newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by maryandwinston, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maryandwinston

maryandwinston New Member

I am so glad to find this website. My beautiful cat, Winston, and I just found out he has diabetes. He is scheduled tomorrow for the evaluation to start insulin and I have cried all day. I am so scared I won't be able to do this. My husband is even more of a chicken than I am. This is the most precious cat I have ever known and he has such a sweet spirit. I can't believe he has this horrible disease. I pray I can help him.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Mary and Winston. First job, breathe....We were all, everyone one of us, terrified and overwhelmed when we first got the diagnosis. But really, diabetes is one of the better diseases for a cat to have. It is very treatable, at home, and many cats here go into remission, no longer needing insulin.

Your job is to learn about it. It is a steep learning curve - there is lots of information. But we all had or have a diabetic cat and the treatment this site advocates works. Three components: diet (wet lo carb food (see this website for info: htttp://www.catinfo.org), insulin ( we urge you to urge your vet to start low and go slow - usually 1 unit twice a day to start) and hometesting. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8 )

Start reading and printing out the info so you can reread. Ask lots of questions. This is very doable and there are lots of people here eager to help.

3. Michelle and Jasper

Michelle and Jasper New Member

I read Mary and Winston's story and felt like I was reading my own. I took my 13 yr old cat, Jasper, to the vet today and found out he is diabetic as well. Tearfully, I left him there for further monitering and testing, and he will be starting insulin also. I feel completely overwhelmed by the information I've read while trying to "educate" myself. Jasper has had pancreatitus and a food sensitivity, which has been controlled with food and medication since October, but I am wondering how it will affect his diabetes treatment. I worry about the injections, and also have a chicken husband that probably will not help me. I wish I could offer some words or advice to Mary, but I am in the same boat...scared, emotional, and worried about a cat that I love as much as my family. I take some comfort in knowing someone else has started this journey at the same time and wish Mary and Winston the very best of outcomes.

4. maryandwinston

maryandwinston New Member

Thanks Sue for your encouraging words. I am trying to get all the information I can so I know what to ask the doc.

Michelle, it will be good to go through this together. We can keep each other posted and encourage each other. Take care as we wade into these unfamiliar waters. I am so thankful for this website and a caring, compassionate vet.

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Michelle,

It would be good if you would start a New Topic for you and Jasper. Since you have the pancreatitis issue also, it will attract others who deal with that and diabetes at the same time (There are a number of people here who do.)

As I told Mary, print off everything you read. You just can't absorb it in one reading; it is good if you can go back and reread to understand better. And if it is handy, you can refer to it anytime you need to. I put every sheet in a 3 ring binder and it got worn out from use.

It is always a safe bet to start with the FAQ's: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/faq.html

6. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Hi Guys,
    Did either of you two newbies have a fructosamine test done?
    The first vet I brought Sweety to said she had diabetes and wanted to start insulin, but I had been here and learned a few things...asked for the test and she came back borderline. If I had blindly listend to the vet, we would have started insulin. I was terrified of hypo, so I declined insulin, got the meter, urine ketone test stips and in two weeks, the diet change had worked.
    Turned out all she needed was a diet change and we avoided the insulin. So far - it's been 2 - 1/2 years.

But you guys are in the right place to learn everything you can about feline diabetes. Read absolutley everything in the health links.

Welcome - there are a lot of smart, caring people to help you. There are no dumb questions so ask ANY you have.

7. JeanK

JeanK Member

Greetings, Mary and Winston! When my Blaze was diagnosed at the beginning of March, I had a similar reaction to yours. But let me assure you that love (and knowledge) will give you strength and will, and you'll find that you and your husband can indeed do it. The vet taught me how to give a shot, and this board taught me how to do blood glucose testing and even sent me a starter kit. Glucose testing took me a few weeks to master -- on a cat who has a tendency to haul off and bite when he's scared -- but he has been the soul of patience, and practice makes it all ordinary. I thought by now Blaze would be hiding from me when he sees he kit or the syringe, but when I call him ("C'mon, time for your test / shot, babe!"), he comes and sits between my knees. It's a big adjustment, for sure; his levels still aren't where I'd like to see them, and I'd kill to get a couple of pounds back on him; but the shots, the testing, the food, the scheduling are all just part of our life now. This is a good place, with good people and abundant resources. Take a breath, drink a glass of water, learn all you can, and as the angels say, do not be afraid.

Peace and big hugs,
    Jean and Blaze

8. Michelle and Jasper

Michelle and Jasper New Member

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and advice. I like the idea of making a binder for me to reference. I will also start a topic about the pancreatitus, thanks for the tip. Jasper had a urine and blood test that led the vet to make her diagnosis, along with my description of his symptoms. Would that have been the fructosamine test, or is that something different? Mary, I sent you a private message, hope thats okay with you.
    Still trying to absorb the diagnosis, but like Jean and the angels say, I will try not to be afraid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.