Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by stormy, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormy

stormy New Member

Fairly new here. Am I on the Lantus Forum? I posted on the regular, but someone suggested since he is on Lantus I post on that forum. Our kitty Stormy was diagnosed about 3-weeks ago when he went into Kedisiosous. Vet started him on 1.5 units. We did that for about 10 days but his levels were still high. 290 was the lowest, averaging mostly 300 to high 400's. He also had a very bloated tummy and seemed sensitive. He also threw up an entire paper towel he ate, as he is so hungry. So we took him for an xray as worried about blockage, which lead to an ultrasound. Kidneys and all are good but he has a lot of gas/acid built up. They changed his does to 3 units, kept him overnight and he had the lowest numbers since with the low at 5.0...going to 8 a couple hours later and then capping at 15. We brought him home and two days later decided to spot check his BG (doing a full curve in 3 days). He was at 585. It was probably to soon after he ate, just over an hour. Tried again 2 hours later and it was 560. Did this morning pre-insulin and it was 535. How could it be so high after increasing his does, and his levels were so great at the vet. Could we maybe not be injecting him properly? We do the scruff of the neck and make the tent fold. He is also on an antacid for his tummy (Famotidine) and Burpenorphine for his pain. I'm really worried about the high numbers again.

2. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Welcome to the Lantus Forum. Your last post is here.

We like to link to the last post for continuity. I see you already have been given some good advice. Most important, feed low carb mini meals through the day. No food 2 hours before pre-shot testing. The sticky notes at the top of the forum have lots of good information re: how lantus works. It would also be very helpful to have a spreadsheet with test results. Most here are very data driven, and the spreadsheet will help both you and us.

With DKA in the picture, it will also be important to learn to test for ketones. I know there is a lot to learn. Please know everyone here was "new" once, so we all want to help you and stormy. Please continue to ask questions.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  3. stormy

stormy New Member

I will look at getting some test strips for keytones. It is a bit stressful as so many symptoms are contradicting, some symtoms of being too high could also be too low. Rebound etc. I've been reading mixed reviews on the food schedule. Some say stick to a morning and evening feeding at the same time as the injection. Others say it is okay to give them a smaller meal in between. So much to learn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.