Newly Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bartley8075@aol.com, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartley8075@aol.com

bartley8075@aol.com New Member

My cat was just diagnosed with diabetes and she is 12yrs old...She has been at the vet for 4days and her glucose is not coming down very quickly...it was 619 when i brought her in and today it was 526. I need advice on what I should do...

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I have moved your post over to the Lantus group so that you will have some people see your post.
    I hope you get some replies soon.

3. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

What type of insulin is she on? Why has she been at the vets for 4 days? When I first brought Scrabble in he was 506 but he only stayed there one night.

4. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Hi again, just wondering if you know what type of insulin she is on. If it is Lantus then it takes a while to regulate.
    Scrabble lost weight and was drinking lots of water, that is when I brought him in.

5. bartley8075@aol.com

bartley8075@aol.com New Member

im not sure what type of insulin she is on...so this could take a while to regulate her? it doesnt mean she will die does it?

6. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

If you could call your vet and find out what type of insulin she is on that could help and no I don't think she will die!!! Lantus is a fabulous insulin, if she is not on that maybe you could find out if your vet would be willing to try Lantus. Where do you live??

7. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

She could be frightened from being at the vet which could cause her Blood Sugar to rise.

If they are giving humulin R or N to bring her numbers down fast that could also be causing rebound.

Please ask them what insulin, how many units they have given, when they gave it and when they test the blood sugar. Ask what they are feeding her also.

8. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Worried about you, hope all is ok! Post when you can!

9. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

I sent you a pm a little while ago. Hope you will come back on today. If anyone else is reading this she told me the insulin the cat is on is NPH. Would love to give you some advice, hope kitty is ok.

10. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

fwiw, unless the cat has ketones or is horribly sick, progress won't be made as long as the cat is at the vet's.

i don't know many cats that love being at the vets and the stress of it can actually cause higher glucose levels.

and to be honest, they didn't get diabetes overnight and you can't get rid of it nor get it under control overnight or in a matter of days. most cats take many many weeks if not months for control or remission.

now, to address something straight on here, your vet is starting you out on a not so good insulin and they are keeping your cat at the clinic to be "regulated". this tells me they are not very knowledgeable about current diabetes treatments. what is going to happen is that they are gonna keep the cat there until they think it's been a reasonable time, charge you a small fortune, then send you home on a very large dose of an easily dangerous insulin if not dosed properly. then, more than likely, you are going to have a crisis at home because kitty is relaxed, lowering her glucose levels, and you're going to give a big dose of that insulin.

what you should do if kitty is otherwise healthy is bring her home, and give 1 unit of that insulin twice a day, pick up a glucose meter from walmart and start testing her at home yourself so you know what is going on. and maybe weekly for the first few weeks, email your vet the numbers.

ideally, you talk to the vet about using a better insulin like lantus or levemir though but if you are not up to that right now, that is fine. you can switch at any time, i.e. after we provide you some info and answers so you know more about this disease then most people ever will :)

11. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

I agree with everything Cindy and Mousie said, hope you get a chance to read this post today, we are here to support you!!!!!!!!!!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes please find out specifically why your cat is at the vet...what exactly is she being treated for. ketones? if it's just regulating her #s you can bring her home but find out everythiing you need before you do. from us. not vet.
    we can save you lot's of $ and most likely achieve what the vet is trying to achieve.

13. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

She just sent me a PM, she brought the cat home and the cat is on VETSULIN. I told her to post on health about it since there are probably others that can help her with it. Just wanted to update

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thanks for the update....wonder if she's stuck with the vetsulin since not too many folks using that...is she prepared to test and all?

15. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh I am glad she contacted you Michelle.
    Vetsulin?? I can't believe vets are still going with that.
    I hope she posts back and maybe have her switch insulins if possible.

16. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

I asked her about hometesting but I have not heard back, not sure how often she is on here. She is still pretty scared about the whole process, hope we can help her!!

17. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

PZI insulins like ProZinc and others are "great" insulins too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.