Nice curve and then...surprise!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Airway, Feb 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airway

Airway Member

Orion gave me a beautiful curve yesterday and then surprised me with his preshot this morning so I withheld insulin. Should I check him before his evening preshot test or is it ok to wait until then?

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Whoo Hoo. If you wait 2 hours (assuming he had breakfast) how much would that mess you up going forward? (Your schedule would be off by 2 hours). My concern would be that he will be high by pmps and you will have lost momentum...

3. Airway

Airway Member

He just had breakfast. I could check him in 2 hours but if I shoot then I would need to give him his evening dose about 10 hours later rather than 12. I'll be asleep at the 12 hour mark.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That might not be wise. Could you push it till +11 and be sure he is rising?

The other possibly for next time is to not feed, give it a while to get up to a reasonable number and then give a chicken &$@*# dose. (A reasonable number for me would be at least 150+)

5. Airway

Airway Member

I can probably do +11 and then it would be +11 again in the morning because I'd have to shoot before I leave for work.

Sue and Oliver (GA) likes this.
  6. Airway

Airway Member

It's been 2 hours and he's at 151.

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Looking good so far. Hopefully he won't be too high by +11

8. Airway

Airway Member

Not too terrible. 368 which is about normal for him for a preshot.

9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Not bad at all!

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I like those blues!

11. Airway

Airway Member

Another interesting preshot this morning! I guess Orion made a deal with his pancreas to get him out of his morning shots. Will be interesting to see where he's at when I get home from work. o_O

12. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

He's on a mission!

13. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The new vial made a huge difference. What about reducing the shot for pmps and see if the amps is shootable? My thinking is that two shots a day in a lower range would be better for him.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  14. Airway

Airway Member

I could try that. Maybe 2.5u?

15. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That sounds good.

16. Airway

Airway Member

It's been a few more days. What do you make of these numbers? o_O

17. Sue and Oliver (GA)

See what your pmps looks like. Skipping doses is the least desirable choice as it sets you up for a high number 24 hours later. Better to have two shootable numbers every 12 hours. Your red this am can be 24 hours without a shot and a bounce from yesterday's cycle.

If you get a number like the 177 again, wait 20 minutes without feeding and retest. If it is rising and near or over 200, you can shoot a smaller dose than usual instead of skipping. And then, going forward, lower the dose overall by 0.25 or .5 and see if the pre shots are shootable and closer in range to each other. Make sense?

Airway and Kris & Teasel like this.
  18. Airway

Airway Member

Ok, so when I gave the 2u for the 258 it sounds like I did the right thing. The vet has told me not to shoot anything under 180. What do you usually recommend?

19. Sue and Oliver (GA)

180 and rising could be okay with a little lower dose the first time, IF you can monitor - get in an early test to be sure there is no a early drop and then midcycle. Once you give a dose in that range and have some data moving forward, you will feel safer doing it.

Airway likes this.
  20. Airway

Airway Member

If I'm unable to monitor am I better off skipping the shot or giving a lower dose?

21. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You shot at lower numbers in Sept/Oct and he did okay. It might make you feel better if you did it on a cycle you could get a few tests. But, you always have the option of waiting 20 or even 40 minutes to see if it rises. With ProZinc, that wouldn't mess you up going forward..

Airway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.