Newly OTJ -New medication affecting blood glucose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by phlika29, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

Remi officially had his OTJ party on the 24th December this year and on that day started a new medication for his acid reflux/oesophagitis. The choice was either cisapride or metoclopramide . From what small amount of information I can find both contain lactose along with a multitude of other ingredients. The vet decided the try the cisapride to begin with and so yesterday evening was his first dose. I am struggling to find the exact ingredients of the cisapride but have been concerned about the effect on blood glucose.

Since being OTJ remi has run between 85 to the 90s. With one 101. This morning he was 93 but tonight he was 99 and I just retested him three hours after he ate and he was 103. Why has this number not gone down? Does it mean his pancreas isn't working?

Should I a) continue to go into meltdown and feel all my hard work is ruined or b) continue to monitor remi for the next few days and try not to panic. C) do something else.

How long would the medication continue to affect him? Is it actually okay if he goes over the 100?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Those numbers are essentially the same. Glucometers are allowed to read +/- 20% from what a lab would get. If the numbers are less than 20% apart, they may be considered the same.
    In other words, things are fine and you can breathe.
    See my signature link Glucometer Notes for more info.

3. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Thanks BJM. You are as always the voice of reason. Thankyou for your reassurance. Today remi was 85 so I guess if the tablets are affecting him it is only slightly. I am finding it an added concern having to find out and understand all the ingredients in tablets. It used to be only the active ingredient I was interested in and I find drug companies do not make it all that easy to find out.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Drug manufacturers make a prescribing insert for their meds. These do typically list the inactive ingredients such as methylcellulose to act as a filler. If you can't find it online, do ask the pharmacist, as they have beaucoup references they can look up.
    (I worked a drug abuse hotline for a good 4 years and looked up ingredients all the time!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.