Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Maranda, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maranda

Maranda New Member

My cat was just diagnosed on Friday. His blood sugar is in the 500’s and he is on 5 units every 12 hours. Does it take awhile to get the dose right? Also is the Hills prescription diet good for him? I’m am really stressed out. He has FIV as well

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Omg please stop that dose immediately. Way way way too high of a starting dose. The recommended starting dose is 1 unit twice a day. Most cats m never need more than 3 units. Please lower esp since you probably haven't perfected home testing yet.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! So glad you found us.
    I agree. 5 units starting dose is far too much. Reduce to 1 unit twice a day.
    What type of insulin are you giving?

I would recommend you think about home testing. We can help you. All you need is a human glucose meter, strips to test with and lancets guage 26 or 28. And some cotton balls to hold behind the ear. You can buy a ReliOn meter from Walmart.
    We will help you get started.

Hills prescription food is not necessary. Hills dry is high carb.
    BUT DO NOT SWAP TO A LOW CARB DIET UNTIL YOU ARE TESTING THE BLOOD GLUCOSE. It will drop the blood glucose levels swapping to low carb food... which is good... but you need to be testing the blood glucose to keep you cat safe. Otherwise you are risking a hypo ( as you are with giving 5 units)

Here is a link to many useful links you will need.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216696/

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Double checking with @Maranda
    Was that dose 5 units or 0.5 units?

Big difference.
    Please let us know.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

And follow ups to Deb's question, is your cat eating kibble or Hill's canned food? There's a big difference in the carbs. And most importantly, what insulin are you using?

6. Maranda

Maranda New Member

He stayed with vet for 5 days and that was the only dose that pulled it down out of the 500’s

7. Maranda

Maranda New Member

Hi thanks for the info. He spent 5 days with the vet and that was the only dose that would pull it down. I am monitoring at home. His last reading was 437 so that makes me stress a little less.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Would you be able to set up a spreadsheet? The instructions are in the link I sent you above. You can then put in all the BGs you have collected and we can help You with changing over to a low carb diet and help with dosing.
    There is also a link within the link I sent you to set up your signature which will appear below all your posts with info about your kitty. It will stop us having to keep asking you for info. Thanks.
    Is the Hills you are feeding canned or dry?

Also please tell us what type of insulin you are giving. Thanks.

9. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Hi and welcome! Your situation sounds nearly identical to mine. I know it can be VERY overwhelming to come here and have people you don’t know on the internet tell you that what your vet has said is wrong. I felt the same way the first time I visited this forum, so I left and just listened to my vet’s advice and to this day, I still wish I hadn’t.

My cat was started on Hills w/d dry food, which is extremely high in carbs, and 6 units of insulin 2x a day, which was determined by curves done at the vet over the course of a week. Cats are very, very stressed at the vet, which causes them to have much higher blood sugar than they would at home. The high carb prescription food also keeps their blood sugar high as well. These two things usually result in vets starting cats on a dose that is WAY too high. My cat was fine for a few months, but then became severely hypoglycemic and had to be hospitalized. I spent the next 8 months trying to get her regulated following the advice of multiple vets, and nothing worked, until I joined this board again.

I know it is probably overwhelming for you, and ultimately the decision is yours, but the advice on this board is so much safer, and it wouldn’t have taken over a year to get my cat regulated (plus nearly losing her) if I would have stuck with this board from the beginning.

10. Maranda

Maranda New Member

Yes, I will look into that tomorrow. We are feeding him canned food. He had to have some teeth pulled and can’t chew dry food well. He is on Novalin

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks for information.
    Canned food. Low carb is best for diabetics.
    Novolin is a fast acting insulin. Please make sure your kitty eats very well BEFORE you give the insulin and you wait 1 hour after the food before giving the Novolin.
    Are you offering food during the cycle as well?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Reason for edit: Changed time
  12. Deb & Wink

60 minutes after the food when using the NPH insulins like Novolin N.

Some info from the Beginner's Guide To Novolin/Humulin/NPH
    STARTING DOSE - N/NPH
    Usually it’s best to start with no more than 1 unit of insulin, twice a day. Post on the forum for advice specific to your own situation.

• It's a good idea to feed your cat an hour before giving insulin. This is to ensure there is food in the cat’s system for when the insulin starts to work, and to help ensure that the BG doesn’t drop too fast or too low. Not all cats will experience a fast BG drop with N/NPH, but until your testing data shows otherwise, it is wise to assume that this may be the case with your cat.
    • The sequence should be: 1. Test BG. 2. Feed. 3. Wait for an hour. 4. Give the shot.
    • If your cat is known to sometimes regurgitate her food, waiting that hour will also give some assurance that she is likely to keep her food down.

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks Deb. I’ll change it so no confusion.

14. Maranda

Maranda New Member

Yes I feed him 30 minutes before but have only been feeding him 2 times a day. Should I be feeding him more often?

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Here is the link to Novolin insulin and how to use it. Please read carefully. They recommend you feed 1 hour before the insulin is due because it hits fast.
    I would also give food during the first half of the cycle at say +2 ( that is 2 hours after the insulin is given) and +4 ( 4 hours after the insulin is given). This helps him from dropping too low.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/beginners-guide-to-novolin-humulin-nph.186097/

16. Maranda

Maranda New Member

Thank you so much. This is worrisome trying to figure things out. I just want me baby well

17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Of course you want him well.
    When you go back to the vet you might ask him about swapping to Lantus or levemir insulin. They are both longer acting, more gentle insulin that are far more suitable for cats than Novolin.
    We can help you get your kitty into better numbers. Getting the SS and signature is the first step. It us great you are monitoring at home. Can you tell us what type of meter you are using.
    Are you testing during the cycles as well as before giving the insulin?
    Keep asking questions

18. Maranda

Maranda New Member

I will work on that tomorrow. I am using the alpha track 2. Thank you for all of the help

JanetNJ and Bron and Sheba (GA) like this.
  19. Maranda

Maranda New Member

What should the dose be? My vet said the sugars did not budge with the other doses. Should I get a second opinion?

20. Maranda

Maranda New Member

What should I give him? Do I need to get a second opinion. The vet said he his sugar level would not go down until the 5 units

21. Deb & Wink

Did you test your cat's blood glucose level this morning?
    If so, please tell us the blood glucose reading you got this morning.
    You told us you have the Alphatrak 2.

Yes, I think you need a second opinion.
    With a vet that has more experience with feline diabetes.

These 2 articles are guidelines for veterinarians to use when treating diabetes in pets.
    (2018) AAHA Diabetes Management Guidelines for Dogs and Cats
    (2015) ISFM Consensus Guidelines on the Practical Management of Diabetes Mellitus in Cats

You may want to share them with your vet.

22. Maranda

Maranda New Member

His reading was 457 this am. I am going to make an appointment with another vet and get a second opinion.

JanetNJ likes this.
  23. Deb & Wink

Was that 457 blood glucose reading this morning 2/13/20 before you gave him the insulin?

24. Maranda

Maranda New Member

Yes and 1 hour after feeding

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.