? Next choice, requesting help & information please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by apple, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple

apple Member

Hi,
    I'm going to ask the vet to try another insulin. I don't understand the depot and I don't understand bouncing. My cat's numbers get higher as the insulin doses increase.
    If I'm understanding part if what I read, changing to low carb food, reducing his dex, and starting insulin (on the same day) may have given his liver panic and increased his blood glucose.

The vet seems to be doing a bit of sliding scale:
    Sunday 1u 2xdaily
    Monday 1.5u 2xdaily
    Tuesday 2u 2xdaily

Maybe an insulin match.

What other insulins have you used?

*this is crossposted to get more help* (also in Lantus)

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

It looks like your vet increased your cats dose too quickly. It takes a few days for the depot to stabilize, so when you start, usually at 1u twice/day, you need to stay at that dose(unless he goes too low) for a week. After that you can change the dose by .25 every 3-7 days depending on how often you test. It may be that your cat is bouncing. Lantus is a really good insulin, I suggest you set up a spreadsheet and start over at 1u BID, let the depot stabilize and get dosing help from the folks in the Lantus Forum. While doing this, I also suggest you test for ketones since you'll be lowering his dose.

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I don't use Lantus but I have heard when starting you need to give a few days for the depot to "build up", and like Sharon said to stabilize. I don't think there is a sliding scale with Lantus, or at least not one that is recommended. Lantus is one of the preferred insulins for FD. It is not a magic medicine that works quickly, insulin is a hormone that a newly diagnosed kitty body may not recognize immediately. We have to remind ourselves this is a marathon, not a sprint . Complimentary patient pants are handed out :bighug:

Not trying to be rude but just because you don't understand the depot or bouncing does not mean switch insulins. The problem isn't going to change if you switch. You will need to learn about any insulin you use. Bouncing can occur on ANY insulin. The Lantus group is very big and very active, just ask them questions. They will help you understand, if you will listen :)

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I used ProZinc when I had my sugar baby. It's a good insulin, but so is Lantus. I read over your thread in the Lantus forum and it looks like you want an insulin that will allow you to follow a set protocol: if the number is this, shoot this. That's what Lantus does. Prozinc doesn't have any set guidelines like that.

I really think the problem is that your dose was raised too quickly and you haven't given it a good try yet. I'd definitely stick with it for now as it really does have a set dosing guideline and should make it fairly easy to follow. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.