No improvement. Feeling discouraged

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Pudge, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Pudge

Pudge Member

Pudge has been back on the juice since November. Our numbers are constantly a rainbow. I am following the SLGS method and I have reiterated to my partner that we need to be doing more than just AMPS and PMPS tests. AT2 Strips are very expensive for me as I just graduated university.
    I have tried to hold doses a little longer than suggested just because pudge seems to be very volatile and reacts to very small changes.
    Lately we have tried just him eating fancy feast classics and then just weruva and BFF for a week at a time, neither of which seemed to make a big difference. Where do we go from here? Just keep trying to get more day and night tests in and keep following SLGS?
    I know it’s a marathon not a race and maybe I’m just looking for reassurance that we are doing things okay. I feel like a bad kitty mama as I can’t get him regulated and we are always in purple or reds and I worry about what that could do to him long term :(.

2. majandra

majandra Member

Can you pick up a human meter? The pharmacy will fill out a voucher for a free meter if you buy strips. That would help a bit on cost.
    Have you tried any of the presidents choice extra meaty cans? The plain chicken is quite low carb, and good price. The oceanfish and tuna is also a good price and can be bought in large cans. Both of those are about 2%.

Hang in there, things will get better. Someone with more experience on the insulin side of things will reply soon

Pudge likes this.
  3. Pudge

Pudge Member

Thank you! I did get a human meter when he was first diagnosed while waiting to get the AT2. I ran out of strips though. I see you have the freestyle lite meter too, do you remember by chance how much the strips were?

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I have a Freestyle Lite meter too. All strips are expensive in Canada but not like AT strips. A vial of 50 of those was $100 from my vet. Full price for FS Lite strips at Shoppers Drug Mart (and a Rexall near me) is $80 for 100. They might be a little cheaper at other pharmacies so I'd call around. You should be able to get a free FS Lite meter when you buy your first 100 strips.

Re Shoppers: if you have a senior friend or relative they can buy the strips for you on Seniors' Day (Thursdays in Ontario) for a 20% discount, no tax and you can earn Optimum points. I save up Optimum points and buy my strips on Seniors' Day (yeah - old! ;)) and have been able to get them cheaply or almost free.

Pudge and Sandi & Whisper like this.
  5. majandra

majandra Member

I pay about 75 from Independent. Walmart was I think a buck more. Costco is not cheaper than regular pharmacies

Kris & Teasel likes this.