No shot for blood readings between 150-200? Been wondering.

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Natalie and Ziggy, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

So I know the rule of thumb, as far as I've read, is that if a cat has a blood sugar reading below 200, then it's safer to not give a shot. I've held to this rule so far, but the problem is that every time I skip Ziggy's shot due to low numbers, he zooms up to the 400s or 500s within the next couple of hours, and he has to suffer with that until his next test.

I'm wondering if I could possibly give him a tiny shot if his numbers are between 150 and 200?

For background: right now he's on a range between 3.75U and 4.25U (the former for when he has lower readings, the latter for higher readings) and both values bring him down quite a lot, though he's never gone below 50. If anything, 3.75U has helped him stay between 100 and 250 lately.

Any thoughts on whether I could give him a tiny shot -- maybe .25U -- when he's between 150 and 200, just so he doesn't have to endure high numbers throughout the day/night?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Yes you can give a reduced dose... Or just stall up to an hour and see if it goes up. If it is close to 200 and you can monitor maybe reduce it to 3-3.25

3. Leah

Leah Member

I've learned with mine that as long as he's eating I'm ok to give his normal dose (he's on 0.5u), but that was through trial and error and of course ECID ;)

4. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

I gave him a shot of 1 U the other day when he had a reading of 161. That allowed him to stay in the mid-100s throughout the evening, though he was in the mid-400s by the AM. So a reduced dose helps a little, though it doesn't usually last.

Leah likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.