Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stacee, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacee

Stacee New Member

My 8 year old, female kitty Gingey was diagnosed last week. Over the weekend we had glucose curve test done at veterinary clinic. Doctor recommended food change/feeding schedule. Slowly changing food from all dry to wet. Scheduling is proving a bit frustrating because she was a free feeder who grazed through out the day. 12hr schedule is making her really "meowy" she is currently on Novolin 1.5 units every 12 hours. She is improving greatly. Able to jump on the bed and counter again. Waiting for home glucose meter to be delivered. I feel really uncomfortable administering insulin without checking levels first. Probably stems from having diabetic humans in my life. I think we will be ok just a lot to learn and get used to. Excessive thirst is gone, litter box isn't flooded with urine. I look forward to reading and Leary as much as I can from this site to help my little furbaby.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome Stacee and Gingey! What a sweet (!) little girl! :) You're absolutely right in wanting to test before giving insulin. All wet food is best and low carb is the way to go with that. Grocery store brands like Friskies and Fancy Feast pates are fine but no sauce/gravy types because they're high in carbs. It's wise to keep a can or two of those on hand, though, in case Gingey's blood glucose drops too low.

Please repost on the main health forum where more people will see it. Ask any/all questions you have. We're here to help!

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.