NNewbie Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Blackjack, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackjack

Blackjack New Member

Hello everyone
    I want to make sure I have things straight. My kitty Blackjack is home from the vets and he is on .5 Lantus insulin. Now in the morning I test his sugar level first, feed and than do his injection? I test first to make sure his sugar is at a level I can give his injection correct? I than feed and when he is done eating I give his injection and test his sugar before I leave for work? What if Blackjack eats before his sugar is tested in the am? Blackjack is very hungry right now and is eating many meals. What if he eats a small meal an hour or so before injection time?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's important that he not eat for the 2 hours immediately before shot times so that when you get your Pre-shot tests, they're not influenced by food. Other than those 2 hours before AMPS and PMPS, it's OK for him to eat small snacks (and actually better for him than trying to feed only twice a day)

You've got it pretty right though!! Test to make sure they're high enough for insulin, Feed to make sure they're at least willing to eat and Shoot.

Most of us shoot while their head is in the bowl....as long as he's not sick and refusing food, you can safely give Lantus because it's usually not going to start to "kick in" for 2-3 hours after the shot.

Most of us T/F/S all in about 5-10 minutes.

If you can grab another test before you leave for work, that's great....If you can set your schedule so you can get that test at least 2 hours after the shot, that can tell you a lot about what you should expect later in the cycle (and whether you should plan on leaving some extra higher carb food down if you can't come home to test or find someone who can help you)

If that +2 is lower than the Pre-shot, that's a good "early warning" that you might want to leave down some higher carb food because kitty might be going too low later in the cycle.

3. Blackjack

Blackjack New Member

Thank you! I am going to have to adjust the time of injection to fit my work schedule. The vet was giving an injection at 7am and another at 7pm. I think the hardest part is testing his sugar. He is such a wiggly worm and the vet said it was hard to get blood from his ear. Apparently he does not bleed easily!

beggargirl likes this.
  4. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

His ears will learn to bleed as you continue to do the testing. Welcome, and good start. Head bumps

5. Blackjack

Blackjack New Member

Thank you, going to try now!

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Takes a few weeks for the capillaries to grow. Glad you are attempting home testing!

7. Blackjack

Blackjack New Member

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.