non diabetic cat on diabetic food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dbdb, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbdb

dbdb Member

We have two cats, only one is diabetic. However they both eat the same food and it would be difficult to split them. Is there any problem with a non diabetic cat eating diabetic cat food? Do cats in remission stay on the diabetic food (I imagine they do)?

The are brother and sister both 9 years old, both neutered. They eat dry food and I don't want to change that. The diabetic cat is slightly overweight at 6.2kg. His sister is OK at 4.6kg and has been that weight since she was 1 year old.

Current food, Hill science plan mature
    carb 46%
    fat 16%
    protein 38%

Proposed new food Hills prescription m/d
    Carb 12%
    fat 12%
    protein 76%

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yes, once a diabetic cat, always a diabetic cat. If you achieve remission, the low carb diet is key to maintain that.

No. The main difference in the 'diabetic' cat foods is their lower carb content. There is nothing special about the food that would affect the non-diabetic cat.

Cats don't need to eat carbs. Their bodies are specially adapted to take the protein and fats in their diet and convert that to glycogen to give them all the energy they need.

Obesity can contribute to insulin resistance. As part of your diabetic management plan for your cat, you should have him lose weight.

Diabetic cats are prone to UTI's due to the sugar rich environment of their urinary tract system when they are above the renal threshold (230-280). Since cats do not have much of a thirst drive, the lack of moisture content in the dry food can contribute to dehydration in a diabetic cat. While unregulated, the excess urine production can lead to dehydration.

Additional water in the diet will help to 'flush out' the kidneys and lower the chances of recurrent UTI's.

3. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

If you're going to continue feeding dry food, I would suggest switching to a lower carb dry food like Young Again Zero Carb, Evo Cat & Kitten, or Wellness Core which are all around 11% carbs or less. In general, it is best to feed all cats around 12% or less of carbs and diabetics less than 10% carbs (the lower the better). Unfortunately, those three dry foods I listed above are pretty much it in the "low carb" department for dry food. Might I ask why you don't want to switch them to wet?

4. dbdb

dbdb Member

Those foods are available in the UK but the one I gave the figures for seems similar. I would like to keep them on dry because they are (or were) very low maintenance and independent cats, they come and go when they like, they are good with each other, they have a cat litter outside and they get fed by machine which I fill up once every few weeks. We go away often, they hate car travel so they stay behind. A neighbour can give injections but I wouldn't want to add opening cans and serving up as well.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A possible solution to the canned food issue mentioned:

You could make ahead frozen patties of food.

All the sitter would have to do is put 1 in the frig to thaw for the next feeding and put a thawed package down.

Use disposable plates and there'd be nominal cleanup.

6. Ashley&Betsea

Ashley&Betsea New Member

Definitely keep an eye out for possible UTIs. I have a cat with chronic UTI/crystal problems who is on a prescription food, I was told by my vet not to feed him the dry food for my diabetic cat. I would however think switching them to a canned diet would be better for everyone. The more I read the more I'm convinced canned diets are the way to go!!

7. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Ashley, you should not feed ANY cat a dry food, and the fancy expensive vet foods are nothing special.
    Go to catinfo.org and read all about dry food and the real causes of your cat's chronic uti and crystals problem.... it's the food you are giving that is causing the problems.

Diabetic cats should not be eating dry food.

Gayle

8. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

I agree with Gayle because I personally believe that dry food is the cause of most stomach health issues with cats. Since transitioning my civvies to a raw diet (still working on two of them) their health issues have completely dissappeared. I completely understand that cats are easier to care for when you can just leave a bowl of dry food for them. I myself am coming up on a vacation and am going to have to pay dearly for a twice-a-day cat sitter to care for my sugarcat and put lots of wet food down for my civvies. To me though, it is worth it not to have to deal with irratated bowels or crystals or kidney problems or pills or vet bills. Even my 13 year old has a lot more spunk and a lot more years in her - and that matted fur is a thing of the past. I will always be an advocate for transitioning cats off dry food. It's like a bad drug...

I do rely on cat-cicles a lot. If they are hungry, they will eat them.

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

As you will see there is a very strong preference here to not feed dry food to cats for many reasons, especially health related.

However, there are some people who do feed dry food and while we encourage feeding wet (canned or raw food), that isn't always possible.

Another alternative you could try is a freeze dried raw food product by Stella & Chewy's. Not sure if it is available in the UK, but you could do a search and look for it as well as something similar.

Here is a link to their website and the product: http://www.stellaandchewys.com/cat-products.php

As you can see it comes in several flavors and while it is supposed to be served with added water, you can serve it dry and put it in a feeder too.

My cats love it dry and it's a good alternative to dry food. Low carb, quality ingredients, etc.

Just something else to consider.

10. No.
    That assumes however that the nondiabetic cats don't have some other condition. Like CKD for instance where you need to be concerned about phosphorus levels. It's somewhat difficult to find a low-carb food that is also low in phosphorus, so in some cases you have to balance the two to fit the needs of the specific cat. As with most things, there aren't many "cookie-cutter" answers when we're dealing with cats.

Ideally, yes. In a perfect world, cat food would not contain any source of carbohydrates since cats have no need or use for them.

Totally your call. But if you've spent any time looking around this board, or if you've ever read any of Dr. Pierson's catinfo.org site, you'll understand how we feel, and why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.