newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dave & Missy, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave & Missy

Dave & Missy New Member

Hi everyone

Missy is newly diagnosed 15 lb female (May 5 2010)
    Started on Lantus 1 unit 2 times a day (3rd day now)
    Got home test unit. This mornings reading is at 360 (6 hours earlier she was @ 291.
    (Initial vet taken reading was 468)
    Feed Fancy Feast -she turned nose up@ Purina DM
    She eats & then take shots
    She is due for shot now.

Last night she ran out of litter box like her butt was on fire.She calmed down after 10 min
    She gets extremely tired 1/2 hour after shot. I play with her to keep her awake because I am nervous.
    Should she be getting this tired after shot?

Will know urine test results tommorrow

Thanks for any help!

2. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

That's funny, Sweety does the same thing after pooping. just poops and runs. Another cat I had, did the same thing.
    Sometimes I have to check to see if (and I'm sorry if this is...gross, but) any are left hanging, and I have to pull the half in/out turd out - a little constipated.

3. Dave & Missy

Dave & Missy New Member

Thanks for reply

This is a new reaction. She was clean. (but I too have seen the "carry over issues" -especially if she eats long grass!)

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Was it urine that made her run or a bowel movement?

Just wondering if there's a possible urinary tract infection or if there's constipation.

When she's tired after her shot, can you get a blood sugar number?

Have you had a chance to read the FAQ section, it's a great place to start. But definitely continue to ask questions also.
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2502

She likes the Fancy Feast canned? That would be a good thing.

5. Dave & Missy

Dave & Missy New Member

Ran from box after urine. The 360 reading was 1-1/2 hour after lethargy.
    Started reading newbies FAQ. -thanks
    Just gave 1 unit of Lantus. Will moniter carefully. She was very perky & normal vocal.

6. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB :mrgreen:

As Cindy said-do you have any numbers you can share?
    Be really good to get a +5 or 6 test. This is usually the lowest number in the cycle.
    1u is a good starting point and usually advocated by this board.

The 468-could be a higher than usual reading because of vet stress.

Fancy Feast is way better than DM-Well done Missy :mrgreen:

The being tired 1/2 hour after shot could just be her food settling if your feeding (as you should) at shot time. It's if she continues to be lethargic that's when I would be concerned.

Not sure about the litterbox. Keep an eye on her and if keeps happening maybe a visit to the vet might be best.

Getting some keto diastix would be good. Test for keytones. Good to do this till kitty's bg's are stabilised and then just occasional monitoring.

You've come to the right place. Please keep asking q's for anything you don't know/understand or are unsure of.

Attached Files:

7. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

The vet already took urine and you'll get the results tomorrow? Just asking since UTIs can be painful and would require antibiotics.

You're going great so far, you have a very lucky kitty :mrgreen:

8. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Dave and welcome to the group
    You are in the right place to take care of Missy.
    Here are a few links that will help you.
    One is starting to set up a spreadsheet which will keep track of her numbers.
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16

As well, here is the food info to use. We use the Low Carb (LC) Fancy Feast. Really trying to stay below 10%. Many people use Friskies, Wellness, sophisticat, EVO.

http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html

Where are you located? Just want to make sure that you are giving Missy her shots on a 12/12 schedule. Every 12 hours.
    It's great that you are hometesting!!!
    Keep reading and ask lots of questions.

9. Dave & Missy

Dave & Missy New Member

I am located noth of Toronto (Canada).
    Took a week of work to try to change from free feed to schedule.
    Work hours do not allow for 12/12 & I am a wreck beacuse of this. Best I can do is 13-1/2 hours & 10-1/2 hours.
    This would leave time for shot & good luck -gotta go. Not a very pleasing option
    Urine test tommorrow. Hope there are more answers.

10. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hi Dave,
    I am right downtown Toronto so I am close by! I am thinking you can get some good suggestions on your modified 12/12 plan if you put something in your subject line to catch the eyes of others who have the same issue. I would imagine that any person who works 12hr shift work will have a problem with the 12/12 shot schedule. Unfortunately I don't have that problem so I can't suggest the best way to set your plan.

Like Randi suggested, putting a spreadsheet together will be a great help to you to track Missy's number and also to show others so that they can help in guiding you.

if you look at Binky's food list, you will find a huge variety of foods that are good to feed Missy. One thing to know is that you will get better numbers by feeding low carb, as was mentioned, but you should also be sure to have a few cans of high carb for any times that Missy may go too low.

Sticking with the 1u dose is good so she can get settled. Then once she has changed over to the low carb foods, you will see better numbers and can then decide if her dose is OK to stay as is or if needing to adjust.

11. Dave & Missy

Dave & Missy New Member

Thanks to all for responses

Missy has been on Fancy Feast (many varieties) but I have used info here to find the lo-carb varieties & have adjusted.I have stopped all dry food intake.
    She had here 1st shot today & 1/2 hour later went to litter box (both ways) & her belly & rear sides & head have heated up but I just checked again & temps have all subsided. (my blood in now leaving head too!)

Vet has advised that with high numbers & low Lantus insulin units she will not have a propbem to start & we will review & adjust dosage after 1st curve (most likely next weekend). But I wanted to see where we are so I have been checking as we go along.

I have been checking a lot of posted & referred info. Cats ( I believe) are supposed to be prone to tooth decay. Dry food has a cleaning effect on teeth so how is this addressed on full time wet food.

I have 2 cats (sister Spooky) who is mainly dry ( I am switching here to wet also) & Missy who has been mainly wet. Spooky has clean teeth where Missy is stained.I have not any discussion on this area.

Thank you

12. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Well, hopefully the racing out of the litter box means she is feeling a bit better.

My Tommy does that after a big job in the box.

Just charges out of there and races down the hall....gotta get away from THAT !!!

13. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Just to comment on the dry food vs wet being good for clean teeth, see this link for info on the opposite being true. See Dr. Lisa link for more info.
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11735&p=116827&hilit=dry+food+clean+teeth#p116827

You want to go with the wet food and even raw; I tried some pieces of raw chicken breast for Oliver and he LOVES to gnaw on the pieces, so that's his new treats: raw chicken.

And just one bad tooth can make a HUGE difference in the numbers.
    My Shadoe had a cleaning and one bad molar pulled, and her numbers greatly improved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.