Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amélie, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amélie

Amélie New Member

Hello,

My cat (Tewksbury) was just diagnosed with diabetes. He's thirteen next month..indoor kitty. My vet told me to start him on 3U's twice a day.

First day today- gave him 2U's because he didn't eat much this morning. Blood levels every two hours;

8am- 21.0 before eating- gave him his food and insulin
    10am- 16.0
    12pm- 8.7
    2pm- 8.1
    4pm- 5.7
    6pm- 4.6 ( getting anxious cause of the drastic drop so I gave him 3 Treats and dried salmon)
    8pm- 6.1

I opted not to give him insulin tonight because his sugar levels are still pretty low. My nerves are high.. Blood testing my boy every two hours.. His ears must be sensitive( putting pure Aloe Vera on his ears after the shots to help with any sensitivity).

I'm on the fence on whether I made the right choice but because of today's results- I don't need Tewks going into a hypoglycaemic crisis.

Hoping someone will concur?

Checking his levels again in the am to determine what my next step will be.. If he's back up then I will call the vet- confirm maybe 1U instead. I'm sure it will be less stressful when I'm not poking him every two hours!

Not happy he has the beetus but thankful and happy that I found this forum!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! What kind of insulin are you giving him? 3 units is a high starting dose. It is a good thing you decided not to give him that much. 1 unit is normally the startng point.

You can post your questions on the main health forum, and you will get more responses there.

3. Amélie

Amélie New Member

Hi..thanks for the info.

I'm giving him Glargine insulin (prescription from vet- in Canada). He was back up to 21 this morning. I only gave him one unit..just checked his BG level and he is currently at 12.6. I anticipate his levels decreasing further (if it's anything like yesterday). I'm more relaxed then yesterday and will continue with the one unit if all goes as planned. :)

4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

That is some nice numbers on that dose and I wouldn't be surprised if he bounces into some higher numbers today.

I would start with one unit and hold that for a week unless he drops below 2.7 on your meter if it is a human one. If it is a pet meter than 3.8. If you want to come over to the Lantus forum, there are plenty of peeps that can help you out.

For those ears.. some polysporin complete will help them heal up and has a pain relief agent. Helps bead up the blood on the ear as well.

[​IMG]

5. Amélie

Amélie New Member

Thank you Tracey and Jones. Copied over to Lantus Forum. Polysporin- should've thought of that! Thanks for the tip!

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I answered on the main health forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.