No pink numbers in 10 days- progress?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Nancy and Cody, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Cody's getting 5.5 ounces of food every 12 hrs with a small chix breast snack at bedtime. He seems happier lately, since we increased his food. Megacolon is better but we still haven't found the perfect dose of miralax.

I read some of the acrocat backgrounds and its surprising how many snore. I can't say I've noticed it lately, but I'm pretty sure Cody snores. We noticed a couple years ago that he stopped curling in a ball, and likes to be really stretched out when he sleeps. I figure it has something to do with his insides needing room.

Any comments on his recent numbers? No pink (or cake or pie, or tomatoes) in over a week.

2. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Looking so much better! I think I would raise his dose by another 0.5u... what do you think and feel comfortable with?

FInding the right Miralax dose can be quite an art. My Gabi(GA) at one point needed 1 tsp bid before we were able to lower it, but once it works it's great. Are you adding water to his food to help compensate for the moisture the Miralax draws to the colon?

Amazing how cake can affect bg's isn't it? :lol:

3. Nancy and Cody

Yes, as for water, he gets approx <1/4 cup added to both meals, and he gets 100-150 ml LRS every night. I've recently increased (to 1/4c) water in food, and decreased LRS to about 100 ml. This seems like a lot, but he rarely drinks.

Funny story about drinking :D , the boys have a pet beta fish and his bowl is their very favorite water bowl. I'll have to send pictures. It's from my daughter's failed attempt at sorority life, and now the stupid thing is still looking happy and healthy... 2+ years. Ahh he entertains the boys.... :lol:

I can see that the Miralax will be great because his stomach palpates so much softer now. I thought 1/8 was it, but were gonna try 1/4 BID for at least 4 days.....delayed gratification :lol:

As for an increase, I agree and am just kind of waiting for 7 days of 5 so I don't get yelled at. I would really love to avoid huge doses again. Does it look inevitable? :?: :sad: Prozinc does act quite differently than Vetsulin did. I recently found an old curve at 7 units vetsulin and the nadir was like 296 with most numbers much higher. I still seriously wonder if the next (undropped) Prozinc bottle is going to work better. You can be sure we'll be decreasing the first dose. Never thought I'd wish a bottle would get empty... cat_pet_icon

4. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Why are you waiting 7 days between increases? When I used PZI the longest I ever waited was like 3 days... I used a sliding scale with it eventually and at times the scale was changed daily.

Love the mental image of the boys with the beta fish! I bet it's adorable. :cool:

5. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Ohhh what a pretty spreadsheet! :lol:

I'm sorry to sound so stupid - why do you have to wait all those days? because of the vet? or because of "settling" the dose?....Like Carolynn we too used a sliding scale where we adjusted the dose based on the BG. So I'm just trying to understand why the wait for so long between increases. I promise we wouldn't yell at you! :YMHUG:

But yet Nancy - you have lots of time now below 250 - that is oftentimes considered the "renal threshhold" where the kidneys start to spill sugar in the urine.

2 years for a beta fish - woo hoo. I don't know tht I ever got mine to live that long as a college student. And the cats never try to "catch" their dinner??? :shock:

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I think 7 days between increases is the "Newbie" level advice - as experience grows and especially if a diagnosis of Acro (I think Cody has not been tested yet), the time between increases can be reduced. I think 3 days / 6 doses is the shortest duration to hold a dose for regular diabetics cats on Lantus / Levemir.

7. Nancy and Cody

When I went in Saturday (at closing time, without an appt) to drop off Spreadsheets and cry about the meter inconsistencies, she (my vet) took a look at them and made some comment about increasing my doses too fast on a few occasions.
    I do push the limit with her, so I'm trying to also be respectful. Besides after this long what's the difference, things aren't getting worse. (knock on wood) He seems to be OK with the slow downward creep. just hope it continues.

I have often wondered if all my independent decisions to increase vetsulin got us in the flatline we have now. I just doubt myself.

The renal threshold is why I was so p/o when I realized that the real numbers are all probably 100 points higher than what I've recorded. (a big mental step backward). I recently bought ketodiastix and they are maxing out on the glucose, but as always, neg on ketones.

I'll "give her face", as the Chinese say, and let her tell me what we all know- raise the dose. I need to find out if she found out any good news on the acro test cost anyway. Does anybody know when it has to be at their lab (MSU) in order to be processed on Wed? I suppose draw Monday, overnight it with ice packs, delivered Tues, tested Wed-Friday? Does he still look like an acrocat readings? :?:

8. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

My vet took blood on Saturday for the test just because I work M-F. And I live about 50 miles away from the MSU lab -- still overnight shipped though for convenience.

If the sample is taken Monday, it should arrive in time for the Wednesday test --- be glad they test every week now - used to be run only twice per month.

9. Nancy and Cody

I started feeding differently today and it seemed to be a good thing. I split breakfast and gave him the rest (1/4th) after his +6 reading. I did a similar thing at dinner. hate to say it too loud but, Its coming down.. :thumbup

10. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Hi Nancy,
    Just checking in on you and Cody.

I know with Merlin we fed him 4 small meals/day. I liked to think it helped with him being hungry all the time and that way he felt like he was always getting something to eat! dancing_cat Of course he still loved to get into casserole dishes, tupperware dishes, etc, etc, etc... :shock:

11. Nancy and Cody

your best friend at cooking time? :lol:

I think we might be seeing something encouraging... of the last 15 readings over 3 days there have only been 3 over 250. My memory stinks, but I don't think I've ever seen a string of numbers that low for him... holding my breath... go ProZinc!

and he's a bit more lively.... he's been out under the bird feeder, pretending to be a statue 3 days in a row. hurray

12. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

** land here, birdie!! :arrow: :eek:

13. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

haha_smiley Phoebe!

Nancy, things are looking good! Can't wait to see what an increase will do. Sounds like things are improving for both of you. Woohoo!

Read your comment re the coyotes.... didn't want to :lol: , but I did! dancing_cat

14. Nancy and Cody

Carolynn, I'm really glad we made you smile! (all the critters just gives me so much material, that's why God put them in our lives- to make us smile) :RAHCAT

FYI, I think and pray about Fletcher a lot. And I think you and Patti are doing a wonderful thing moderating this forum. I REALLY appreciate you guys being here and I wanted you both to know that. \M/

How, did you like my Sherlock Holmes with the Ketodiastix- I never catch him and I feel bad yelling at both of them...I get the "it wasn't me, i'm innocent, how could you think I did that? face :twisted: funny little men....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.