No more feeding tube!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Woden's_mom, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woden's_mom

Woden's_mom Member

As of 3 pm central time today Wodens feeding tube is gone. After comming home he helped himself to a few kitty treats and 1/8th a can of cat food.

I figure we will keep up with lot's of small meals over the course of a day and find a few more tempting bits to put on top of his "soup".

Sence comming home thursday he is up .5lbs from 9.5lbs to 10lbs! The vet was suprised how fast he is getting better. I'll have to find a new way to get him to take his potassium though.

He also jumped on my bed for the first time in 2 weeks that tells me just how much better he is feeling. I'm going to keep doing everything we have been but sans tube and working toward those good solid meals.

2. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

I've been looking for an update on Woden so I'm glad to read such wonderful news.

Congrats to both of you.

Pam & Layla

3. Woden's_mom

Woden's_mom Member

Forgot to mention were back up to 1u 2x a day lantis for the week, todays vet visit puts a crimp ion my curving him today as theat allways stresses the bejebus out of him.

4. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

I wouldn't worry too much about curving him just yet. Try to get the preshot numbers, and a spotcheck mid-cycle etc. to make sure he is safe. Layla's numbers were always wonky the first week or two after a serious illness, so, I might suggest waiting until next weekend to do a full curve - concentrate on preshots and spotchecks.

5. Woden's_mom

Woden's_mom Member

yeah, just going to continue with trying to get that 6+ check and the pream/pm.

He is still kinda half eating.. just licking up bits of gravy and liquified pate and babyfood. I kinda got him to eat a good chunk by adding some catnip to a plate. I'm just worried he is not geting enough in him so far were only about 2/3 of a can of FF down. Tonight before bed I'll assist feed him a half of a can. I'm just worried about all the carbs he has ingested. But I know him eating carbs is better then him eating nothing so we will keep at it.

I know his throat is sore after haveing that tube in him for over a week. So little steps. Right.

6. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

It's great he's eating - just keep encouraging.

Dr. Lisa likes fortiflora sprinkled on food to encourage eating, viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19370
    and many also like to sprinkle a small amount of parmesan cheese on the food to encourage eating.

When my cat was ill, she tended to like food that was not part of her normal diet, so I ended up buying a lot of different types to try. When recovering from a serious illness I wouldn't worry so much about carbs as I would about eating, but of course it is something to consider.

Look for the fortiflora and the cheese and try those.

Good luck!

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Way to go Woden!! :RAHCAT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.