Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Haley & Franky, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haley & Franky

Haley & Franky New Member

My 13 year old kitty was diagnosed a week ago with feline diabetes. I was feeding her the w/d prescription food at first. Then I read posts on here and I started feeding her the Fancy Feast Classics on Thursday. I checked her sugar this morning and it was 166!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    - Are you giving insulin now? If so which insulin?
    Good insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    - It is good that you are home testing BG. Are you using a human meter or a pet meter like the AlphaTrak? Most of us here test our cat's blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

For specific question please post in the Health forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

3. Haley & Franky

She is on NPH insulin 2units twice a day. I use a human meter to check her glucose. She seems to be doing pretty good so far.

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Glad you're home testing, that's the best way to keep kitty safe. 166 is a pretty good number. Was that before you fed? Did you give her a shot? Usually we don't shoot if the preshot number is below 200. Have you gotten any more tests?

5. Haley & Franky

That was before I fed her or gave her anything. I just checked her again and she was 170.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

When the preshots are that low you are going to want to either skip the dose or greatly reduce it. (Like 0.25-0.5 units) Is it a human or pet meter?

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. Haley & Franky

I haven't given her anything, it's a human meter.

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Good.

If you can set up a signature it will give us valuable information. Click on your name at the top right corner and choose signature. Add info such as date diagnosed, insulin, food, and any other health concerns. Then save.

9. Sharon14

How often are you testing? You should always test before the shot, then try to get a few mid cycle numbers when possible. Have you run a curve (test every two hours)? That way we can see when her nadir (lowest point) is. It's possible the switch to low carb food has lowered her numbers significantly and she'll need a lower dose.

10. Haley & Franky

No i haven't done a curve yet. I tested her twice today, I'm assuming the switch to food is what has helped lower her glucose. On Tuesday, her glucose was 395 at the vet but she was also eating the w/d prescription food then too. I've tested her twice today.

11. Sharon14

She's so cute!!! Is she Haley or are you?

12. Haley & Franky

Her name is Franky!

13. Sharon14

Well, welcome Haley and sweet Franky!

14. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Haley and Franky! Nice number with the food switch. As Sharon said you want to test at least twice a day for Pre -shot tests (take about 30 minutes before shot time). Make sure she has not eaten anything for 2 hours prior so the number is not food influenced. Although even if that 166 was food influenced, it's a great number! Ask any questions you may have on the Main Health Forum :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.