? Non sugar Kitty Eating Habbits

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vegetable (GA), Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a non diabetic kitty that seems to always want to eat? When I say always I mean everytime I open a can of cat food for Veg our other cat Spaz tries to push veg out of the way so she can pig on the food and this is right after she literally just finished eating her own food. This happens all the time, no matter if she just ate or not.

Out of curiosity I checked Spaz's BS one day and she was in the normal range so I dont think its health related but more behavior. Any suggestions on how to deal with her? It's getting beyond ridiculous I cant leave ANY food out or Spaz will eat it. She has some dry kibble to eat as well I give her some wet food and she always gets to lick the can of food I feed vegetable. Spaz is a big girl, about 20 pounds big.

2. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Was her BG check recent? How old is Spaz? Is she big boned and tall, or is she chubby?
    You can try adding water to her wet food to see if the increased volume will fill her up more, but I doubt this will work. What foods is she on? Are they high protein? More protein is also more filling.

3. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Not to worry you, but I think Speckles started acting like that about 6-8mon before he became diabetic. Hopefully this will not happen to Spaz, but I would keep a close eye on the BG.

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yep, that's how Bubba started, always part hog, that boy. Ok, so that said, are you feeding Spaz the same diet you are feeding for Veg? If so, and she doesn't get overweight, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Nice to have a meter to check though, isn't it? I check everyone!!! LOL

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  5. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

@SpecklesandMe @Bobbie And Bubba Spaz is about 13, she is a few months older then vegetable. Spaz is a big girl, she is big boned and chubby. I feed Spaz and the other kitties the natures variety instinct dry food. Veg only gets fancy feast, i try to keep her out of the dry food as much as possible but Spaz does get a cant of FF a couple of times a week and almost every day she is at least licking out the empty can of ff that was vegetables food not to mention she licks out vegetables empty food bowl. She acts like shes starving all the time. I'll post a pic of Spaz later, I don't have one on my phone and I'm at work right now so DH is going to send me one later.

6. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Would you consider just putting Spaz on Fancy Feast too? If she is prediabetic, this would prob be a good thing to do anyway.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

Yeah, that's what I am thinking too. Since she is such a chow hound, getting rid of the higher carb dry food will hopefully keep her from becoming a diabetic cat too. I can't imagine having to deal with two cats that are diabetic.....

8. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

image.jpg In case you're interested, I recently requested and received from Natures Variety the carb count of their kibble.

9. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My one-yr-old Bengal is like that, too. She's always looking for food, she even gets in the trash and tears the bag apart. She steals bags of treats and rips them up, too. She'll steal food containers out of the kitchen and wrestle with them to try and open them, hoping she'll find food inside. She is making me nuts! I've only had her about 3 months, so I don't know what her situation was before, just that she was a rescue. She also has IBD, don't know whether or not that makes her hunger/behavior worse, and she's on a restricted diet because of it, but she gets plenty of food. She eats three good-sized meals a day.

10. Bobbie And Bubba

My Siamese, Sug, GA, was the same way. I kept the dry kibble in a huge plastic container with a lid and if I left it out on the counter, she would jump up on the counter and get the lid off my continuously biting around the edge! It had all these little holes in the lid.....she also had IBD.

11. Squalliesmom

Candy will actually scour the floor for any little bit of food someone might have dropped. She is forever picking up something off the carpet and eating it, and I may not be the best housekeeper around but I know it can't always be food she's finding! She's doing it now while I type this. God only knows what she ingests! SHe will also stalk, kill and eat bugs, even spiders, and she eats cobwebs, too.

I think there must be something missing from their diets to make kitties behave this way, but I have no idea what that something might be.

SpecklesandMe and Brashworks like this.
  12. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Sharon, thank you for that! My boy Picasso is giving me a lot of grief transitioning to wet food and I feed the NV Instinct Chicken. I had thought it was more like 17%, so the 12% they posted to you is a comfort.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  13. Bobbie And Bubba

Squalliesmom likes this.
  14. Squalliesmom

15. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

I just got home & tested spaz's blood sugar, she's at 68. Is that a normal reading for a non sugar kitty?

Here is a pic of spaz. image.jpg

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Well of course Spaz would be eating in the photo! HA I believe the range is 60- 120 for cats. So, Spaz was at the low end. Must have been hungry!!

17. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

@Bobbie And Bubba Lol yup she's always got her face into some kind of food!

@Squalliesmom yoh just described Spaz perfectly! I couldn't help but laugh as I read what you were saying, the same thing happens in my house.

@Sharon14 rhanks for the info. I new the natures variety was one of the lower carb foods but I wasn't exactly sure how low carb it is.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  18. Squalliesmom

Wow, she really is a big girl! My Candy is tiny. I just finished feeding everybody and Candy gulped hers down, now she is pestering all the others for their food, as well. This is not a very good pic of her, sorry! IMG_1086.JPG

19. Bobbie And Bubba

She is beautiful!!!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  20. Squalliesmom

Thanks, that's really not a good pic of her, though.

21. Squalliesmom

@Vegetable, I'm sorry, I feel like I hijacked your thread, I really didn't mean to! Please accept my apologies!

22. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

@Squalliesmom no worries, you didn't high Jack anything! Candy sure is a beautiful little girl :) I love seeing pics of everyone's kitties & hearing about Candy & everyone else's kitties eating habits makes me feel like I'm not alone having a bit of a vacume cleaner when it comes to food lol

23. Squalliesmom

Thanks :). Candy is a super-charged Hoover, for sure! Nothing in her path is safe, lol!

24. Bobbie And Bubba

I have two grandcats that are ossicats. They are really pretty too but, gotta say, Lucy, your Candy is stunning, like a petite leopard.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  25. Squalliesmom

Aww, thanks! Her "big brother," my other Bengal, is even more striking than Candy. He's a brown marbled Bengal and he just takes my breath away.

26. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Would love to see pics of him too!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  27. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

Me too!

28. Squalliesmom

I will post pics of him in Community and Off Topic!

29. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

So, does Spaz ever have any IBD-like symptoms? No on-and-off again diarrhea, right? It occurred to me after I read Lucy's posts that Speckles had suspected IBD too, though it was never confirmed. Seems like a common link between some of the above posts; so just thought I'd ask. (BTW, my Specklesy boy would also eat spiders!)

granadilla and Squalliesmom like this.
  30. Squalliesmom

All my kitties will eat the occasional bug, but none of mine have ever eaten spiders; Candy will stalk, kill and eat even big spiders! And I have no idea why she eats cobwebs but it makes me uneasy, my sweet Beezie that I lost to kidney disease started eating cobwebs a few months before he left us.

31. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

@SpecklesandMe no IBD symptoms at all, she just likes to constantly eat. shes been a healthy kitty except she had pyometra a few years ago. After she had surgery she's bee healthy. Like I said she just wants to constantly eat, it's like she's starving all the time.

32. Bobbie And Bubba

Bubba ate a cicada and threw it up the evening before his dental appointment. Both my boys will chase them and play with them outside. Love watching them stand on their hind legs and swatch them out of the air.

SpecklesandMe and Squalliesmom like this.
  33. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Hmm... no pre-diabetes, no IBD- maybe it's not anything to worry about then? A lot of us love food! lol

Squalliesmom likes this.
  34. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Love the markings on her.

35. Olive & Paula

What about the opposite- hypoglycemic cat???

Squalliesmom likes this.
  36. Squalliesmom

Huh, funny, I never even thought about that! Sound like it's worth investigating, thanks! :)

37. Olive & Paula

It's probably rare but worth a thought. In my family my grandmother, mother and sister are diabetic, yet I'm hypoglycemic. I am big on the sweets and carbs and I'm all for the easy prep of pre packaged food that go in microwave. Yet hypoglycemic. Today I had my blood work done. Fasting 12 hrs is difficult. Bring my candy bar and chocolate milk with me (half hour ride) and picked up the replacement on way home. Called hubby and told him to start my breakfast, it was on the table when I walked in the door. Does it really have to be 12 hrs? I don't think people including Doctors understand it enough and know how dangerous true hypoglycemic can be.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  38. Bobbie And Bubba

Sharon, I am hypoglycemic too, my mother and grandmother both Type 2 diabetics. They were both sweet eaters too, Mammy always had a box of chocolates going. From what I have research, sweet eaters, ( I am reformed with an occasional sweet) are hypo first, their pancreas spilling insulin to help with all the sugar, until their pancreas wears out and stops producing insulin. That scared me and I cleaned up my act. Good book, oldie but good "Low Blood Sugar and You" By Carlton Fredericks. Good read and will enlighten you about the sugar yo-yo.

ETA I mean PAULA , sorry about that!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  39. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Any chance she has worms?

40. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

No chance of works.

I'm wondering if she is jealous cause Vegetable gets more attention cause of the diabetes or maybe she just prefers wet food.

Next payday I'm going to take her in for a checkup.

granadilla and Squalliesmom like this.
  41. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Honestly, this would be a great problem to have. Many people can't get their dry kibble addicts to touch wet food. FF is smelly and maybe she likes that?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  42. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

Spaz likes anything she can possibly eat! This afternoon she decided to kick out the chip bag, I managed to get a pic lol

image.jpeg

granadilla and SpecklesandMe like this.
  43. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

OMG! Love the pic! That's super hilarious.
    (And I love your cats' names too.)

44. Squalliesmom

That's too cute! I love Vegetable looking at her, too, like she's saying, "Find anything good in there?" lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.