? Next step in regulating Griffin

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Griffin's Mom, Oct 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Griffin's Mom

Griffin's Mom Member

Morning Everyone (@Alexi, @MrWorfMen's Mom @Kris & Teasel)

Griffin has finished his first week on a completely wet food diet. I have maintained giving him two shot a day 1u each and monitoring his BG when I can (always testing prior to giving shot).

He is pretty use to the new magic box that delivers food when I am away ( he will sometimes sit infant of it for hours, trying to will it to open) I use it exclusively for his 10am&pm / 3pm/am feedings even if I am home.
    He begs and stocks the humans less during the day now and we can even be in the kitchen without him getting sassy and dramatically explaining how he is starving to death.

I did an every two hour curve yesterday and an every 3 hour curve last night. (then crashed for a few hours before post. I try to collect as much data as I can on these days as I am so limited in testing through out the week. Numbers are all up to date in his SS.

Looking to discuss the next steps in this journey and what you guys see when you look at his numbers?

Thank You as always for the wisdom you freely share.
    Moe

Oksana likes this.
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Thrilled to hear Griffin is getting used to his magic box and being less of a nag for food! All good signs of improvement and it's important to note those little behavioural changes too as they sometimes tell us as much if not more than the numbers which can sometimes seem to have a mind of their own.

Looks to me like Griffin could use a little more juice. I'd see what his nadir is today (not sure if he might be having a little bounce from that nice 7.8 yesterday) and whether he manages as nice a drop as he got yesterday or better. If he does better than yesterday, I'd hold the dose for another day or so as some cats take longer than others to clear the dry carbs from the system and level out. If he is the same or higher mid cycle today, I'd be inclined to up his dose to 1.25u and monitor the mid cycle closely.

Hopefully someone else will chime in and offer their opinion.

3. Alexi

Alexi Member

I wonder if it might be worth adjusting the food schedule. He looks to have nadir around +4, and at +8 just as his numbers are on the rise again he gets a snack. So breakfast, +3 snack, dinner, +3 snack might help in managing the numbers falling too fast to nadir enabling a slightly higher dose, whilst trying to avoid food just at the point the insulin is starting to wear off. If he need to go up then 1.25 units would be the next step.

The change in behaviour is one sign he is starting to get regulated, not quite there yet but a positive sign.

Oksana and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  4. Griffin's Mom

Griffin's Mom Member

his GB today at 12:30 (+5.5) was 17.6

Oksana likes this.
  5. Griffin's Mom

Griffin's Mom Member

Alexi - Just want to see if I understand you suggestion clearly. You are thinking I should remove the second snack all together as this could be cause his BG to raise quicker and higher as he getting carbs as his insulin is wearing off?

If I do remove that snack should I add that amount of food to his earlier snack? right now he gets 3/8th of a can for breakfast, 2/8th at first snack and 1/8th at second snack.

6. Griffin's Mom

Griffin's Mom Member

I worry that getting rid of his second snack will turn him into a stalker again - could moving the second snack +6 have the same effect ?

7. Alexi

Alexi Member

My cat still stalks even though she is regulated, but not as bad as one of my other cats. You would still be giving the same amount of food in a 24 hour period and could adjust the amount fed. So, 4/8 can at breakfast and only the first snack with the 2/8 can to help manage the drop in glucose at +3 and stop too much of a rise to PMPS. I think you could experiment to see what gets the best results for you, whether upping his dose now or changing the feeding regime first - but one change at a time so you are sure you can identify what change helps. His numbers are pretty good for this stage so your choice as to what you want to try next.

Oksana likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.