normal blood glucose range

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jodi & Jasmine, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

I am wondering exactly what is the normal range for blood glucose for a diabetic cat? I have been told different numbers. I have been told that if my cat tests 8.83 mmol or lower to skip her insulin does. I have also been told that if her glucose is 10-12 mmol that I should skip her dose. What exactly are the numbers I should be looking for? Also, for a well regulated cat what range should I see on a curve? I know all cats are different but approximately? Thank you.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's a table with bg levels: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Blood ... guidelines

There are varying opinions and every cat is different. I would like to see a cat, off insulin, under 100. Most non diabetic cats run 50 - 80 ish. (On this board we use the American system, so multiply your numbers by 18 or divide ours by 18) We usually say, with new kitties to insulin, don't shoot under 200 unless you have the data that will show you how your cat will react. So skipping the dose at 180- 216 (10 - 12) is a good rule at first. Your 8.83 is 159. That certainly falls under the 200 rule.

When you have a lot of data on how your cat reacts to insulin, you can shoot at lower numbers. Most people have to do that to get their cat regulated eventually.

Hope that helps.

3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Star - while my boy was on his OTJ trial (off the juice "insulin" trial period) we were looking for BG's under 100. What kind of insulin are you giving?

4. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

Hi Paige, She is currently on caninsulin but next week we are switching her over to gargline. Her readings have been about 13 mmol but she is getting very little insulin, 2 units x2 using a u-100 syringe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.