Nicky

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Dave, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave

Dave New Member

Hello,
    Nicky was diagnosed with diabetes in early Feb. As per the vet we started her on Purina DM but discontinued this soon after seeing how Nicky reacted to the food and learning about better alternatives on this site. We now have her on a strict diet of Evo wet and dry food which she enjoys and seems to tolerate well. I (we) have not been home testing Nicky's BG levels and recently am beginning to understand the necessity and importance of doing this. Nicky has been bad lately and we need to get her back on track fast. How/where can I learn what I need to know so I can manage Nicky's illness properly and let her live as normal a life as possible? I appreciate any information.

Thank you,
    Dave

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hi Dave,
    You are correct; home testing is the only way to know how your Nicky is doing. Without testing, she could be very low, or she could be very high and both are harmful for her.

I know you have posted once before asking for info on food, but I can't find any info on what insulin you are using, or where you are located. If you could let us know where you are, at least the country, and also what insulin you are giving and the dose, it will help for others to answer what questions you have.

For home testing, you can pick up any human blood glucose meter at the pharmacy, test strips, lancets as well. If in the US, many use the Relion meters as their test strips are the most economical. I am in Canada and use the Bayer contour as the Relion is not available outside of US.
    There are many videos to help you with testing; here's one bit of info:
    Testing on cat’s ear

If you are getting concerned about Nicky being too low, here are some links with info on signs and what to do:
    List of Hypo symptoms
    How to treat HYPOS-They can kill! Print this out!
    Jojo’s HYPO TOOLKIT

As you are not testing, it would be a very good idea if you were to be testing Nicky's urine for ketones:
    Ketones
    Pet Diabetes Wiki: Ketoacidosis

If you are using Vetsulin / Caninsulin, you may be better off posting in health because very few people are using these insulins, with better results happening when using Lantus, Levemir or PZI.
    No matter what insulin you are using, someone will be able to help in getting you the info you need.

ETA:

Dave, what do you mean when saying Nicky has been bad recently; what sort of problems are you see with her?

3. Dave

Dave New Member

Gayle,

Thank you so much for your reply to my post on Nicky. I live in New York City and realized today that I neglected to note the insulin I am giving Nicky. The vet prescribed Humulin N to be administered at 2 units twice a day. Two days ago we both decided to cut the dose to 1 unit twice a day. We feel that Nicky has shown modest improvement but she still seems to have swings in her condition which I feel are tied into her BG level which I have to start testing. Her behavior goes from clear eyed and moderately active to lethargic, dead eyed, seemingly distressed. I will study the links you provided on the hypo/testing. Thanks again for your concern.

Dave

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hi Dave,
    Glad you made it back to let me know which insulin.
    It's a lousy insulin and there are others that are much better like Lantus and Levemir.
    If you were home testing, you would find that N is quite harsh, pulls Nicky down to low numbers and then stops working hours before it's time for the next shot.... N does not last anywhere near 12 hours.
    Lantus and Levemir are human insulins that are far more gentle and last the full 12hours and a bit more. A great deal of cats have gone off insulin when switched to a longer lasting insulin because it helps the pancreas heal and be able to be fully functional again.
    Here's a link on the insulin you are using so that you will have info on its use:
    Humulin Primer Info

Be sure to ask any questions you may have; I'll watch for your posts.

Here's a bit of info on the various insulins:
    Duration is the length of time an insulin continues to lower blood glucose.
    The four duration categories are:
    * Rapid-acting or Fast-acting insulin begins to work shortly after injection, peaks in about 1 hour, and continue to work for 2 to 4 hours.
    * Regular or Short-acting insulin reaches the bloodstream 30 minutes to an hour after injection, peaks anywhere from 2 to 3 hours after injection, and is effective for approximately 6-8 hours.
    * Intermediate-acting insulin generally reaches the bloodstream about 1-2 hours after injection, and is effective for about 8 to 12 hours.
    * Long-acting insulin generally reaches the bloodstream about 2 to 4 hours after injection, peaks 4 to 8 hours later and is effective for about 12 to 18 hours.
    Note that an insulin that is long-acting in humans may be intermediate-acting in cats. The duration classes used here are for humans and usually match those in dogs -- their classifications in cats are somewhat shorter due to cats' faster metabolism.

Most people are using the long-acting insulins today. Most of the other types are only used by humans or in some cats with special needs (ie. high dose cats with Acro etc.) Many of the short and intermediate insulins have been done away with.
    Short acting insulins are usually designated by the letter R (Humalin R, Novalin R) they are never used alone, typically they are given as a bolus at Preshot to bring the BG down quickly in the first few hours of the cycle before the basal insulin (a long acting) begins to take effect. This is used by high dose cats with conditions like Acro or insulin resistant antibodies. It may also be used in an inpatient setting to manage a cat with ketoacidosis.

Intermediate insulins (Lente) are insulins like Vetsulin (Caninsulin) and NPH, some of the human insulins have N in thier name (Humalin N) although some vets are still prescribing them they are becoming less used. Espcially since Vetsulin has been taken off the market in many countries. The more successes with long acting insulins have encouraged many vets to avoid these once typical insulins. Many are however still used with good results in dogs with diabetes (dogs have a metabolism more like humans and these insulins work much longer for them) the animal approved insulin (Vetsulin, in Europe/Canada sold as Caninsulin) was made primarily for dogs.

Long-acting insulins are the synthetic analogs such as Lantus and Levemir. PZI and Prozinc are simular to these however thier duration is often somewhat shorter putting them "in between" intermediate and long-acting. Several other long acting insulins are no longer manufactured (Ultratard, Humalin U)

ETA:
    if you pick up a Relion meter at the pharmacy and test strips, you will be able to test her and see exactly how she is doing.
    Let's hope the meter shows you she is getting good enough numbers and you are good on the lesser dose.

5. Dave

Dave New Member

I just want to let everybody know I appreciate the concern and responses I have received on my posts about Nicky's condition. This is a great site and I am glad to have found it. Thank you everyone from Nicky and myself.

Dave

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Dave,
    you and Nicky are most welcome.
    be sure to post if you have any questions or need some help.
    I hope Nicky is doing well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.