No BG drop or change

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by hold short, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hold short

hold short New Member

Should I be seeing lower numbers already. We do a pre shot test in the morning and evening but, we have yet to see a consistent drop. We are currently on 1 Unit of Lantus twice a day but, are still in the 300's.

Will be running a curve tomorrow to see if we get anything different throughout the day.

I am just a tad worried that by delaying an increase in dosage this will get worse. Thanks for any advice.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Could Mister have an infection or other problem? That could explain the inconsistent BGs/not mush drop sometimes. My Badger had erratic and high BGs and some oozing from left ear. Antibiotics (tried both topical in the ear and systemic via mouth)would clear up the ear and result in consistent and good BGs the high/erratic BGs would come back after stopping the antibiotics. The cause of the oozing was a polyp in the ear. After the polyp was surgically removed excellent and low BGs were obtained.

3. Mollycat

Mollycat Member

4. Mollycat

Mollycat Member

Hi, I'm a new member.
    I have a 12 yr old male cat . Diagnosed 11 mos ago and still not regulated. We started on Lantus in April 2018. Blood sugars averaging around 400, never less than high 200's but right back up to 600's so we kept increasing by half units. . Eventually up to 7units twice a day, vet suspecting insulin resistance. We recently switched to Prozinc this Feb 15 . Started at 1 unit for a week. He was awful...drinking almost constantly, flooding the litterbox and eating an unbelieveable amount of food. The blood sugars off the meter over 600. Up to 2 for a few days, 500 plus, up to 3 few days, still high, 4, then, 5 now 6.This past Wednesday the am test was 286. I was told he is insulin resistant and keep him at 6. Two hours later it was almost 500. Today's test before food or insulin was plus 600. He's lost weight but not drinking a lot or flooding the litter box. Eating only friskies pate and fancy feast classic pate. No dry. In daily contact with vet. They feel at this point just watch for clinical signs and test at various times throughout the day. I'm a registered nurse and and using the Relion glucometer , testing on his ear without difficulty. Acromegaly had been mentioned as a factor. He does have irritable bowel but no vomiting or diarrhea. I read these forums and appreciate any input. Thank you!!

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

@Mollycat Welcome to FDMB. I suggest you copy this message, start your own thread in this forum (Main Heath forum) and post the message there. You can use a title to indicate you are a new member and need some help. Then the experienced members are going to see your concerns and questions and help you address them. I would be afraid that posting here in someone else's thread you might get overlooked and we don't want that to happen.
    Create a signature so your kitty's information is available with each of your posts:
    (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.
    Another thing that will help us help you since you are BG testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. We can all see it and look at it before offering suggestions and advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.