Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rachel M Hayes, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachel M Hayes

Rachel M Hayes New Member

Hello ,
    I have a 4 year old girl cat named misty , she was recently diagnosed last Thursday and has been in the icu. She had diabetes acidosis,they were able to get rid of the keytones . She also has jaundice, and fatty liver disease . She will not eat so they had to insert a feeding tube in her neck , she will go home with it and i will have to feed her threw the tube. I'm very new to this and would be happy to receive information. I also started a go fund me account since her bill has already reached over 5 k. Before she got extremely sick she was a happy loving cat but now she seems depressed and not motivated I'm hoping that after the treatment and once she comes home she can go back to being the fiesty sweet cat she is .
    [Link to fundraiser removed by Moderator.]
    I'd very much appreciate it if you guys could spread the word.

_Any and all fundraising efforts by or for individuals or groups must be approved by our Administrator, Robert and Echo, prior to posting on the FDMB. If Robert approves posting the link to the fundraiser, please feel free to add it back to this post.
    Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2016
    Reason for edit: self-explanatory
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome sorry what Misty had to go through.
    You should join this group for information on tube feeding

Is the tube one that goes in through a hole in the side of throat? That is called an E-tube (ESOPHAGEAL FEEDING TUBE). There is also a feeding tube that goes through a hole in abdominal wall and is called a
    Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) feeding tube

3. Rachel M Hayes

Yes , it's the E-tube . Thank you joining now!

4. Rachel M Hayes

Kind of a dumb question but I can't seem to find the group you mentioned

5. Johndooley

Johndooley Member

Sorry to hear this.. We too are going through some of this . This group has been wonderful and very supportive to us . I will also say good luck , it sounds worse than it really is , when it comes to the feeding tube. We , thank God , have not had to go that route yet, but we are going for tests on Thursday , to find out weather we will also need tube. It is very rough , when your baby doesn't act, or seem like the same version he/she was before getting sick , trust me, we ALL KNOW how that feels. Thoughts and prayers to you and yours ...Hope it turns out perfect!

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

7. Rachel M Hayes

Thank you, at first we didn't think she was going to make it , we brought her in because she wasn't moving or eating and basically we had 2 choices to put her down or to go on with testing , but her chances were very low she was very near death , they said she wouldn't make it threw the night if they didn't start on her right away . We wanted to keep her alive of course but then money became a problem the bill reached 5400 in just 6 days . So far she is stable and she should be going home today , but they have warned us that she will need very specific care . I learned how to test the blood , and today they will teach me how to give insulin. It'll take some time to get used to,but so far things are looking good

8. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I will keep her in my prayers. Giving insulin is easier then testing. I'm sure you will do well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.