see where he is first. I am hoping the food you gave him will bring him up a bit. But even if it does we will need more tests depending on how high is is.

HC (high Carb) food is anything over 15% calories from carbs so any gravy lovers fancy feast will do. Pretty much any canned with gravy. And keep it aside for these issues only !

I will be here let me know how the test goes

Wendy

27. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Uh oh. Just tested again. Rdg is now 32. Advice, pls??

28. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

yikes. Ok feed 1 tsp of regular food with a 2 drops of syrup on it and test again in 30 and let me know

Tomorrow you will be reducing the dose to 1 unit for sure.

Wendy

29. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

If he wont eat it rub it on his gums. Its important he gets the syrup into him.

30. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Summary

• AMPS 356 gave 2 IU
      +3 50 gave LC
      +3.5 32 gave 1 tsp LC + 2 drops syrup. (1.25pm EST)

Wendy

31. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

He didn't really want to eat his old (dry Hill's c/d) food - I've been feeding him wet since Friday & he love, love, loves it! So I gave him more of the wet that he ate earlier with the Karo drops mixed in. Hard to measure the Karo - not sure exactly what 2 drops is, but went with 2 small squeezes. He ate most of it up.

I'm wondering if this drop has been happening the whole time I've been giving him shots - since Friday night - and I just didn't know b/c I finally got the hang of the home testing?!?! Also, he isn't showing ANY signs of problems, looking unsteady on his feet, drooling, etc., and he hasn't since I've been administering the shots.

He has another shot due tonight at 8pm. Let's talk after his next reading about what I should be giving him then - I can't stay up all night ear testing...

Thanks so much!

32. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

a drop is the size of a dime I guess. You dont want him to eat too much LC - only a teaspoon - because you want him to keep eating in case we need to give syrup again.

How is your supply of strips?

He may have been doing this before now but Lantus is a depot insulin and it takes time to build up to the correct level in his system.. so that may have coincidentally started now. and that correct level for 2IU is too much.

Cats vary at what level they show symptoms. We don't want him dropping much further. Tonite maybe you skip and start fresh on 1 unit tomorrow morning. That will allow the "depot" to empty a bit so that the 2IU is out his system and we can start fresh on the 1unit.

Wendy

33. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Janet, Time for another test please!

thanks

Wendy

34. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Janet, for future reference, if a cat is that low and refuses to eat anything including vanilla ice cream, then you go to Karo, rub on the gums, wait max of 15-20 minutes, test, and if needed, rub some more Karo, and keep it up until numbers either go up and stay there or kitty will eat and numbers go up and stay there. I spent one night doing this with MC, Karo, test, more Karo, more testing,....finally got to where I would set my cell phone every 15 minutes in case I fell asleep. Never syringe Karo.......you could aspirate him. Also, some cats may never show a hypo symptom and suddenly start seizing. So glad you are hometesting now and hugs, kisses and praise always work well after each test no matter the years of testing.

35. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Janet,

I am a little worried now - did you manage to get that test? :)

Wendy

36. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Sorry - had set my timer for 30 min, then had troube pricking to get blood. Scamper's poor ears are like pincushions today! Reading is now 91. Better?

37. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Much! but the syrup will wear off and he could well come down again. Another test in 30 minutes please and let me know. We need to get two readings that are increasing without syrup. So lets see where he is in 30. Remember to warm those ears first and give a low carb treat after.

Talk to you soon!

Wendy

Summary

AMPS 356 gave 2 IU
    +3 50 gave LC
    +3.5 32 gave 1 tsp LC + 2 drops syrup. (1.25pm EST)
    +4.25 91

38. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Thanks, will do.

I always warm his ear first, but am using the lancets that came with testing kit. I'm now almost out & they are only 30g, so had already planned on getting more today that have bigger needle & hopefully it will be easier. Want to be sure Scamp's ok to leave for a bit first, though.

Will get back to you in a few minutes with his next test results.

39. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Up to 110 now. Whew. Feel like I can breathe again. Input/advice?

40. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

In an emergency, you can re-use the lancet. It gets duller with repeated use, so for the comfort of kitty's ear, it isn't recommended.

MJ

41. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Thank you, MJ. I'd thought of that & have saved the last one I used in case I wouldn't be able to get out until tomorrow. I had read that they became less sharp & didn't want to do that to Scamper unless I had to, though. Now you've confirmed it! Should I stay home to do another test in 30 minutes, or do you think it would be safe to leave him for a bit to get the shopping done?

Also, any advice about what to do about the PM shot would be welcome. Thanks, Janet.

42. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

I would do another test in 30..

43. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

OK, will do, Wendy. Thx.

44. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

High carb food = Fancy Feast with gravy - - Grilled, sliced, gravy lovers

there are lots of other high carb options -- gravy is the quickest to digest -- flavors with rice or other grains are not quite as quick to digest.

45. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Newest test - just done 106.

46. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Thank you, Phoebe, for the high carb suggestions. :razz:

47. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

He is surfing... You are probably fine to go shopping now!

48. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Yay! Thanks, Wendy!

49. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

And remember start him again on 1 unit tomorrow and we will see how that does. You can expect him to be high as he will "bounce" as a result of these lows but dont worry ...and dont be tempted to go for the higher dose. The bounce will clear.

AMPS 356 gave 2 IU
    +3 50 gave LC
    +3.5 32 gave 1 tsp LC + 2 drops syrup.
    +4.25 91
    +5 110
    +6 106

50. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Should I do a pm shot tonight?? I am good to go with the 1 unit shot tomorrow am, but I won't be able to stay home & test him so often tomorrow, so I'm worried about changing things & skipping shots. I appreciate your advice, though, so please fill me in on the best thing to do & I will do it! Janet

51. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

If you skip it will drain the depot and tomorrow you can start fresh on 1 unit. I would still get a test at your usual preshot time though to see where he is and another before bed test if you can. the more data the better at this point..

You definately do not want to continue on 2 units. I think skipping tonite would be safest since you arent home tomorrow

52. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

OK, so I did another test an hour ago & Scamper's reading was 393. Just did another one (would be his pre-PM shot test) and he was up to 437. Do you still recommend skipping tonight's shot? That's so high... Please help!

53. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Remember I told you he would "bounce" high and not to worry? ;)

We can certainly shoot 1unit tonite, and it would be preferable I am going to need a test again in a few hours, just before bed... Can you do that?

Wendy

54. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Sure, I can test again, but I can also skip the shot if you think that's best. This is the first time I've seen a number so high, so it scared me. I guess too low is even worse, though, right? If I give him the 1 unit now, how many hours later should I test again?

55. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Really I would prefer for you to give the shot. And test again in 2 hours and let us know. Since he is bouncing he probably will be high for the night but we need to check. Better safe than sorry as you discovered today.

Wendy

56. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Here is definition of a bounce. Get used to them.. Most cats bounce for a while..

Bounces - what are they and is my cat doing them?
    When a cat is first diagnosed, the blood glucose has probably been high for a while. As the insulin starts to take effect and numbers start to come down, the liver has to learn to adjust to the lower numbers. We call this "liver training school". But before it relearns that low numbers are ok, when the BG drops to a number lower than the liver is accustomed, or if BGs drop low, or if the BG drops suddenly, the liver”panics” and reacts by releasing counterregulatory hormones and glucagon. This drives the BG back up. This is what we call a "bounce". Bounces can take up to 72 hours to clear so we are generally careful about increasing doses during the bounce. Once the bounce clears, then you can see the "real" numbers and determine if the dose needs to go up or down.

57. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Ok, Wendy, thanks. I'll give him the 1 unit dose now & test again in 2 hours. Thanks so much for the support, help, advice, explanations, etc. I'm so thankful to have people like you to lean on!

58. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

We enjoy it!

I will be here in two hours.

Basic rule of thumb with lantus

If +2 is a lot more than pre-shot, than it's probably going to be an inactive cycle.
    If +2 is similar to pre-shot, it's likely to be an active cycle.
    If +2 is much less than pre-shot, it's likely to be a VERY active cycle.
    BUT, there is that ECID thing. and kitties can surprise us and not follow the rules.

59. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

I'm so sorry! Fell asleep on the couch & missed perfect +2 time - this has been a crazy day... Going to test now & hopefully it will still work. Bless you for already putting an explanation of the different readings already!

60. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

+2 1/2 Scamper's reading is 395.

61. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

+2.5 test is even better since you can already see the insulin kick in. It looks like he is slowly clearing the bounce, which can take up to 72 hours.

However I suspect he may clear it by tomorrow. If you can get a +6 or +7 I would set the alarm just to be 100%sure nothing unexpected happens like another drop low. It probably won't but will give you peace of mind.

Don't feed for two hours before shot time to ensure the preshot number isn't influenced by food.

Tomorrow if he is under 200, don't feed, don't shoot and come here and post. Then retest in 30mins. We don't like newbies to shoot under 200 until they have data to support it , and an experienced member coaches you through it.

Wendy

62. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

I'm so glad the +2.5 worked even better, but I'm sorry if you were kept up waiting for me! I'm afraid I fell asleep before seeing your last message & I slept right through the +6-7 numbers. Just woke & took a +10 and got 335, so I doubt I'll have to worry abt Scamper being under 200 pre shot. I'll definitely let you know in a couple hours, though! Thanks so much!

63. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Scamper's AM pre-shot test is a 387, I'm assuming a shot is a good idea. 1 unit after feeding?

64. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Yep. Good to go.

65. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Thanks, Wendy. I gave Scamper the shot, but have to leave for awhile. I'm hoping to be back to test him again today, definitely for the +6 hour & possibly in between as well (if possible). I will keep adding the test measurements to Scamper's spreadsheet & hopefully I won't need your help as drastically as I did yesterday.

On a side note, is it normal for cats to develop dandruff as a side effect of any of the changes Scamper has had lately - food change, insulin shots, etc.? I noticed some flakes when petting him yesterday and again this morning...

Thanks again, Janet

66. Deb & Wink

Dandruff is a symptom of the BG numbers not being regulated for some time. It may get worse before it gets better.

Wink had awful dandruff, huge flakes the size of a nickel. And his hair was matted and skin was so dry and he lost hair in big chunks. It took a while, but his dry skin got better when he got switched to the wet food low carb diet and his BG's got under control. He now has a beautiful, shiny coat.

67. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Thanks for the info, Deb! I'll look forward to no more dandruff somewhere in the near (hopefully!) future.

Scamp's +6 reading was 375. Not much change in today's readings so far with the lower dosage (1 unit for last 2 shots instead of the 2 units the vet prescribed). Thankfully I'm not panicky today since I didn't experience a very low drop like yesterday, but these numbers don't seem very good. Just keep going so the depot continues to fill, I guess?

Thanks, as always, for the tips, information, and guidance!

68. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Patience... He is still bouncing from the low... Hold the dose for at least three days to let it settle in.. Unless he drops under 50 again..

69. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

See.. he came down. Your patience was worth it. lol. ;) Can you get a +3?

70. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Yes, I'm home today, so I'll get a +3 and a +6. I'm hoping to see something that continues to have me smiling! :razz:

Scamper absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVEs these freeze dried treats! He's already associating the ear tests to getting a treat & will come to me when I start prepping the supplies! Thanks for the help leading me to them - I was worried he wouldn't like them as much as his old, crunchy treats, but that worry was for naught! LOL

Thanks for keeping up with him (and me!).

71. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

paws crossed! :D

72. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

106 at +3. Was planning to do another test at +6, but knowing it is prob going to drop more, should I do them sooner? :?

73. Deb & Wink

That's more than a 50% drop in 3 hours since the AMPS so, yes I'd definitely advise getting a test at +4.

74. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Very nice. Now he might drop more (under 50 is dose decrease) or he might surf the blues, or go back up.. lets see! A +4 would be good.

75. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

+4 - 102!! Yippee!! Can I wait to test again until +6? What do you think?

76. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

My cat, this is the second time he has dropped into low levels, I think I would want a test at +5 just to be sure... Probably will be another blue but who knows since we don't have that much data yet.

77. Deb & Wink

Surfing in the blues today. Keep it up Scamper.

There is not a lot of past test data for Scamper to predict how he will do. Your choice. Test again at +5 and +6 or only at +6.

I'd feel safer with you doing both tests.

78. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Since I have the time & supplies, I'll go ahead and do both +5 and +6. Scamper seems to LOVE the treat he gets afterward, so it's really just me that's feeling bad about poking him so many times! LOL It'll be better to have the info, I know.

79. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

+5 reading = 99

80. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

+6 = 120 :D

81. terriy

terriy Member

That calls for a kitty dance! dancing_cat

82. Deb & Wink

So looks like nadir was somewhere around +5 to +6 today. Good info to have.

83. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Good info and nice to see the surf. Lets sew where it goes tonite and if he bounces off teh blue.

84. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

+9 = 107! Not sure how you made that kitty dance, but I sure feel like dancing now!! Such a good day so far. :D :lol: :razz:

85. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Ok looking good but also looking like he might be heading to a low preshot test. I dont think you are ready for that as you dont have enough data to shoot low, so if he is under 200 we will ask you to skip the shot but get another test at +3. This will mean a higher than normal AMPS but he will come back down.

Read this too in preparation because you will need to learn to shoot low - just not yet. http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=147

Wendy

86. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Scamp's pre-shot blood test was 140. Should I still skip the shot tonight? Going to read the info you posted now.

87. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Yep, you don't have enough data to shoot yet.

Do you have Urine ketone test strips by the way?

88. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

No, I don't have the ketone strips. I couldn't find where to buy them. If I already prepped the shot, can I just store it in the fridge (in the needle) to use tomorrow?

89. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Urine test strips are generally available with the diabetic supplies in a human pharmacy. Sometimes you have to ask the pharmacy staff for them. Some smaller pharmacies may not routinely stock them.

Our shopping partner ADW carries them.
    Diastix
    KetoDiastix
    Ketostix

90. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Ok, thanks BJM. I will look for them when I go out in the next couple days for more testing strips - tearing through those at a VERY quick rate (only for now, I hope).

I'd alreay prepped the needle with 1 unit of insulin before I saw your message, Wendy, to hold off on the shot for tonight. Can I store it, as is, in the fridge & still use it tomorrow morning?

Also - I'm not sure I'll be able to stay up at +3 tonight, but will get as close as I can to that for another reading! Will also set my alarm to help (and hopefully I won't sleep through it). Thanks for the help, as always!

91. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Its often easier to wake up from sleep if it is at a multiple of 45 minutes. This is because the average sleep cycle is about 45 minutes. Time your wake up for a multiple of 45 minutes after falling asleep to be awake and conscious enough to test at +3.

92. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

93. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

No shot +3 BG #217

94. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Ok cool. So have a nice sleep tonite as you never know what tomorrow will bring ;)

You should be able to get the strips at any pharmacy including Walmart, just might have to ask as they might be behind the counter.

95. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

348 pre shot BG. Administered 1 unit dose. I'm not worried (you warned me #would be high - you were right!)

Wendy, even though ReliOn is Walmart brand, they'll have the correct testing strips other places besides WalMart? But Walmart probably has the best price, I bet...

How often should I try to test the BG numbers today?

96. Deb & Wink

Relion brand test strips are only available at Wal-Mart. Either at the store or ordering on-line.

Arkray is the manufacturer of the Relion brand glucometers. The test strips for the Relion Confirm/Micro are interchangeable with the test strips for the Arkray Glucocard 01.

And if you use the link at the top of the screen to go to ADW to buy the strips, this website gets a little bit of money to keep it going. Any shopping through Amazon or at Walmart will too, so I use the link whenever I can. Every little bit of money will help this website to keep going. We have fundraisers too.

97. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

No - you would have to buy them from walmart but thats the whole point since they are cheapest! I live in Canada, we dont have those here and I pay $50 for 100 strips if I can get a good deal. The relions are like half that price! Please use our affiliate links above if you are buying online though since a small proceed of the sale goes to supporting the board.

Wendy

98. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Will do! Happy to contribute to this site since it has already been so, so helpful to me! Glad to find out there's a way I can help & get needed supplies at the same time. :razz:

99. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Some bounce today, but not nearly as low as Tuesday. I did not have to administer Karo today, but was very surprised by the high pre-shot PM number. Felt confident in giving Scamper the PM shot since his number was so high. If you get a chance, take a look at his Spreadsheet and let me know what you think. Thanks!

100. Deb & Wink

The high PM pre-shot for today, 6/21 is most likely caused by those low green BG numbers you got midday. What we call a bounce. The body is not used to those low numbers so it reacts and pumps out hormones and glycogen to raise the BG's back to what it considers a normal range. It can take 72 hours to clear a bounce.

Be patient.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.