Newly diagnosis Cat already in remission

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by trebleclef75, May 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trebleclef75

trebleclef75 New Member

I acquired Noel, a 15 pound orange tabby from my mother when he was diagnosed with diabetes around Christmas. She was not able to physically or financially take care of him as well as I could, and I had just recently lost my senior cat so I was able to help. He had lived in my household once before when he was younger and about ate me out of house and home- now it makes sense. When I bought him to live with me he was on 3 units of vetsulin twice a day and eating half wet half dry diet of the "prescription" vet food. I did a lot of research and came across a food by a company called Young Again. Has anyone else heard of? Their claim to fame is that it is Zero carb dry cat food with just the right amounts of protein and nutrients and added moisture to help like a can diet. I also bought an at home glucose testing kit from Amazon made specifically for pets called Pettest by Advocate. I had read that human testing kits can be off and not as reliable and being an online deal this kit was very reasonable and came with everything you need in a nice little case. After putting him strictly on the new food with an automatic timer and closely monitoring him, within ONE WEEK he no longer needed regular insulin shots! I couldn't believe it myself but took him to the vet for a full day glucose curve and they confirmed- I left the food info with them to pass info on. He has always been a hoarder and acted starved no matter how much food got- their website says you have to give it freely meaning leave the bowl full and they will only eat what's needed- again, I was skelptical because that was not his way- but after a few days the automatic timer which was a quarter cup twice a day was leaving his bowl full- he was not eating it all and even walking away and coming back frequently but little bites at a time- just what they said he would. Every once in a while he will get into my dogs food or our food that has fallen on floor or whatever, and if after his sugar is a little high I have given him a small amount of insulin to compensate- so I still have it handy just in case, but as of 2 months now he has only had a few shots- so I would consider that remission. This may not work for everyone, but I thought worth sharing.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Congrats on having a diet controlled diabetic kitty! Minus occasional contraband ;). Quite a few of us advocate Young Again Zero. Nice to hear another success story with it!

trebleclef75 likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

so glad you had success with young again! I credit it with helping my cat into remission as well. Not quite as fast as your kitty, but about 4 weeks after starting the food. That was kind of you to help your mom and give this cat a chance. :)

trebleclef75 likes this.
  4. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

congrats!!

5. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Is that true about young again? How it helps like a canned diet? We are trying so hard to transition my bfs cat to wet food but he won't. :( would young again be better for him than evo?

6. JanetNJ

Young again zero is only 1% carb. Evo is 8-12%. I actually have both kinds available, but when I was getting cc off the insulin young again was the one I had out in addition to wet food twice a day. You can ask them for a free sample and see if your cat likes it.

Cherish Gallagher likes this.
  7. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Is it good for non diabetics ?

8. JanetNJ

Yes

Cherish Gallagher likes this.
  9. Zoey & Carol

Zoey & Carol Member

I have a diabetic cat, Zoey, and a non diabetic Maine Coon cat, Marley. Zoey transitioned well to wet food, but the problem was that she would sneak Marley's dry food occasionally, and her BG levels would skyrocket! I started mixing Young Again dry food with Marley's favorite food, Blue Buffalo, slowly. At first he had diarrhea, but it cleared up, and I gradually increased the Young Again to half. He doesn't eat nearly as much as he did with only Blue Buffalo, which is great since Young Again is quite expensive (and he's a big boy at 20#). I figured that would be better for him, and also better for Zoey when she manages to sneak some. I'm a Young Again advocate!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.