No decrease in BG but did decrease water consumption?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by paige, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hello All,

Webber has a long history of constipation. When I switched to 100% wet food and he had not yer started insulin I was soooo happy because we was starting to have quite regular bowel movements.

I always add extra water to all the wet food to make it like a think shake and all four cats are eating this only. I have found that since I switched all of them to 100% wet food (01/02/10) I am never having to fill any water dishes in the mornings. I used to have at least two water bowls that would be empty in the mornings, but now they are still full. I am assuming that they are all now getting their required water consumption from the wet food. Does that sound accurate? But even Webber, my sugarbaby, has stopped emptying the water fountain on a daily basis.

I have two questions:
    1. Is it okay that all 4 babies are not really drinking from the water dishes? Am I right to assume they are getting enough from the wet food?
    2. Webber is back to being constipated due to him not drinking any extra water. Can anyone recommend something I can give to help him be comfortable? (used to give lactulose).

Thank you for reading this long message ;-)

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Paige,

Yes, it's a weird thing that happens - you add more water to the wet food and they stop drinking from the water dishes. It happened with Maui too (I was told about this happening) so when it did, I didn't freak out.

I do keep plenty of fresh water available as I've noticed they do drink on occasion.

Sorry about the constipation, you could try adding about 1/8 tsp miralax to his food (one time a day). That may help. And miralax is available in any food store or pharmacy. Also, check online, you may be able to find a coupon. Buy the smallest container, as it will last forever.

Others may have other suggestions, that's just one idea I've used with Maui.

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Paige,

wet food especially by adding extra water should be providing enough for kitties.
    As you begin to control Webbers diabetes his water consumption will decrease also. I never saw Lucky drink from her water bowl again and assumed the almost exact amount of water that went from the bowl was due to natural evaporation.

Cats naturally have very little thrist drive as they originate from the dessert.
    You can also approximate Webbers hydration by pulling up his scruff. If it snaps back quick then he is well hydrated. If it's slow/sluggish to drop back then he may be a little dehydrated.
    At various times I did syringe water into Lucky's mouth-you need an excellent relationship with your cat! and this probably isn't something you want to be doing on a daily basis. Just add more water again to food.

The Miralax Hilary mentions does seem to be a popular choice of users on this board (very small amounts though as you could end up with a different problem!)
    Whatever you do, fiber is not the answer for constipation (I'm 99% sure Dr Lisa posted this in someones thread in the last couple of weeks)
    If you have time, always good to run down the list of threads and look in and see what is being talked about, you can pick up all sorts of useful information and tips.

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

When Luna was DX'd and began the wet food diet, I switched his civie sister (nondiabetic) to wet food too, and began adding water to their food.
    And the water drinking stopped, I still put down a fresh dish of water, to this day, I don't see them drinking it, if they do - it's behind my back lol

One of the most amazing things you will notice after the transition is their fur will get softer and cleaner. So yes, they are getting their water intake from the change over to wet food + a bit of water added. The litter box gets better too.

5. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

I think you might have been talking about this discussion - or at least that's the one that immediately came to my mind - constipation suggestions. I've linked you to JJ's post and two down from that is Dr. Lisa's comments on JJ's post and on Miralax.

There might be other posts recently too but I couldn't find any.

6. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

I've noticed this with my babies, too - especially my sugarkitty, Porky. He was emptying his water bowl daily, and sticking his face in everyone's water glass. He would come running at the sound of running water, and I would have to let him drink out of the faucet. In fact, he figured out how to turn the faucet on himself :!: , by bumping it with his massive head (it's one of those one-knob type that tilts to turn it on).

But now, I add extra water to their Fancy Feast or Wellness, and I never see them drinking out of their water bowl. Porky's fur is much cleaner and softer, too! :smile:

7. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Well that explains it. Funny thing though...the last 2 times his morning AMPS were pretty high - those are the only mornings I find the water fountain hollering to be filled up. So I guess when he runs in the mid to high 300's he drinks more. Thank you too for the link to the previous link. I remembered reading about that but could not find it. So thanks again!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.