No success with the new Smart Cat Box...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sherry and Harley, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Hi-

So, I purchased the Smart Cat Box and changed everything out tonight. Haha...got on a cleaning kick when I made the change, which is why I'm still up at almost 4am (well, that and taking a new curve)!! Her new potty room is spotless floor to ceiling!! Harley is not as excited as I am about her new clean potty. I know she needs to go because she's walked in there a dozen times. She sniffs around for 15 seconds or so and then walks out of the room. Is anyone else using this system? It's the one that has slots on the bottom and the litter is made out of seeds...the urine goes through the bottom into a reservoir, making for easing testing and disposal. Seems like a brilliant idea, but she's not really having it. Any suggestions? She doesn't seem distressed at all. She's actually laying right next to me on the couch, purring away. I'm SO excited to get rid of the clay litter....so much dust....so bad for the environment, but if she's not going to use it, it's worthless! I also just switched to Lantus last night, so her BGs are way higher than normal (which I'm told is an empty shed issue). I'm worried that it's dangerous with the higher BGs if she's not going.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

s

2. Dale

Dale Member

Here are a couple of ideas...

1. Put the old litter box (with clean litter) next to the new one for a while. Let him use both for awhile then when he's going more in the Smartbox than the old box, then you can take the old box away.
    2. Take some old poo from the old system and put it in the Smartbox so she can "smell herself" in the new system. I've heard people tell others on this list who may have accidentally lost a cat to take the contents of the litterbox and spread it around the yard to let the cat realize this is home territory.
    3. Give him time to adjust. Cats just don't like change. The box is higher (probably) than you old system and he's not used to that.

Just a couple of ideas.

3. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

When I was switching to a self-cleaning litter box, I left the old regular box right next to it in the same room. I let the old box get dirtier than the self-cleaning box, so they would opt for the cleaner box. It's a bit of a smelly method to use, but they made the switch no problem. Just an idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.